Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:12:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandwidth  (Read 672 times)
navydude (OP)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:47:58 PM

Just wondering what kind of band width is needed for mining. I seem to have issues occasionally with duplicate shares and it seems like my latency has gotten high after adding multiple rigs. It was around 50-75ms but is 175ms plus now. I have VDSL at 20mbs/3mbs just wondering cause im adding more rigs soon.

Edit: Just looked at my rigs and some of them shares are returning 900ms up to 18000ms. With rejects coming in also. This is the first issue I have had that I am aware of. Guess it could be pol side but just wondering. Also getting fail to check work on nano sia.

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:52:55 PM

3Mbps upload is not much though it shouldn't be an issue as long as it's stable.

You might want to increase your mining difficulty so you submit (upload) shares less frequently.

Also make sure nothing is eating your upload. Having a lot of wallet open with tons of nodes also stresses your network.

Not your keys, not your coins!
navydude (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:23:38 PM

No wallets open. I use only exchange wallets. I have my claymore miner set to -ethi 16 which is max I do believe.

antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 03:33:35 PM

Can you see your router stats? It could be cpu limited depending on your setup.
navydude (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 05:47:17 PM

Will check when i get home. Running through a 16 port netgear  switch to a VDSL router/modem provided by the local service provider. It doesnt happen all the time. right now everything looks good.

mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 03:12:50 AM

3Mbps upload is not much though it shouldn't be an issue as long as it's stable.

You might want to increase your mining difficulty so you submit (upload) shares less frequently.

Also make sure nothing is eating your upload. Having a lot of wallet open with tons of nodes also stresses your network.

What do you think is 15MBit/s enough for 20-30 cards + Storj test?

This is my signature...
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 04:43:56 AM

Just wondering what kind of band width is needed for mining.

Not much - I was on a 12Mbp/s download speed sat connection with a 10GB/month cap and never came close to the cap from mining - I think I MIGHT have been going through as much as 1 Gig/month but that was with up to 14 ASIC devices AND 7 or 8 Ethereum-mining computers running at the same time.

I also mined for a while on a 3G Cell connection (was LUCKY when I saw better than 400kb/s DOWNLOAD speeds on that thing) - no issues, and lower reject rate as the lag was a good bit lower most of the time.

I suspect your "lag" issue is something else. I used to see my reject rate go WAY up when I was downloading a large game patch, for example (World of Tanks was particularly bad about that).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 07:51:19 AM

What do you think is 15MBit/s enough for 20-30 cards + Storj test?

I have no idea.

In any case, it's probably best to limit the maximum bandwidth of each rig in the router so none of them gets to hog the network for the other rigs.

Also, if you really want to save bandwidth and speed things up in case your modem/router having issus with lots of concurrent connections you can alwas use
maxconnections=number
in each of conf files for your running wallets to limit how many nodes they will connect to. I personally wouldn't go below 3 though.

Not your keys, not your coins!
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 01:32:28 AM

as long as the pools are stratum you should be ok. very little bandwidth needed.

getwork is more sensitive to lag and uses a lot more bandwidth.

i have evdo 1.5 Mb/s yes megaBITs per second internet (think 3g) and have no problem mining with stratum pools. 4 rigs. 200-300 ms ping on average. hardly ever get stales unless something goes wonky with the cell network, and thats very rare where i am in the sticks.

thats just mining of course. saturate your connection with a node or torrent or large download and things may change but i generally dont have problems even when doing that.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:03:10 PM

I wish I had gotten 1.5 Mb/s out of my old 3G connection - it struggled most of the time to achieve 400 Kb/s.

And yes, I did see more stales and such even when I upgraded to Exede Sat service (12Mb/s, though due to MY hardware limits I only saw 8.5-9) when I would run torrents or patch games.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:29:03 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2016, 10:39:49 PM by vapourminer

that was stales with satellite right? my stales on statum with evdo are less than 0.1%.

what was ping time satellite vs 3g?

just tested my evdo 3g speed with 5 miners on pools: 4 stratum (2 btc, 2 eth) 1 getwork (sia). 96% signal strength.

nothing but the above miners: 1.93 mbits/sec, 73ms ping

above miners plus saturated download from microsoft servers (a win10 iso): 0.87 mbits/s, 271 ping

it seemed to split my dl speed more or less 50/50

EDIT btw tested my bandwidth btyes/day totals  a while ago doing total bytes per day.. getwork vs stratum was waaaay higher total bytes per day, like 100 times higher. ill see if i can find the totals and post here.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 06:56:47 PM

Sat ping usually ran around 600ms, sometimes as high as 700, under light loading.

Heavy torrent usage or big game patches would send it up past 1 second intermittantly.

3g ping varied a lot, at best around 150ms but if the connection was loaded at all it would hit multi-seconds a lot.

No clue what you mean by "96% signal strength", my 3g signal was commonly 3 bars on a 6-bar device, occasionally 2 bars.
 Perhaps you're reading a -dbm figure as if it was percent? In that case, I think I was normally seeing ballpark -100 dbm most of the time, give or take about 5.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: