Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:45:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-03-18 US Treasure guidance on Virtual Currencies  (Read 1175 times)
rikur (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:29:54 AM

http://fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

Still reading it, but they are taking notice!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:36:41 AM

Is this as important a document as I think?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:44:07 AM

c. De-Centralized Virtual Currencies

A final type of convertible virtual currency activity involves a de-centralized convertible virtual currency (1) that has no central repository and no single administrator, and (2) that persons may obtain by their own computing or manufacturing effort.

A person that creates units of this convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods and services is a user of the convertible virtual currency and not subject to regulation as a money transmitter. By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter. In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

So what does that mean for U.S.-based miners who sell their bitcoins?
RATM69

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:58:09 AM

It sounds like to me that they are saying all U.S. miners that convert to cash or (They are also implying gift cards here) anything of value. These persons would be considered money transmitters and would be required to register with FinCEN.
cjp

Activity: 210
Merit: 124

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 07:49:59 AM

It sounds to me like:

not subject to regulation as a money transmitter:
  • Mine bitcoins and sell them for goods or services
  • Buy bitcoins and sell them for goods or services
subject to regulation as a money transmitter:
  • Mine bitcoins and sell them for "real currency or its equivalent"
  • Buy bitcoins and sell them for "currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency"
  • Accept bitcoins (for goods or services) and sell them for "currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency"

A couple of scenarios are missing or only implicitly covered, but the difference seems to be how you spend your bitcoins, not how you obtain them.

Donate to: 1KNgGhVJx4yKupWicMenyg6SLoS68nA6S8
http://cornwarecjp.github.io/amiko-pay/
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:50:52 AM

Right on cue ... I was picking that as soon as bitcoin got to around $0.5 bill the machinery of monetary oppression would roll into action.

Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:32:29 PM

Bitcoin doesn't have any administrators.  Grin
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:27:42 PM

I can't withstand bureaucratic writing.  Can anyone make a sum-up?

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:34:36 PM

"attack on bitcoin"  Wink

Rygon

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 04:42:02 PM

Bitcoin isn't considered a currency because it's not "legal tender", AKA, "fiat"

Anyone who has exchanged their bitcoins for direct fiat, gift cards or other fungible fiat-demoninated assets are considered a "money transmitter." I have no clue what that means legally, but I would bet that 90% of the folks on this forum fall into that category.
totaleclipseofthebank

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:08:24 PM

Bitcoin isn't considered a currency because it's not "legal tender", AKA, "fiat"

Anyone who has exchanged their bitcoins for direct fiat, gift cards or other fungible fiat-demoninated assets are considered a "money transmitter." I have no clue what that means legally, but I would bet that 90% of the folks on this forum fall into that category.

I don't think so. The way I understand it is that only "creators" are money transmitters. Anyone who acquires coins by buying them or selling services for them is just a user and is not regulated as a money transmitter. In fact, I even think this is written so that only pool ops are money transmitters, since the bitcoins are actually "created" by the pool ops, and individual miners are only "selling" their computing power for a payment in bitcoins. I.e. miners are users, pool ops and exchanges are money transmitters.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Rygon

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:38:42 PM

I don't think so. The way I understand it is that only "creators" are money transmitters. Anyone who acquires coins by buying them or selling services for them is just a user and is not regulated as a money transmitter. In fact, I even think this is written so that only pool ops are money transmitters, since the bitcoins are actually "created" by the pool ops, and individual miners are only "selling" their computing power for a payment in bitcoins. I.e. miners are users, pool ops and exchanges are money transmitters.

In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

Perhaps. I interpreted this section to apply to anyone who obtained coins from someone else and transferred them again for money. But I'm not a lawyer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: