Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 06:19:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Halving in 24 hours , SegWit not released yet ?  (Read 1126 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 07:09:20 AM

Segwit was in April. This posts are just FUD.  Cool

no it's not in play right now, only in testnet it seems which is pointless, it was already tested, if there is not enough consensus not all node will run it
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 08:16:01 AM

Segwit is mostly working. It's been tested for a long time. The problem is not the code itself, but the problem of whether the community accepts it. If they don't, then it would also mean  a bad rep for them.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2016, 03:41:00 PM

To be fair since the halving has been closing in there seems to be a lot less talk of blocks being filled up,  I'm not sure if we even have enough users to fill them up at the moment in anything other than a spam attack.  I'm quite happy to wait a few months for segwit.  We've waited this long anyway.
That may be very well a temporary thing. It is just a matter of time before a certain 'group' of people attempt to incite even further disruption with their nonsense. They've been pushing the date of the 'catastrophic-all blocks are full-event' further and further into the future. It just doesn't seem to come. The capacity boost that should be provided with Segwit should come gradually which should help 'ease' the additional resource usage by nodes.

I do hope that the transactions are lightning fast.
This has nothing to do with the speed of transactions, which is practically 'almost' constant, i.e. is almost instant.

Segwit is mostly working. It's been tested for a long time. The problem is not the code itself, but the problem of whether the community accepts it. If they don't, then it would also mean  a bad rep for them.
Well, that's not a 'problem' yet. This is a soft fork, meaning the community does not necessarily have to adopt it. Although with greater adoption comes greater capacity.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 03:51:22 PM

Are they definitely going to release segwit? or is it still just an idea that they may release, in order to do this, they would probably also have to change a lot of the blockchain around!
How about either reading my previous post or doing some research? Segwit is both released (in April) & merged (in Juni). Currently the developers are finalizing the release of the next client (0.12.2 and 0.13.0). They also have to set up Segwit activation parameters and then everything will be 'ready' for activation. Since this is a soft fork, it requires no such thing as you've mentioned (whatever it may mean).

I said that it may need testing for the time to ensure the SegWit definitely works.
I know fundamental SegWit information, but read it in around May so may need to revisit it. As it is the storage of transaction mesages inside the first part of the transaction (where sending addresses are stored)!
Everything requires some sort of testing to ensure it works correctly! As it changes some pats of the way that future transactions may be stores, it will take some testing for security purposes, even if it is a soft fork of the development.
It is interesting to knw that it was added to the client in April and the developers are still waiting on its activation for the network if no testing is needed?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: