Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:57:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stopping Bitcoin  (Read 1549 times)
Lexington (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2010, 12:16:37 AM

Is there any loss of time or effort when you shut down coin generation?  Or, does it just pick up where you left off the next time that you start it?  Just curious.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
October 24, 2010, 12:28:04 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2010, 01:37:27 AM by theymos

There is no "progress", so there is no loss. For every hash that you calculate (you might calculate millions of these per second), there's a small chance of solving a block. Each hash is like an entry into a lottery. Each hash is independent of the others, so nothing needs to be saved.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Lexington (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2010, 02:59:03 AM

I see, thank you for the explination.

So the calulators that I see are just calculating odds then.  I take it you could solve a block in your first 5 minutes if you were lucky enough.  Or if unlucky then you might not solve one all month.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
October 24, 2010, 03:28:23 AM

So the calulators that I see are just calculating odds then.  I take it you could solve a block in your first 5 minutes if you were lucky enough.  Or if unlucky then you might not solve one all month.

That's right. The calculators look at the current odds per hash (this changes from time to time), and from that calculate the average number of hashes it takes to solve a block. Then you can figure out the average time to solve a block based on your hash rate.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: