Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:13:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Steemit Lie: false expectations and false advertisement  (Read 3022 times)
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 06:08:59 AM

THE LARIMERS MUST PAY!

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TravelsAsia

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 06:34:21 AM

THE LARIMERS MUST PAY!

For a minute I was worried your obvious hard-on for the Larimers wouldn't carry over to Steem. You don't disappoint.
sofu
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1085

Degenerate Crypto Gambler

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 06:51:17 AM

Do they pay the bots?

https://steemit.com/@wang/transfers

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2016, 06:55:30 AM

Had they made th epump look a but more natural then maybe they could have tricked a few more people to spend some money on steem, but the fact that the pum was so obvious says to me that this is just one person or a small group artificially pumping up whats probably just another shit coin getting ready to dump.

BigSirko (OP)

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 06:59:06 AM

Very interesting to see good threads get a lot of upvotes and comments, but are nowhere on the trending list and their producers are actually getting no money.   Meanwhile there's stuff trending with huge payouts, no comments and hardly any votes- such as reposts of Bitshares news.

All the steem power concentrated by the developers has effectively turned that website into a Bitshares echo chamber.    Cheesy
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 07:09:01 AM

this is just one person or a small group artificially pumping up whats probably just another shit coin getting ready to dump.

The wonderful thing about STEEM is that a large percentage of it is held in STEEM POWER (over 90%).

STEEM can immediately be converted into STEEM POWER, but STEEM POWER cannot immediately be converted into STEEM.

Therefore, 90%+ of the STEEM tokens can only be dumped via 104 equal weekly payments over the course of 2 years.

The volume on exchanges represents under 10% of the STEEM money supply.

That is why it took such a little amount of volume to be pumped so high.... most STEEM it is locked up in STEEM POWER.

Owning more STEEM POWER gives people more sway in the curation of content, while at the same time allowing them to earn bigger rewards for doing so.

Owning STEEM POWER is a long term investment in the STEEM ecosystem.

I suggest reading the whitepaper. They have created a very elegant ecosystem. https://steem.io/SteemWhitePaper.pdf

Alternatively, there is a lot of information linked here: https://steemit.com/wikiversity/@boardwalk-steem/lets-start-a-steemit-resource-repository
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 07:37:35 AM

The only ones getting butthurt, are those who dig butthurt:

https://steemit.com/votes/girlsgonesteem-nsfw

Holy ****!  Now I'm really gonna read that white paper.  Are those naked girls really naked girls doing it for real?  Wow.

You've been catfished.

I know!  But those boobs though...  How many more of those does Steem have?  I imagine there would be a lot the next 2 or 3 years.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
vlight

Activity: 656
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 09:30:16 AM

A couple of questions...  How does Steemit pay off these people?  Where does Steemit get their revenue?

From what I can understand, the devs mined all of coins in the beginning and maintain control now through witnesses. The Steemit website (totally separate from the blockchain) is them redistributing these coins to users.

It's an interesting tactic. The number of coins out in the wild - the free float if you like - is miniscule. They can therefore make the coin look like it has this massive cap when in fact it doesn't. A good example of this is the ask side on Bittrex, which at 35,000 Steem is currently less than 0.05% of the supply.

Btw, currently $400M cap supported by a whole 200 BTC on Trex. lolol...

Very smart of the creators of Steem. They beat everyone to the punch and could be on a potential gold mine here.

The funny part is that it was possible to buy cheapest Steem just a week ago. But only very few realized the market dynamics.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 09:37:29 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2016, 09:51:12 AM by smooth

A couple of questions...  How does Steemit pay off these people?  Where does Steemit get their revenue?

From what I can understand, the devs mined all of coins in the beginning and maintain control now through witnesses. The Steemit website (totally separate from the blockchain) is them redistributing these coins to users.

The website is not totally separate from the blockchain. It is a view of the blockchain, essentially a feature-rich web wallet.

OP, the 90%/10% stuff does not work the way you suggest. Authors who have gotten payouts have in many cases converted those coins to BTC, then to fiat, and ended up with real money in their bank accounts. Many of these stories were posted when payouts started July 4th. The idea that the payouts "aren't real" is nonsense. None of the author rewards go to the devs (unless of course, they make posts and get upvotes like anyone else). Stakeholders can get rewards by voting, but the main dev account 'steemit' with millions of early-mined coins, does not vote so it does not get any rewards.

None of this means it is a good investment. Do your own research. If you don't understand it, stay away.
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 09:46:16 AM

THE LARIMERS MUST PAY!

For a minute I was worried your obvious hard-on for the Larimers wouldn't carry over to Steem. You don't disappoint.

The Larimers are scum.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 10:04:15 AM

I think many of these points are valid, but it's too early to say what will happen. As payouts decrease with the flurry of new users, it will be interesting what happens with lowered incentives. Fundamentally, a 100% inflationary system is hard to support.

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 10:05:56 AM

At this point, from what I can tell you only needed to have photos of your tits out to get massive upvotes and collect large payouts. Sustainability  needs to come from somewhere else.

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 10:10:35 AM

I think many of these points are valid, but it's too early to say what will happen. As payouts decrease with the flurry of new users, it will be interesting what happens with lowered incentives. Fundamentally, a 100% inflationary system is hard to support.

It isn't an 100% inflationary system overall. The 100% inflation is applied to the liquid STEEM token to encourage people to shit or get off the pot. I.e. either power it up into Steem Power form or trade it to someone else who will. This ensures that at any given time most of the stake is locked and people owning it have incentives to care about the longer-term health of the system. Once in Steem Power form the effective inflation is much lower. The exact number varies depending on the percentage that is powered up but in practice will likely be single digits positive inflation. In theory it could be zero or negative inflation (unlikely though).
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 10:27:48 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2016, 10:42:25 AM by iamnotback

Friendly guy has a good life. It is a positive synergy being healthy, happy, in a positive environment, and feel you are doing worthwhile activities. I lack almost entirely those attributes at this particular juncture of my life, although I've had some of those at various junctures in my life.

Perhaps you all read my post about Steemit's business model. And there is my damning slamdunk followup.
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 10:31:54 AM

It isn't an 100% inflationary system overall. The 100% inflation is applied to the liquid STEEM token to encourage people to shit or get off the pot.

Yeah, we all know the Larimer gang are experts at inflation.  What was the terminology that they used in Bitshares to describe it?  ....  Oh, I remember.  It was "Dilution without limit!"

From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:25:02 PM

https://steemit.com/steem/@hisnameisolllie/get-ready-for-bigger-payouts-usd12m-per-year-at-current-levels

I believe (but please correct me) that payout are currently set at 10% of market cap per year (with a further 90% of market cap being paid out to Steem Power holders). This means that, if the market cap can average out at $120m for the year, Steemit payout will be $12m.

With 7300 users currently on the platform, if you are an average performer, you could be in line for $1,643 per annum (if user numbers stayed at 7300). Just 6 days ago, this number would have been around (($20m/10)/4700) $425 per user on average.

On the front page, it might say there are people making $1000s of dollars but the mechanics of Steemit means they have to share the 10% withdrawal cap with other producers.  Example if you are a producer on Steemit and made $30,000+ on there, it would literally take you many years to withdraw that money.  This problem is only compounded when more producers hop on Steemit and are trying to withdraw their money too.   Anyone want to wait 50 years to get their money out of Steemit?   Cheesy

This is clearly a scam where they are setting up false expectations and false advertisements by showing producer's amount earned: "look at all these people making $1000s!  Why aren't you doing it too?", without telling viewers there is no practical way to withdraw that money.    The inability for producers to withdraw their Steemit also explains why there are hardly any coins on the exchanges and the current capitalization manipulation / pump.

@BigSirko, @TaunSew,

this is very interesting.

U have pointed out some aspects of STEEMIT that we should be looking into.

We should also note that Dan, the creator of the BitShares, is the intelligence behind the system.

~CfA~

mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 02:00:28 AM

Honestly I initially though this was a full on scam and it could still be it, this is crypto after all. However learning about Steem, Steem Power and Steem Dollars is interesting to say the least.

I haven't seen a concept like this in crypto where the currency itself is actually not something to hold forever (Steem) as it has crazy inflation to peg the Steem Dollar. Steem Power on the other hand is basically the share you have in the "company".

That as a system is disruptive to me, there may have been versions of this in the past but I'm not aware of. The only thing I have strong doubts is how "whales" influence the whole platform and there are a handful of them. But oh well, what about Zuckerberg, this is like complaining he has too much influence on Facebook...

If the platform works, then making cents everyday is much better and fun than being on Reddit or whatever, that's the bottom line. It's the actual idea behind decentralization and crypto, why produce content and give all this information to companies when we can all benefit from it based on our work or merits?

The concept of social crypto currency could be here to stay if this gets even more traction.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 02:09:48 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2016, 05:49:36 AM by smooth

On the front page, it might say there are people making $1000s of dollars but the mechanics of Steemit means they have to share the 10% withdrawal cap with other producers.

This is wrong. Half the reward is completely liquid. For example if you look here you can see someone who just received 7,185.425 Steem Dollars (SD) as a reward (worth a bit more than 7185.43 USD given current market prices). That has no restrictions on cashing out whatsoever.

26 minutes ago   blogging reward of 7,185.425 SD and 2,018.825 STEEM POWER for guerrint/steemit-in-the-streets-tara-gets-interviews-and-reactions-from-people-who-ve-never-seen-steemit

The other half of the reward, the Steem Power, is a form of "karma" that affects your influence on the site and can only be cashed out (if at all) over two years. Many users have no interest in cashing it out.

Either way there is no shared 10% withdrawal cap. That completely doesn't exist and BigSirko made it up.
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 07:27:37 AM

Honestly I initially though this was a full on scam and it could still be it, this is crypto after all. However learning about Steem, Steem Power and Steem Dollars is interesting to say the least.

I haven't seen a concept like this in crypto where the currency itself is actually not something to hold forever (Steem) as it has crazy inflation to peg the Steem Dollar. Steem Power on the other hand is basically the share you have in the "company".

That as a system is disruptive to me, there may have been versions of this in the past but I'm not aware of. The only thing I have strong doubts is how "whales" influence the whole platform and there are a handful of them. But oh well, what about Zuckerberg, this is like complaining he has too much influence on Facebook...

If the platform works, then making cents everyday is much better and fun than being on Reddit or whatever, that's the bottom line. It's the actual idea behind decentralization and crypto, why produce content and give all this information to companies when we can all benefit from it based on our work or merits?

The concept of social crypto currency could be here to stay if this gets even more traction.

Cool story bro... but that's all it is.  It's NOT "decentralized".

From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 11:38:59 AM

Cool story bro... but that's all it is.  It's NOT "decentralized".

Can u explain why the STEEM is NOT a decentralized endeavor, 2Kewl4Skool?

Thank u in advance.

~CfA~

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: