Question: For Bitcoin, the new FinCEN guidance is __________  news
Very Good - 40 (20.3%)
Probably Good - 82 (41.6%)
Probably Bad - 51 (25.9%)
Very Bad - 24 (12.2%)
Total Voters: 197

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll, FinCEN Guidance, Good or Bad?  (Read 4479 times)
Cubic Earth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 12:10:22 AM

http://fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

Get out and Vote people!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:13:10 AM

FinCEN seems to be stating the obvious really. Stay in crypto and you're not a "money transmitter". Touch fiat and you are. That's the essence of it, yes? It is already the case that exchanges dealing with fiat are subject to AML, KYC and all that baloney.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Cubic Earth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 12:19:08 AM

After a cursory reading of the ruling, I say I believe it to be excellent news.  The ruling itself is pretty bland and overall pretty sensible, and for what is essentially the first utterance of the word "Bitcoin" from the mouth of the US Government, that translates to "excellent" for this community.  It is the first hint of their strategy and it seems to be something other than an all-out assault on the peoples' currency. 
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:21:28 AM

I'd say "probably good". Short term this will mean that certain exchanges will probably need licenses, especially if similar ruling spreads to the EU and elsewhere. That will require money and paperwork. However, this will further increase the legitimacy of Bitcoin long term. It's good news I believe.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 12:40:55 AM

I'd say "probably good". Short term this will mean that certain exchanges will probably need licenses, especially if similar ruling spreads to the EU and elsewhere. That will require money and paperwork. However, this will further increase the legitimacy of Bitcoin long term. It's good news I believe.

I share this opinion. Short term bad, long term good.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:54:02 AM

The only downside of this ruling, to me, is that it adds overhead to some mining operations.

Balancing that are what I see as a major upside, plus a minor one:
1) FinCEN has acknowledged Bitcoin as a real thing, and done so in a way that implies they aren't going to pee in the end users' soup. One of the big possible uncertainties of Bitcoin's future was that the gummint, once it took notice of Bitcoin, would react punitively. The fact that the ruling places no restrictions on end-users (or, really, anyone who isn't mining for fiat or running an exchange) goes a long way to dispelling that cloud.
2) Miners are now incentivized to spend their mined coins within the Bitcoin economy, because then they don't have to register as money transmitters. This means an increase in demand for BTC-denominated goods, which is excellent long-term for Bitcoin as a whole.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 01:39:27 AM

This goes beyond Bitcoin.

Altcoins and Ripple are now in the books as well.

grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 01:40:40 AM

Probably good, especially for merchants who are uncertain about legality.

Don't use BIPS!
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 01:41:05 AM

After a cursory reading of the ruling, I say I believe it to be excellent news.  The ruling itself is pretty bland and overall pretty sensible, and for what is essentially the first utterance of the word "Bitcoin" from the mouth of the US Government, that translates to "excellent" for this community.  It is the first hint of their strategy and it seems to be something other than an all-out assault on the peoples' currency. 

I don't see the word "Bitcoin" mentioned anywhere in that document
foo

Activity: 409

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:39:06 AM

After a cursory reading of the ruling, I say I believe it to be excellent news.  The ruling itself is pretty bland and overall pretty sensible, and for what is essentially the first utterance of the word "Bitcoin" from the mouth of the US Government, that translates to "excellent" for this community.  It is the first hint of their strategy and it seems to be something other than an all-out assault on the peoples' currency.  

"De-Centralized Virtual Currency" -- what else could that possibly refer to?

I know this because Tyler knows this.
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 02:42:27 AM

After a cursory reading of the ruling, I say I believe it to be excellent news.  The ruling itself is pretty bland and overall pretty sensible, and for what is essentially the first utterance of the word "Bitcoin" from the mouth of the US Government, that translates to "excellent" for this community.  It is the first hint of their strategy and it seems to be something other than an all-out assault on the peoples' currency.  

Take your pick: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=67.0

It refers to any "De-Centralized Virtual Currency", not Bitcoin exclusively.  And as I said makes no mention of the word "Bitcoin" it applies to any virtual currency.

Could mean Litcoin, FRC, Ripple, NVC etc... etc... etc..
foo

Activity: 409

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:59:57 AM

Take your pick: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=67.0

It refers to any "De-Centralized Virtual Currency", not Bitcoin exclusively.  And as I said makes no mention of the word "Bitcoin" it applies to any virtual currency.

Could mean Litcoin, FRC, Ripple, NVC etc... etc... etc..

Bitcoin clones are basically equivalent to Bitcoin. The page doesn't mention the word "dollar" either, but it obviously applies to dollars.

I know this because Tyler knows this.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:01:51 AM

They can't do that.

IANAL - but I'm pretty sure that the law must define things, rather than name them.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 03:09:32 AM

Bitcoin clones are basically equivalent to Bitcoin. The page doesn't mention the word "dollar" either, but it obviously applies to dollars.

Wow your dumb.

If you were to exchange Litcoin for Euros in the US, this would still apply, and what does that got to do with Bitcoins and Dollars?

This document addresses "Virtual Currencies and Fiat Currency" it doesn't address only "Bitcoin" and "Dollars"
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:25:45 AM

So, it doesn't apply to me if I mine coins then buy gold with them, right?  Just if I cash them out for fiat currency.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:41:19 AM

So, it doesn't apply to me if I mine coins then buy gold with them, right?  Just if I cash them out for fiat currency.

By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter. In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

I wouldn't bet on that.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
GGGGG

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:52:33 AM

It's unfortunate that the US Gov't is sticking their nose in Bitcoin and will be forcing US-based bitcoin users to comply with whatever strange hoops they decide to make us jump through... but this is also a big step towards being viewed as something legitimate in the eyes of the mainstream. And of course the government would not just ignore it forever... it was either regulate it somehow or attempt to make it outright illegal.

I think it will be a pain in the ass, but overall will probably be good for bitcoin.
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 03:54:44 AM

FinCEN's regulations define currency (also referred to as "real" currency) as "the coin and paper money of the United States or of any other country that is designated as legal tender and that [ii] circulates and [iii] is customarily used and accepted as a medium of exchange in the country of issuance.

So if there is any country where gold is designated as a legal tender, then gold would also be within the definition of a "currency"
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 04:03:50 AM

c. De-Centralized Virtual Currencies

A final type of convertible virtual currency activity involves a de-centralized convertible virtual currency (1) that has no central repository and no single administrator, and (2) that persons may obtain by their own computing or manufacturing effort.

A person that creates units of this convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods and services is a user of the convertible virtual currency and not subject to regulation as a money transmitter. By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter. In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

This is the important part.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 04:17:43 AM

Anyone else perplexed by the distinction between "real" and "virtual" that's arbitrarily made without definition?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: