Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:05:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shorting Bitcoins?  (Read 1725 times)
bubblesort (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Lex Ad Impios

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:43:42 PM

Seeing as how it looks like bitcoin is booming now (probably on track to break $60 USD by the end of the day), this got me thinking...

Is there a way to short sell bitcoins?  I mean, is there a mechanism set up for me to be that their value will decrease?

I'm not saying I'm ready to make a bet one way or the other.  I'm still digging through the technical details of how all this works and getting a handle on how the market moves because I like to know as much as I can before I move money.  I'm just wondering if the exchanges have this kind of thing set up yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:09:09 PM

Is there a way to short sell bitcoins?  I mean, is there a mechanism set up for me to be that their value will decrease?

There are some suggestions here:

You can sell BTC/USD futures contracts on ICBIT.se, with leverage up to 10X (actually significantly higher, depends on each contract)
 - http://www.ICBIT.se

Another form of shorting bitcoins is to buy PUT options on MPOE.    Or the trading methods offered through 1Broker provide a way to go short.

None of those are offered from a financial institution in the U.S.  That might cause some to see the counterparty risk as being unacceptably high.

CoinSetter could be the first U.S.-based organization to offer methods to go short.  Kraken is another.  Neither is open to the public yet.

There are other methods coming as well.

When they arrive, they will be added to the list here:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Financial

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

FarmerGreene

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:35:01 PM

Alternately, slide over to BTCjam.com. 

To go long on BTC, take a loan and tie it to the BTC/USD exchange rate.  Wait for it to rise and pay back the loan.  Keep the difference.

To go short on BTC, take a loan and don't tie it to an exchange rate.  Transfer it to CampBx and sell it.  Buy it back at the lower price, ship it back to BTCjam, and pay back the loan. Keep the difference.

As a BTC investor, I kindly ask you to keep enough to cover if the exchange rate moves in the wrong direction.

Elizabeth
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:11:33 AM

to make a market more efficient, there must be shorts to keep supply when demand goes crazy.  There are lots of reasons that demand is outstripping supply right now, but will those reasons change in the next two months?   I don't think so.

bubblesort (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Lex Ad Impios

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:46:36 AM

Thanks for the advice!  I'll definitely check these options out.

Pheenixm

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:37:12 AM

MtGox could really use this feature
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:40:30 PM

Also, CampBX can execute advanced trades and margin.

Not today.  Their site has had that teaser since it launched more than a year and a half ago, but they currently do not have the margin trading, stop loss feature, etc.  Because they do accept deposits of USD funds through Dwolla there is one technique that some use to gain leverage for trading bitcoins.  Dwolla Instant is a method in which Dwolla provides a loan of up to $500:
 - http://help.dwolla.com/customer/portal/articles/433827-instant-faq

While hopefully this access to credit isn't being used to speculate by those who would not be able to afford the losses should the exchange rate move unfavorably for that speculator, it does become a tool allowing a trader to short in an alternate way. 

There is demand for "dollar loans" in which bitcoins are the transactional currency but the loan agreement specifies payment of interest and the return of principal to be calculated in terms of dollars.  So by taking a USD loan through Dwolla Instant, buying bitcoins with those borrowed funds and then lending them out to a borrower at a higher interest rate then that person is in effect shorting bitcoins using leverage.  If the speculator is correct and the exchange rate drops by the time repayment of the loan occurs, there will be a net positive balance of bitcoins after settling (repayment) of the Dwolla USD loan.    Of course, there is risk of default by the borrower so this method of shorting should only be considered by those with experience in lending.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

techne

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:27:53 AM

MtGox could really use this feature

caVirtex is planning on adding this feature.   
Dreadful

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:45:14 AM

Well we broke $70, $60 already seems like it was a long time ago!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: