Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:11:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to integrate a reputable Bitcoin wallet service in a website?  (Read 633 times)
Bukola (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 12:35:17 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2016, 04:26:42 PM by Bukola

I’m planning to build a peer to peer marketplace website where the users themselves will be the buyers and sellers, I want each user to have his/her own Bitcoin wallet to enable each of them to send, receive and view their individual Bitcoin wallet balance on the website.

However, I don’t want to use a bitcoin wallet service which I would build from scratch myself or hire a developer to do it for me, instead, I would prefer if I’m able to integrate an existing reputable Bitcoin wallet service provider (e.g. BitGo, Blockchain, Coinbase e.t.c) in my website.

If the integration is possible, I would not have to worry much about securing the users Bitcoin wallets on the site against hackers, making sure the users' wallets are secured would be the problem of the Bitcoin wallet service provider I'm using. I, the website owner/admin, don't want to have access to the users' wallet without their permission, I believe this integration will enable me to achieve that as well.

I  welcome replies that answer this question or ideas that are better than what I'm asking. Thanks
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TemplarKnightUK

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 01:20:57 PM

I’m planning to build a peer to peer marketplace website where the users themselves will be the buyers and sellers, I want each user to have his/her own Bitcoin wallet to enable each of them to send, receive and view their individual Bitcoin wallet balance on the website.

However, I don’t want to use a bitcoin wallet service which I would build from scratch myself or hire a developer to do it for me, instead, I would prefer if I’m able to integrate an existing reputable Bitcoin wallet service provider (e.g. Bitgo, Blockchain, Coinbase e.t.c) in my website.

If the integration is possible, I would not have to worry much about securing the users Bitcoin wallets on the site against hackers, making sure the users' wallets are secured would be the problem of the Bitcoin wallet service provider I'm using. I, the website owner/admin, don't want to have access to the users' wallet without their permission, I believe this integration will enable me to achieve that as well.

I  welcome replies that answer this question or ideas that are better than what I'm asking. Thanks

You could be able to do this with Coinbase's OAuth2 (as opposed to the CURL one) API, but then it is a shared responsibility for security, I believe, because if your server is compromised, the hacker would be able to spend from your users' wallets.

However, I think the more conventional use of this is for users to be able to purchase things with a wallet-integration service.

fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 266

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 01:28:35 PM

However, I don’t want to use a bitcoin wallet service which I would build from scratch myself or hire a developer to do it for me, instead, I would prefer if I’m able to integrate an existing reputable Bitcoin wallet service provider (e.g. Bitgo, Blockchain, Coinbase e.t.c) in my website.

I  welcome replies that answethe r this question or ideas that are better than what I'm asking. Thanks

Thank you for the final remark - the fact you are concerned with the safety of your customers fund is encouraging.

AFAICT, you could use something like BitGo, but still you are still trusted to orchestrate transactions which take place between users. What if you lied one day?

I have a suggestion. Don't offer a wallet. Securely accept with seller recipient addresses, and have buyers pay directly to them. With bitcoin, if you're the platform, it's possible to avoid handling the coins in any capacity. This is the only safe way to not let your people down.

Wallets are not designed to be integrated anywhere. Leaving OAUTH2 credentials which can call the 'sendMoney' API call... you're gonna have a bad time. (worse, I've seen bitcoin wallets offering static API keys for use in integrations. I wept.)

Bitwasp Developer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: