Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 04:01:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius hologram issue  (Read 2673 times)
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1972

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 01:58:24 AM

Here's something from ANACS FAQ page:

What is PVC residue?
PVC residue is a surface contaminant that may be caused by storing a coin in a soft, pliable vinyl flip. The amount of time a coin needs to reside in a vinyl flip before the PVC film develops will vary significantly, depending on temperature, humidity, the age of the flip, and the type of coin. Under optimal conditions, PVC residue can begin to form in as little as two weeks. At ANACS, we only use Mylar flips. Mylar flips are free of all PVC.

The composition of a coin is a strong factor with the formation of PVC residue.

A gold or platinum coin will be the most resistant, a silver coin is next, and a copper or copper-nickel coin will be the most susceptible. Copper and copper-nickel coins are also highly susceptible to corrosion and/or spotting from excessive moisture and high emperatures. Due to this, collectors need to be extra careful with their choices of storage materials for these coins.

During the manufacturing process for soft vinyl flips, an agent is added to increase pliability. The main reason for this is to allow the flips to be reused without breaking or tearing. This softening agent will migrate out of the plastic over time, and becomes the surface film that is called “PVC Residue.” As this film continues to degrade, it eventually turns into a mild acid, and begins to attack the surface of the coin. Until the film is removed from the coin, it is usually not possible to tell if the coin has been damaged. Additionally, this chemical reaction can continue even if the coin is sealed in an inert plastic holder. This is why ANACS does not encapsulate coins with active PVC contamination.

Recognizing PVC residue is not always easy. When the residue begins to form, it often appears as light milky spots on the coin. PVC residue also appears as streaks or a light haze, and ranges from nearly white to dark green or gray. If the coin has enough contamination, and your sense of smell is good, you will detect an odor that imitates the smell of a new plastic shower curtain.

Where some of the Casascius coins shipped in a PVC holder? I don't know because I never bought directly.
What if they were stored in there until they got to ANACS and eventually they developed the spots after "enslabment"?

This almost makes sense. I only use their mylar flips from the link they provide, so hopefully my batch that has been sitting around for almost a  year I just sent in does ok.  Wink

Thanks everyone for the great info. Love it! Smiley

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
dazedfool
Legendary

Activity: 1530
Merit: 1133

derp

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 02:02:35 AM

PVC contamination could be a possibility, here's an NGC discussion on the topic: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1445/coin-holders-contain-PVC/
Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 02:05:12 AM

If it's outside contamination like that I would expect it to have pitting marks under magnification.  I'm not in a position to do that.  Anyone else?

Just to be clear, you would expect the surface of the hologram to be more resistant to external factors and the difference between flaws noticeable on the surface and flaws not noticeable on the surface to have very different consequences when considering cause.
coin@coin
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 02:07:46 AM

Do you guys remember having the coins in a PVC container before sending to grade?

That would be a good start for the ones of you that have the issue and sent the coins to grade yourselves.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 03:32:31 AM

It's definitely not a PVC issue.  PVC isn't used in coin holders anymore, furthermore, the Silver coin would turn greenish.  Here the issue is on the holo.  It's most likely the adhesive vapors reacting with hologram materials.  The coin itself is free from issues, right?
dumbchump (OP)

Activity: 496
Merit: 264

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 07:12:54 PM

Since I brought it out of the safe to auction it....I might as well ask....anyone want to buy this thing, spots and all?
Zepher
Copper Member

Activity: 686
Merit: 603

Electricity is really just organized lightning

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 07:18:17 PM

Since I brought it out of the safe to auction it....I might as well ask....anyone want to buy this thing, spots and all?

Why don't you try auction it? Spots and all, people would still bid on it if the price is right.

My only payment address: 1ZephertJThxkHih7XcaUHBkMSnvkTt5u
dumbchump (OP)

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 07:34:59 PM

Why don't you try auction it? Spots and all, people would still bid on it if the price is right.

I was going to auction it with a starting price of 1.0btc.... that seems like a bad idea now...  I'll think about a minimum since it might go for 1.05 Smiley
Hellot

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 07:37:29 PM

I was going to auction it with a starting price of 1.0btc.... that seems like a bad idea now...  I'll think about a minimum since it might go for 1.05 Smiley

I doubt it would go for less than 2BTC
Zepher
Copper Member

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 07:54:06 PM

Start it @ 1BTC You'd be surprised! Yes, this issue affects desirability, but it will still go for a hell of a lot more than 1BTC. I'll open the bidding if you wish.

dazedfool
Legendary

Activity: 1530
Merit: 1133

derp

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 07:57:17 PM

1.25BTC BIN  Grin
Zepher
Copper Member

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 07:58:46 PM

1.25BTC BIN  Grin

Now now dazedfool.. Grin Don't start a bidding war before the auction has even started  Grin

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 08:09:21 PM

Hmmmm.... I dunno... How do we know this issue doesn't extend to the private key?  I'd want to know the cause and effect on the coin.  What if the private key can't survive X number of years IFF the cause will keep spreading?
dumbchump (OP)

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 08:20:04 PM

Hmmmm.... I dunno... How do we know this issue doesn't extend to the private key?  I'd want to know the cause and effect on the coin.  What if the private key can't survive X number of years IFF the cause will keep spreading?

That would be my concern too (as a buyer).  I'm not concerned about the private key today....but 10 years from now....who knows.

Also, I don't think it'll go for 2BTC....so I'll make that the BIN.  I'll think about value I'd want to keep it at...then start it at that price.
Hellot

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 08:22:57 PM

That would be my concern too (as a buyer).  I'm not concerned about the private key today....but 10 years from now....who knows.

Also, I don't think it'll go for 2BTC....so I'll make that the BIN.  I'll think about value I'd want to keep it at...then start it at that price.

So you are selling this for 2BTC?
dumbchump (OP)

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 08:29:11 PM

Sure, selling for 2BTC....with auction TBD.....escrow with reputable forum member and free shipping within US....worldwide shipping paid for by buyer based on actual cost.
Hellot

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 08:34:09 PM

Sure, selling for 2BTC....with auction TBD.....escrow with reputable forum member and free shipping within US....worldwide shipping paid for by buyer based on actual cost.

I'll buy it for 2BTC.  Who do you want to use for escrow?  I'll pay extra for restricted delivery via USPS in this case.
dumbchump (OP)

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 08:37:14 PM

I'll buy it for 2BTC.  Who do you want to use for escrow?  I'll pay extra for restricted delivery via USPS in this case.

Really?  Okay.  I thought you were just messing with me.  I guess I misjudged the market.  PM sent about escrow details, etc.

Hellot

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 08:50:02 PM

Just to put this in the public.  I offered to buy this coin for 2BTC but am fine if he decides to try and get more from an auction.  I guaranteed 2BTC for the coin no matter how that auction plays out. 
dumbchump (OP)

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 08:56:55 PM

Just to put this in the public.  I offered to buy this coin for 2BTC but am fine if he decides to try and get more from an auction.  I guaranteed 2BTC for the coin no matter how that auction plays out. 

Yep, live and learn.  I'm content selling it for 2BTC so it looks like we are both happy.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: