Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:34:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Wallet War  (Read 1290 times)
StarenseN (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1362

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:11:00 PM

I just saw that picture on twitter taken in a mobile congress and I wanted to share it.

Do you think they are fighting for a good solution?

Source: https://twitter.com/AnaVivion/status/314020329443954688/photo/1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:21:43 PM

Different names for the same thing: fiat money. Banks, credit cards, paypal etc... it is all the same, and everyone of course want a slice of the pie

Bitcoin is totally different

Do you think they are fighting for a good solution?
They fight for a bigger slice of the pie, of course  Smiley

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:32:47 PM

Different names for the same thing: fiat money.

I use the Starbucks mobile app occasionally.  It simply spits out a unique ID that their system uses to check my balance, and then subtract my purchase amount from my balance.  Works pretty slick.

I've used Google Wallet but just once.   Took me about 5 minutes to do first-time set up (nobody was behind me at the counter) due to intermittent data connectivity (indoors of a heavy steel structure).  Have considered using it again, but just for the novelty.  If I'm going to do a Visa/MC charge, I'll pull a card out and swipe.

The TabbedOut one is interesting.  They could easily add BitPay integration or something like that so that Bitcoin users would have a growing selection of restaurants when considering places where bitcoins can be spent.  The founder of TabbedOut @OrrRick had met with #TheRealPlato during is cross-country Biticoin road trip in 2011 and they discussed Bitcoin as a potential payment method.

There's at least a half dozen others not on that list (e.g., KuaPay), and that's just ones I'm familiar with.   Lots of $s going into mobile payments, and Bitcoin is the one with the most potential (and proportionally the least development).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Largo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:13:47 PM

Lol, who on earth is going to use those if you need like 10 different wallets for different locations/stores etc.  Roll Eyes
Good thing for bitcoin tho, if there are too many options, people have even less reason to use a wallet provided by some company.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:15:12 PM

And where is Bitcoin on that image? Angry

They can't ignore us forever Tongue

Mosper

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:14:04 PM

Different names for the same thing: fiat money.

I use the Starbucks mobile app occasionally.  It simply spits out a unique ID that their system uses to check my balance, and then subtract my purchase amount from my balance.  Works pretty slick.

I've used Google Wallet but just once.   Took me about 5 minutes to do first-time set up (nobody was behind me at the counter) due to intermittent data connectivity (indoors of a heavy steel structure).  Have considered using it again, but just for the novelty.  If I'm going to do a Visa/MC charge, I'll pull a card out and swipe.

The TabbedOut one is interesting.  They could easily add BitPay integration or something like that so that Bitcoin users would have a growing selection of restaurants when considering places where bitcoins can be spent.  The founder of TabbedOut @OrrRick had met with #TheRealPlato during is cross-country Biticoin road trip in 2011 and they discussed Bitcoin as a potential payment method.

There's at least a half dozen others not on that list (e.g., KuaPay), and that's just ones I'm familiar with.   Lots of $s going into mobile payments, and Bitcoin is the one with the most potential (and proportionally the least development).
I can tap my phone on the vending machine at work and instantly have made a purchase. How can bitcoin offer a similarly quick transaction with the benefits of consumer protection that are afforded by the services I currently use?

Lol, who on earth is going to use those if you need like 10 different wallets for different locations/stores etc.  Roll Eyes
Good thing for bitcoin tho, if there are too many options, people have even less reason to use a wallet provided by some company.
You really don't need to use 10 different wallets.

Me? I'm just the cynical voice floating in the sea of unchecked optimism.
Largo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:21:30 PM

Then merchants will have to support like 10+ wallets.
Or are they compatible between each other ?  Grin

Mosper

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:23:16 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2013, 11:34:08 PM by Mosper

Then merchants will have to support like 10+ wallets.
Or are they compatible between each other ?  Grin
Big players will come out ahead like google/isis and become the definitive wallet. The only reason to use the apps/wallets specific to certain vendors will be because they will likely provide rewards for doing so in an attempt to hang on whatever little market share they can. Merchants aren't going to turn away chances for profit (not to mention as time goes on more and more of their potential customers) just because the person isn't using the wallet they want.

Things are moving towards NFC chips which is really cool. I can tap my phone on the vending machine at work and instantly have made a purchase without having used a debit card or dollar bill at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication

If bitcoin transactions worked more quickly someone could develop an app to take advantage of this and it would be the best way to get people to use them.

edit: I think something this community really misses is that even if the world did jump on the cryptocurrency bandwagon with bitcoin in its current state they (the government running the country and controlling currencies) would just create their own and use that. Even if people continued the "Be your own bank" thing then those people would just create their own and use that. So long as there are built-in hurdles between the end user and their ability to quickly and safely make purchases (or vendors to quickly and safely make sales) then people will want something else.

I think too much focus is put on expanding the presence of BTC and too little on preparing for that kind of exposure in the first place. If it ever does take off it is going to blow its one shot at a first impression due to it being a proof of concept that isn't structured for wide adoption or being a global currency. Things about the core of how BTC works need to change.

A lot of my posts on this forum come across as negative or maybe not really sound like on board but that isn't the case. I'm all for the idea of bitcoin but I think the major players who have the funds and ability to actually make the changes needed are more concerned with driving up the current price and demand rapidly for their own benefit than establishing a solid foundation for bitcoin to build steadily upon. All of the network power being wasted due to an inherent limit on the speed of block discovery is a major problem.

Me? I'm just the cynical voice floating in the sea of unchecked optimism.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: