Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:19:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Runaway Exception please help guys..  (Read 705 times)
chaztekno (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 04:50:29 PM

ok so i had a bitcoin wallet on an old p4 pc, havnt booted it up in a few years now. turned it on today and tried to open my wallet. after about 5 minutes i get this message in a box in the middle of the screen

EXCEPTION:11DbException
Db::put:Not enough space
C:\ProgramFiles\Bitcoin.qt.exe in Runaway exception

any ideas please people?, your my only hope.

thanks in advance, regards

chaztekno

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2016, 04:54:52 PM

First of all, you are probably running a super old, out of date software that might have some issues with connecting to the network.

Secondly, the blockchain is very big, it looks like you ran out of disk space so it crashed.

chaztekno (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 04:57:38 PM

ok so what do you suggest please? im not super i.t savvy but kinda know basics. any help or advice would be great, i have bitcoins in there and thought they were safe saved away.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2016, 05:04:03 PM

ok so what do you suggest please? im not super i.t savvy but kinda know basics. any help or advice would be great, i have bitcoins in there and thought they were safe saved away.
Firstly, back up your wallet. Open the windows file explorer and type into the top bar
Code:
%appdata%/Bitcoin
and hit enter. You should see a file named wallet.dat. Copy that file to a safe location.

Next, you should install the latest version of Bitcoin Core, 0.12.1. You can download that here: https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Also, your hard drive is probably too small. To run Bitcoin Core, you will need to have a larger hard drive or enable pruning.

chaztekno (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 05:06:52 PM

Firstly, back up your wallet. Open the windows file explorer and type into the top bar
Code:
%appdata%/Bitcoin
and hit enter. You should see a file named wallet.dat. Copy that file to a safe location.

Next, you should install the latest version of Bitcoin Core, 0.12.1. You can download that here: https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Also, your hard drive is probably too small. To run Bitcoin Core, you will need to have a larger hard drive or enable pruning.

thankyou matey, i'm about to get some food but will try and resolve this later. i will keep you informed. thanks again for giving me hope lol, and the advice, you are a star.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 05:21:23 PM

Code:
%appdata%/Bitcoin

thankyou matey, i'm about to get some food but will try and resolve this later. i will keep you informed. thanks again for giving me hope lol, and the advice, you are a star.

The most important advice was make a backup or two of the wallet before doing anything more.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16625

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2016, 05:25:20 PM

After that 2 backups, make another one, just to be sure Smiley

Any idea what's in your wallet? A surprise of hundreds of Bitcoins? Or just dust that's barely worth it?

My suggestion would be to install a latest client on a modern (and properly secured!) PC, and open your old wallet there. Blockchain is currently 82 GB big, so that's the amount of data you'll have to download to sync. Expect a few days depending on hardware and internet speed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: