Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:02:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorizing Private Key  (Read 2330 times)
Avirunes
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 03:08:53 PM

Have u ever attempted to memorize one of ur Bitcoin private keys?

Do u think anyone has ever done this?

Just remembering one's own key to valuable funds.

With Brainwallet seeds I'm sure people have done this.

I love to memorize.

I'm capable of memorizing up to 32 digits by visualization.

~CfA~

Memorizing a private key will for sure need a hell of a brain.  Cheesy Its not impossible but sure very hard to do it. It will take me a whole month or may be longer to memorize the private key even if I try to.
worhiper_-_

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 08:07:09 AM

Unless the key has some simple memorizable characters it would be So difficult for me that it would be better if you gave me Dark souls 3 in the top difficulty.
I suck at memorizing . maybe i could remember around 12 -14 digits but not sure about the whole key .
it would be fun to try tho. also , even if i knew my key without looking, i would still look just to be safe .

it is not just about being able to memorize the private keys (which is impossible by the way) but the important part is to make sure you won't forget it over time. because human memory works in a unique way, you may memorize something now but a month from now you will forget some details about it for sure.
Yeah i guess you are right. Can't wait to see a Guinness World Record of someone memorizing Bitcoin addresses.

btccashacc
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:35:33 AM

I think it's possible to memorize the Private Key, just find the method and strategy to memorize every single character.
But the chalange is keep them safe on your brain wallet for ling time is very hard.
Everyone will be old, along with the aging period ability to remember of peoples will be increase so that memorize the private key it may not be safe.
i just won't take any risk.
d3nz

Activity: 1302
Merit: 264

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 11:21:18 AM

I love to memorize.

~CfA~

I don't think I would have the confidence to trust myself in memorizing my private keys and use that as my only back up. I'm sure most of you don't too. Especially if your wallet has a large amount in it.

That's awesome. I wish that i can memorize that long character since i can only memorize 25 below any characters.

But remembering this would take some time. Since if you have a lot of private key. Smiley

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 12:10:59 PM

I have only memorized the master password for my password managing program where I keep all my important information including passwords and mnemonic strings for my Bitcoin wallets and that's a perfect solution for me. I don't think trying to memorize your wallet private key is a good idea because human long memory is not perfect and unless you are related to elephants in some way sooner or later your memory might get corrupted and you will lose your money.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 12:15:39 PM

I think it is dangerous to store an important key like that only in your memory.

Imagine having an accident with head trauma or having a fatal accident, that way there may be no way for you or your relatives to ever gain access to the coins again.

I think it is possible to do it and remember a private key though. Using a memory palace and some training it should be quite easy. If people can remember the order of cards in a 40 deck shuffled stack, surely it should be possible to remember a relatively short string like this with correct training.
Whosdaddy

Activity: 1148
Merit: 527

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 02:03:59 AM

I've never thought about it, but it sure is interesting.  I'm not good at memorizing that many characters so I will not ever do that.  Also, I would still write it down in case I forgot.
yeah, it is a really interesting idea in my opinion, i will surely try it out when i will have some time with small amount of bitcoins, though i think it will be a hard thing to do

Rather then to store in on computer store it on a piece of paper. It's not very likey a hacker will ever be able to see that piece of paper.
So in time of a hack you are still safe.
Well, that's a way but just having it on a piece of paper would surely not work on me, since I've got quite a lot of papers and documents that's just scattered all around or house and I usually just forget where I place what.
Memorizing, however, wouldn't be that much of a problem for me, only if it's not-so-long term because I tend to forget it if it isn't used after a month more or less.
TGD

Activity: 1288
Merit: 620

Wen Rolex?

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 02:44:58 AM

Memorising your  private key is posible but for long year would come surely you will forgot it,not all people had a good mind to memories for long term even a year would come so I prepared to use back up is much safer.

Don't mind me | Just checking out here for Duelbits Promotion | Bitcoin 1M | Duelbits no 1
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 04:27:39 AM

I've never thought about it, but it sure is interesting.  I'm not good at memorizing that many characters so I will not ever do that.  Also, I would still write it down in case I forgot.
yeah, it is a really interesting idea in my opinion, i will surely try it out when i will have some time with small amount of bitcoins, though i think it will be a hard thing to do

Rather then to store in on computer store it on a piece of paper. It's not very likey a hacker will ever be able to see that piece of paper.
Well, that's a way but just having it on a piece of paper would surely not work on me, since I've got quite a lot of papers and documents that's just scattered all around or house and I usually just forget where I place what.
Memorizing, however, wouldn't be that much of a problem for me, only if it's not-so-long term because I tend to forget it if it isn't used after a month more or less.

just print the private keys and make a paper wallet and laminate it then find a picture frame at your house and take out the back of it and put your paper wallet there and then close the back and put the picture frame back, that way it is safe and you never lose it.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Ned Kelly

Activity: 170
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 05:03:33 AM

I love to memorize.

~CfA~

It's possible. However, I would not risk it. And as NorrisK mentioned you could not rule out a risk of stroke or serious head injury. I think, it will be better to use multisig for security.
starboyshuvo

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 05:50:03 AM

i tried but sorry not possible.. too long for me. better i should just scan
Sharma
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

GATCOIN : The New Currency Of Digital Marketing

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 06:10:16 AM

I love to memorize.

~CfA~

Personally, I would not think that this would be a very good idea. Even if you can remember 32 digits, there is every chance that you may over time forget your private key.

Brainwallets' security is proven to be questionable and therefore should not be used to store your coins.

I have not tried to memorize private keys myself. But if you are involved in an accident, and lose your memory, then you're screwed.

█████▄▄▄▄
   ████████████▄▄▄            ▀██████
   ███ ▀▀▀▀█████████▄          ▀█████
   ███         ▀▀▀█████▄         ▀███
   ███              ▀▀████▄▄███    ▀▀
   ███                ▀███████▀
   ███                    █████
   ███     ███▄         ▄███████
   ▐██▌     ▀███▄     ▄███▀  ███
   ▐███       ▀███▄▄ ███▀     ███
    ███▌        ▀████        ▐██▌
     ███         ████         ███
      ███      ▄█████▄       ▐██
       ███   ▄████▀ ▀███▄     ▐██
        ███▄████▀     ▀███▄   ███
         █████▀         ▀███▄████
          ██▀             ▀█████▌
                            ▀███▌
  ██████                      ▀▀
  ▀▀▀███
     ███
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
             JOIN US             
TELEGRAM TWITTER FACEBOOK
LINKEDIN WHITEPAPER
znickelbackz

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 03:50:53 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2016, 03:21:52 AM by znickelbackz

Any body who thinks you can read a book to become a genius, especially a book titled: "Jerome becomes a genius" will sadly never be a genius.  The good news is they might get to spend the remainder of their life thinking they are a genius and that might make them very happy.  So, they have that going for them.  Ignorance is bliss.  

That book is one of a bunches of good best-seller books on the world which teach people techniques and methods to improve our skills, to master life. No one becomes a genius just from reading a book, but from learning how to become a genius. Like with martial arts, any normal person can master them through hard practicing in the right ways.
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 04:06:32 PM

Honestly its hard to memorize it unless if you really want to memorize it every day practice and memorize it and you will not for got it if you always use that manually without using the backup copy of private key ..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
znickelbackz

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 11:00:27 AM

You just need to find a way to manage your papers, it's a common useful skill which can come in handy lots of time, so it's worth develop it. You know, you are already have got a bunch of paper in your house to deal with right now, you need that skill anyway. It's an office skill, so you can find great help from officers and stationeries.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 11:12:56 AM

I am quite sure I am not able to do this, but there is also no need to stress myself out just for the sake of being able to remember a string of characters. And another important thing is that I don't want to point too much attention to just remembering one of my private keys as I have my coins spreaded in around 10 cold wallets right now.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: