Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:19:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius hologram issue  (Read 2670 times)
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 03:50:37 PM

I always assumed that gold or silver would eventually become discolored from the acid in the adhesive. Strange how it only took 2-3 years for it to start voiding itself. Maybe compressing the holo side will help prevent this?

nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 05:44:02 PM

TBH my first thought upon seeing this is that the adhesive is oxidizing the silver.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 10:44:02 PM

This coin is now in the hands of someone with actual brains and access to a high powered Laica microscope that can capture pretty images.  I have looked at the holo under power and it is interesting!  Here is the tentative plan:

- We will be imagine the holo monthly for the next 3-6 months to ascertain if the marks are growing in size\population or if they are static.
- Once we have observed the marks over time we are going to peel it and image the marks under the holo as best we can.
- We will import the private key to confirm the coin is authentic(it looks real to me).

At some point I expect to be posting high quality images, I can tell you the images I have seen are very good, under power you can see that the marks look exactly like the letters "ONE BITCOIN" on the holo, as if whatever process made the one bitcoin letters may have been responsible for the marks we see.  I can say at this point the marks are under the surface of the hologram.

I'll update as I learn more and when I get images, they are currently in a file format not suitable for posting.
coin@coin
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 03:31:28 AM

This coin is now in the hands of someone with actual brains and access to a high powered Laica microscope that can capture pretty images.  I have looked at the holo under power and it is interesting!  Here is the tentative plan:

- We will be imagine the holo monthly for the next 3-6 months to ascertain if the marks are growing in size\population or if they are static.
- Once we have observed the marks over time we are going to peel it and image the marks under the holo as best we can.
- We will import the private key to confirm the coin is authentic(it looks real to me).

At some point I expect to be posting high quality images, I can tell you the images I have seen are very good, under power you can see that the marks look exactly like the letters "ONE BITCOIN" on the holo, as if whatever process made the one bitcoin letters may have been responsible for the marks we see.  I can say at this point the marks are under the surface of the hologram.

I'll update as I learn more and when I get images, they are currently in a file format not suitable for posting.

Oh WOW that is awesome. Would be very interesting to find out more. Also intriguing that the marks are actually under the hologram...
Keep us posted and thanks for sharing. Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: