Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:13:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Steem vs Synereo, which one will lead the decentralized social media revolution?  (Read 6985 times)
Dave5

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 08:37:09 PM

The major difference is that Synereo is decentralized and Steem is centalized!

❒ SWISS ALPS ❒        ▬ MINING & ENERGY ▬      ❒ SWISS ALPS ❒
█████          The Smart Mining Company           █████
Telegram █  Get a piece of COLD 6 220 238 SAM █     Twitter

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 09:19:26 PM

What does that word mean to you?
Dave5

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 09:28:22 PM

Control over my data. No censorship.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 09:33:22 PM

No one can censor your data on Steem (the blockchain). The Steemit web site is another matter, but there is already at least one other interface to the blockchain under development (not counting the cli that already exists).
Dave5

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 09:49:11 PM

No one can censor your data on Steem (the blockchain). The Steemit web site is another matter, but there is already at least one other interface to the blockchain under development (not counting the cli that already exists).

Could you remove your data from Steem? If its on the blockchain no way. Synereo on the other hand needs the blockchain for its Currency the AMP. Data is kept on a database on your PC/server. You own your data!

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 10:03:40 PM

Could you remove your data from Steem? If its on the blockchain no way. Synereo on the other hand needs the blockchain for its Currency the AMP. Data is kept on a database on your PC/server. You own your data!

No, data can't be removed from the blockchain. It's a fantasy to think you can reliably remove data once you have shared it on the internet though. Someone else could always copy it.

That said, it is entirely possible to post links to content on Steem, rather than posting the content itself. Linking to embedded media on IPFS is already supported I think, or will be soon.

Dave5

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 01:52:11 AM

To store such amount of data on blockchain is madness. Articles on blockchain? If you thought BTC and ETH blockchaines are big. Wait till you see Steems. For sure you will not have to wait long...

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 02:26:09 AM

To store such amount of data on blockchain is madness. Articles on blockchain? If you thought BTC and ETH blockchaines are big. Wait till you see Steems. For sure you will not have to wait long...

You may be right. That is one of my major concerns about the system, but the developers seem to think they have it under control with the ability to run nodes that don't store all the data, etc. I guess we will see.
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 04:40:18 AM

BRB going to share embarassing nudes of myself on Steem.  

Also, what happens when someone shares illegal things on one of these blockchains?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
testz
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 04:46:43 AM

BRB going to share embarassing nudes of myself on Steem.  

Also, what happens when someone shares illegal things on one of these blockchains?

https://steemit.com will filter it but it's still be accessible at blockchain.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 04:56:45 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2016, 07:12:04 AM by smooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE

More seriously, nobody knows. It's a lot like BTC back in 2010-2011 when there was a lot of discussion about how it might be banned altogether, etc.

SynereoCommunity

Activity: 385
Merit: 250

Your Network. Your Rules.

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2016, 04:25:12 PM

We all agree that your theory is crazy. The question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough.
Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962)

Framing it this way, I'll say that Steem is not "crazy enough", meaning they do not change enough of the status quo to make a meaningful difference. (this does not mean they cannot have marginal success vs. Reddit)

Synereo as a technology is indeed "crazy enough".  The social App that sits on top of it incorporates fundamental changes in the current business models, content control & distribution, identity, reputation, and self-determination.

Someone above astutely asked about "decentralized": what does that mean to you?

When considering the answer to this question, you must know what the logical overlays are in the network topology.  All networks today have more than one layer, and this means (just like politics) that the true existence of of a definition can only be couched in terms like relativity.  There are no absolute terms here.  However, if all your layers are decentralized, then you can at least legitimately use this term.  For example, if there are 5 layers, and 3 are decentralized, is using that term to describe it ok?  Keep in mind that these words (de/central) are a duality, and the middle ground should be excluded; mix together black and white and you get neither.  This is not a perfect analogy here, but it makes the point: most people are using the term as a buzzword, without actually analyzing the validity or degree of accuracy.

All that said, the 2 platforms are so different as to make any comparisons very superficial, IMO.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
       ▄█████   █████
       ████▀   ███████
     ▄█▀     ▄█▀     ▀█▄
▄████▀  ▄████▀         ▀████▄
█████   █████           █████
▀████▄  ▀████▄          ▀███▀
     ▀█▄     ▀█▄
▄███   ▀████▄  ▀████▄
█████   █████   █████
▀████   ▀███▀   ████▀
    ▀█▄▄     ▄▄█▀
      ▀███████▀
        █████
         ▀▀▀
synereo|                         
       ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░   ███
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████
  ░▓▓▓▓▓████████████▓▓▓████
 ░▓▓▓▓███████████████████▓▓░
░▓▓▓▓███████████████████▓▓▓▓░
▓▓▓██████████████████████▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓█████████████████████▓▓▓
▓▓▓██████████████████████▓▓▓
▓▓▓███████████████▓███████▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓██████████████████████▓▓▓
░▓▓▓▓███████▓███████████▓▓▓▓░
 ░▓▓▓▓▓███████████████▓▓▓▓ 
   ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░   
      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░
WildSpark
A new way to pay attention
|
Where your creation efforts are rewarded.
TELEGRAM | WEBSITE | ANN | FACEBOOK | DISCORD | TWITTER
|
EARN NOW
|

▄█████████▄
  ▄████▀   ▀██████▄
 ██████     ████████
████████▄▄  ▀████████
█████▀   ▀██    ▀████
█████     ██     ████
█████▄   ▄██    ▄████
████████▀▀  ▄████████
 ██████     ████████
  ▀████▄   ▄██████▀
     ▀█████████▀
Powered by
AMP
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 07:43:13 PM

How is this even a question?  One is vaporware (Synereo) and the other actually exists as advertised and is working (Steem).

Say what you will about Dan (and company,) but he is a smart guy and can spit out code like no other. Many other "promising" projects seem to be perpetual vaporware or exist but are mostly useless. Steem exists and functions as advertised in the whitepaper. Dan has written many smart contracts that actually work from Bitshares to Steem, with no "hacks" like Ethereum. He has a proven development track record.

Steem is now developing a decentralized market and private messaging to go along with its social media platform. I think this is one coin that could attract the masses.

I will revisit the question if/when Synereo releases something, but until then the answer is clear. Anyone that says otherwise is blinded by special interest (for the record I only own about $3 in SP/SD I earned from participating on Steemit.) As soon as I have some extra cash I will be purchasing some SP.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 05:10:00 PM

So I just became aware of this concept of token-powered decentralized social networks tonight and am doing some research.  I see two main contenders: Synereo and Steem.  When all factors are considered: fairness to content creators, ease of use for lurkers, fairness of mining... which one do you think will win the impending war of decentralized social media?

I think the question is impossible to answer because nothing that is out there now, even in terms of comprehensible plans that are vaporware, has a feature set or model that could become very popular. Well at least as far as I can see thus far (but I am not omniscient).

I did some initial analysis of Steem (read the entire thread).

Synereo reality check (read the linked threads):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1424386.msg14420001#msg14420001
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1344997.msg13713923#msg13713923
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1361721.msg13868758#msg13868758
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 04:25:10 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2016, 04:50:28 AM by CoinHoarder

So I just became aware of this concept of token-powered decentralized social networks tonight and am doing some research.  I see two main contenders: Synereo and Steem.  When all factors are considered: fairness to content creators, ease of use for lurkers, fairness of mining... which one do you think will win the impending war of decentralized social media?

I think the question is impossible to answer because nothing that is out there now, even in terms of comprehensible plans that are vaporware, has a feature set or model that could become very popular. Well at least as far as I can see thus far (but I am not omniscient).

I did some initial analysis of Steem (read the entire thread).

Your (and Erlich Bachman's) conclusion that Steem is a bad investment is based on a generalization that shareholders will be debased.

While it is true that if you simply invest in Steem and do not participate in the ecosystem that you will be debased, your conclusion does not consider that Steem investors can participate in the ecosystem and negate that debasement.

Investors can earn rewards for content creation, content curation, and by providing liquidity in the Steem Dollar market.

Furthermore, since Steem dollars earn interest, if you didn't want to do any work, then you could simply buy up some Steem dollars and earn more interest than any legacy banking savings account or CD.

Even if someone were to invest in simply SP and not participate in the ecosystem, it is possible that the social network grows exponentially and it ends up being a good investment anyways. In fact, IMO, recent trends indicate that is more likely than simply possible: https://steemle.com/charts.php

In conclusion, your blanket assessment that Steem is a poor investment is faulty, because it depends on how you plan to invest (Steem, SD,or SP) and how much work you are willing to put in to earn rewards from participating in the ecosystem.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 04:52:09 AM

Business model: convert investors into social networking workers.

Doesn't seem viable to me.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 05:18:20 AM

Legacy social networks convert users into "social networking workers" without offering any compensation at all.

It is not much of a stretch to think that people can be incentivized to do so.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1442

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 06:02:44 AM

So I just became aware of this concept of token-powered decentralized social networks tonight and am doing some research.  I see two main contenders: Synereo and Steem.  When all factors are considered: fairness to content creators, ease of use for lurkers, fairness of mining... which one do you think will win the impending war of decentralized social media?

It is hard to say. But steem has a product out and synereo it is still in development. But steem has first mover advantage. Let's see if synereo can come after it.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
iamnotback

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 10:36:06 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2016, 11:09:22 AM by iamnotback

Legacy social networks convert users into "social networking workers" without offering any compensation at all.

It is not much of a stretch to think that people can be incentivized to do so.

The links in my first post in this thread, delve into the economics of paying people to do social networking. I am very skeptical about whether it is an economically viable model for social networking.

It is a zero sum game. You have to extract money from some users and hand it to others. Are readers of fluffypony's post really getting $832 of value from reading that  Huh

Once you return the actual equitable value, I think you will find that paying users to do social networking doesn't pay them enough to make it worth their time. In fact, people produce content for free for other reasons such as the marketing traffic and brand promotion.

There is very low informational value in clicks on Likes. Unlocking the real economic value in social networking, comes from the higher order information and interaction from the user's activities. You need to be facilitating some benefits for the users that are valuable to them. The content on Steemit is not different enough from Reddit nor worth $832 per post to myself and the others reading. Besides I can read it for free, leeching off everyone that is paying for the content. Thus we who read for free are parasitic on all those who hold Steemit tokens and are paying for the content via debasement. And if you don't let us read for free, then the project will die due to lack of promotion.

Western users of Facebook aren't going to use because they are paid $1 per day to use it, nor are talented artists/creators going to work for $10 per day. As for developing countries, the payouts to them will necessarily be lower because they represent collectively less wealth. People use social networks because they gain some feedback, experiences, and features they want, not because they are paid an insultingly low level of $. The very high payouts on Steemit right now are an illusion. First you can't cash out, except over a long period of time, creating a pyramid scheme. Second, the payout levels will decrease as more content is produced. Instead of allowing people to click "Like" and pretend they aren't paying for it (where those with higher standing get to spend more of other people's money), just deduct the money from the users' balance! But then of course you couldn't hide the pyramid scheme from the users.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 11:06:35 AM

It is a zero sum game. You have to extract money from some users and hand it to others. Are readers of fluffypony's post really getting $832 of value from reading that  Huh

Probably not. There is an early adopter dynamic where the reward pools is set as a percentage of capitalization, capitalization is being driven by expectations (right or wrong) of a future user base, but rewards are divided among the current user base. One the actual use base is more in line with the expected user base, rewards per post should be much smaller.

The could be self-fulfilling though, as users continue to be attracted by the large rewards and it becomes a form of promotion. Rewards will probably continue to increase dramatically over the next few days, since they are calculated based on a trailing average price.

Also, the customers here aren't really the readers. It is those who want influence. Being a passive reader you may benefit from a positive externality if you happen to like what is being produced and given exposure on the site, but you will have no say over what you get to read.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: