Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:42:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.8.1 available  (Read 12507 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 03:35:28 PM

Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.8.1 is now available from:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.1/

This is a maintenance release that adds a new network rule to avoid
a chain-forking incompatibility with versions 0.7.2 and earlier.

Please report bugs using the issue tracker at github:
  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

How to Upgrade
--------------

If you are running an older version, shut it down. Wait
until it has completely shut down (which might take a few minutes for older
versions), then run the installer (on Windows) or just copy over
/Applications/Bitcoin-Qt (on Mac) or bitcoind/bitcoin-qt (on Linux).

If you are upgrading from version 0.7.2 or earlier, the first time you
run 0.8.1 your blockchain files will be re-indexed, which will take
anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the speed of
your machine.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:53:06 PM

for those of us already on 0.8 who mine but don't tweak around with tx construction, do we need to upgrade?
HappMacDonald

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:58:10 PM

for those of us already on 0.8 who mine but don't tweak around with tx construction, do we need to upgrade?

This.

For those of us who run full 0.8.0 nodes, who either don't mine or only pool mine, is 0.8.1 a necessary step up, and if so why? And .. if not can we get an official blessing for our laziness? ;3
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 03:59:36 PM

No; the only 0.8 users who should upgrade are miners who are creating blocks themselves (mining pool operators, solo miners, or people using p2pool).

Big merchants/services/exchanges who want to be as certain as possible they don't end up on the wrong side of a blockchain fork should also upgrade, although I think the risk of that happening if they keep running 0.8.0 is small.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:01:23 PM

this is very well played Gavin.  its time to get everyone off BDB due to its bugginess.  we'll all be better off on Level DB.
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 04:02:37 PM

Thanks for the continued hard work  Grin

Dayofswords

Activity: 138
Merit: 11

Exchange BTC in Telegram https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 06:45:37 PM

hopefully the PPA gets updated faster than last time, it was three days after the release before us linux guys got it.

BTC Banker - Exchange BTC in Telegram bot https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 06:49:56 PM

Many thanks for your diligence. Some in userspace tend to forget that would be no Bitcoin but for the efforts and cooperation of the development and mining communities.
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 07:28:32 PM

I'd like to update, but for me the coincontrol version has become an essential feature for a better control of privacy.
So I'm stuck with the DB_CONFIG workaround until this feature gets picked up by the devs Sad

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 10:33:51 PM

I'd like to update, but for me the coincontrol version has become an essential feature for a better control of privacy.
So I'm stuck with the DB_CONFIG workaround until this feature gets picked up by the devs Sad

Armory will allow this and can be integrated with 0.8.1
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:04:33 PM

Many thanks for your diligence. Some in userspace tend to forget that would be no Bitcoin but for the efforts and cooperation of the development and mining communities.

Agreed. Fast work and much more helpful than the "contributions" made by the authors of the anti-dev threads.

Ivica

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 19e3fc

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:40:17 PM

hopefully the PPA gets updated faster than last time, it was three days after the release before us linux guys got it.

Archlinux here. Latest bitcoin ver is 0.8.1 here.
Don't forget that entire linux world doesn't stop on debs with debian/ubuntu/mint and so on. Smiley

19e3fcoLTu8YVFAU1NywJ88YnHH5kF8ScP - donations are welcome.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 01:45:10 AM

Raw transactions can do everything coin control can, just make sure you include your change as an output.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:03:00 AM

Who maintains this PPA anyway? Is there a way we can verify the .debs from the normal packages just to be 100% safe?

Is it possible to run the linux bitcoin client 100% portably off a flash drive?

Don't use BIPS!
shaitand

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:13:18 AM

0.8.1 is there but SF still claims 0.8.0 is the latest version.
minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:18:11 AM

Just installed 0.81.

Small issue:
Under help->about bitcoin it still says version 0.8.0-beta ?

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
evilpete

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:21:51 PM

Just installed 0.81.

Small issue:
Under help->about bitcoin it still says version 0.8.0-beta ?

Even if it does, you're still OK.  0.8.0 or better is fine.

The only people that 0.8.0 vs 0.8.1 makes a difference for are the large mining pool operators (not the members) or large solo miners.  Those folks already have it under control.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:05:24 AM

upgraded from 0.8 - had to reindex the blockchain for a 2nd time - but i'll do whatever needs to be done

Dayofswords

Activity: 138
Merit: 11

Exchange BTC in Telegram https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 07:26:57 AM

Who maintains this PPA anyway? Is there a way we can verify the .debs from the normal packages just to be 100% safe?

Is it possible to run the linux bitcoin client 100% portably off a flash drive?

Unless bitcoin.org has been comprismised, we're fine since they advertise the PPA.

Bluematt does, he's a contributed a lot to bitcoin development.

Should be possible to run of a flash drive, IDK why you would though.

BTC Banker - Exchange BTC in Telegram bot https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8
neoivan1987

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 05:11:07 AM

Help!!!

I am using Multibit. Do i need to move my bitcoins to another wallet? for example, Blockchain or Bitcoin-Qt 0.8? I am not mining
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: