Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:43:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would this be a good idea / is there interest in it?
Yes - 4 (50%)
No - 4 (50%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would there be a interest in a Solar Powered Node / Wallet computer ?  (Read 1332 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
LeChuckDE (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 07:02:23 PM

Hi all,
a discussion brings me to the idea to build a Solar - Powered Multi-Node Computer.
Based on a
7,5 Watt Solar Module
6500 mAh LiPo
SingleBoard Computer based on ARM Processor with 2 GB Ram an Quad 1,2 GHz CPU

This could support all coins that are using a commandline wallet with RPC/IPC Api.
Estimated Hardwarecost are ~ 150 - 200 USD depends on the SD-Card Size and the attached USB Storage (USB Stick or USB SSD)

The Singleboard Computer would take 2,5 Watt so that there are 3 Watt for USB Storage, 2 Watt are used to load the LiPo so that the Node is up 24/7 (Night-Time)
It was possible to make the Solarpanel follow the Sun to that maximum Power could generated (this would based on 2 Servo-Motors that are controlled due the SingleComputer himself)

Would there be a interest in it ?

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1147

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2016, 06:23:43 AM

Hi all,
a discussion brings me to the idea to build a Solar - Powered Multi-Node Computer.
Based on a
7,5 Watt Solar Module
6500 mAh LiPo

This could support all coins that are using a commandline wallet with RPC/IPC Api.
Estimated Hardwarecost are ~ 150 - 200 USD depends on the SD-Card Size and the attached USB Storage (USB Stick or USB SSD)

The Singleboard Computer would take 2,5 Watt so that there are 3 Watt for USB Storage, 2 Watt are used to load the LiPo so that the Node is up 24/7 (Night-Time)
It was possible to make the Solarpanel follow the Sun to that maximum Power could generated (this would based on 2 Servo-Motors that are controlled due the SingleComputer himself)

I would be interested  Grin. Interesting idea, plenty of testing needed. I have a few solar projects myself (nothing BTC / crypto based).

Do you have any writeup on the project.

How do you plan on networking them ? Also you could run the node with prune=N aswell save storing the blockchain.

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
LeChuckDE (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 07:03:06 AM

Hi all,
Based on a
7,5 Watt Solar Module
6500 mAh LiPo

I would be interested  Grin. Interesting idea, plenty of testing needed. I have a few solar projects myself (nothing BTC / crypto based).

How do you plan on networking them ? Also you could run the node with prune=N aswell save storing the blockchain.

pruning would be possible but also did not support the blockchain...
At time no i haven't a write up in project.
My 10 Watt Solarpanel is on the way (small one) and also the single Board computer.
All other needed things are in my hobbyroom, the Frame for Solarpanel will be build with Aluminium Profiles and special Parts are 3D Printed.

I have done some project with Solarmodules, specialy the part follow the sun, this is realiezed with 2 Photoresistors and working well.
The single board computer has enough gpios and also analog input (needed for the photoresistors)

Estimate costs :

Solarmodul 10 Watt : 22 USD incl. shipping (cheaper then the 7,5W Module at time)
Single Board Computer: 38 USD incl. shipping
DC-DC converter 5V 12 Watt(high effency): 24 USD incl. shipping
Aluminium Frame: ~10 USD
SanDisk Extreme Flash-32 GB microSDXC UHS-I - UHS Class 3 / Class10: 30 USD
LiPo 3,7V/ 6000mAh: 28 USD (~14hrs possible without sun/nighttime)
Servos, div. Parts and Photoresistors: 10 USD
162 USD

Optional:
USB Stick
USB SSD
batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2016, 08:31:24 AM

Hi all,
Based on a
7,5 Watt Solar Module
6500 mAh LiPo

I would be interested  Grin. Interesting idea, plenty of testing needed. I have a few solar projects myself (nothing BTC / crypto based).

My 10 Watt Solarpanel is on the way (small one) and also the single Board computer.
All other needed things are in my hobbyroom, the Frame for Solarpanel will be build with Aluminium Profiles and special Parts are 3D Printed.

I have done some project with Solarmodules, specialy the part follow the sun, this is realiezed with 2 Photoresistors and working well.
The single board computer has enough gpios and also analog input (needed for the photoresistors)

Estimate costs :

Solarmodul 10 Watt : 22 USD incl. shipping (cheaper then the 7,5W Module at time)
162 USD

Optional:
USB Stick
USB SSD

What do you mean by not supporting the blockchain (Histroical transactions?)

Keep me posted, I'll PM you my contact details, if you want any help with funding let me know !

LeChuckDE (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 08:47:33 AM

Hi all,
Based on a
7,5 Watt Solar Module
6500 mAh LiPo

Estimate costs :

162 USD

Optional:
USB Stick
USB SSD

What do you mean by not supporting the blockchain (Histroical transactions?)

Keep me posted, I'll PM you my contact details, if you want any help with funding let me know !

Thanks, but i try first to fund it by my self, has a touch of begging for me if I would ask for funding.
First will get prototyp up and running then i will post a donation address.

yes correct think that historycal transaction data is also needed in whole blockchain and should be holded on so many nodes as possible
Could be a feature for cheap builds with low storage.
Will build the Software-Base Image when SBC arrives.
Try to build secure Webinterface generic for most wallets and try to get an automatic installation routine,
where you could specify github-source to fetch and build wallet localy at SBC. Will take a look if it is possible (if the build doesn't take to long)
Also possible to create a github repo for it with prebuild wallets so that only fetch them and configure them into Webinterface.

Software for follow the Sun is finished
(Have build it for a mobile Solarsystem that a friend of me has build for his ownbuild camping Van, works pretty well and get him ~30 %Power then a fixed one)
Will document it in the next days.
With full build instructions for a small Solarmodule 15-25 x 30-50 cm Rotade/Tilt System
batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2016, 11:06:01 AM

Thanks, but i try first to fund it by my self, has a touch of begging for me if I would ask for funding.
First will get prototyp up and running then i will post a donation address.

yes correct think that historycal transaction data is also needed in whole blockchain and should be holded on so many nodes as possible
Could be a feature for cheap builds with low storage.
Will build the Software-Base Image when SBC arrives.
Try to build secure Webinterface generic for most wallets and try to get an automatic installation routine,
where you could specify github-source to fetch and build wallet localy at SBC. Will take a look if it is possible (if the build doesn't take to long)
Also possible to create a github repo for it with prebuild wallets so that only fetch them and configure them into Webinterface.

Software for follow the Sun is finished
(Have build it for a mobile Solarsystem that a friend of me has build for his ownbuild camping Van, works pretty well and get him ~30 %Power then a fixed one)
Will document it in the next days.
With full build instructions for a small Solarmodule 15-25 x 30-50 cm Rotade/Tilt System

Understood.

Looking forward to the prototype  Grin

LeChuckDE (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:57:04 PM

Little bit delay.... SBC are send from US, estimated shipping 2 Weeks :-(
rico666
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1037

฿ → ∞

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 11:16:50 AM

I prefer having a private power plant for the whole house and burning excess energy away with mining.

Of course if that is not an option, this project is nice.

Rico

all non self-referential signatures except mine are lame ... oh wait ...   ·  LBC Thread (News)  ·  Past BURST Activities
notnormals

Activity: 362
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 11:26:40 AM

Yes I think so, I for one would like one. I mine a little with a small solar powered netbook and some solar powered usb litecoin mining sticks. Almost free Mining, found netbook (at work, whoops) picked up some usb mining sticks cheap on eBay. Its just a bit of fun and learning, not going to make me rich.
batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 11:27:32 AM

Hey Bud,

How are things going with this project ?

LeChuckDE (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 07:00:50 PM

Hey Bud,

How are things going with this project ?
Prototyp hardware nearl finished. waiting for bigger LiPo, 3600 mAh aren't enough to drive it in my region over night.
Software in alfa status, quick und dirty frontend for well developed backend. implemented BitCoin(SHA), Ethereum Classic(DH), Expanse(DH), CoExistCoin(X11), all Multiwallet QT compatible coins are possible.

at time in Dev:

1. Wallet-Autoinstaller (based on github hosted configs for download, autobuild, add to "db" and Frontend)
2. crypt-Keyring for Nodepasswords as optional option for storing passwords, seeds and keys
3. Backup-funktion to cloud (owncloud, dropbox) and Network (ftp/nfs/samba)

When finished, finetuning, hardening system, stresstest, Front and Backend-Design. At time Backend completlly on commandline, will be ported into Web-Backend.

First test are given the information that TILT isn't needed with such small Solarpannels, only follow the sun. make the planed final case easier. Will be published as 3D Printable Modell. At time, quick and dirty Alu-Profiles, Wood and tons of hotglue. mounted on standard bananapi-pro-case, modified to fit for pine64.

batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2016, 09:34:44 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

All seems to be covered. How's does the follow the sun code work?

You clearly have some great experience in building, keep up the great work.

rico666
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1037

฿ → ∞

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2016, 11:04:36 AM

Behold! My mighty solar power plant

Hardware:

PV - 520Wp, 2.3KWh LiFePO4 storage, 230W Microinverter
Victron Blue Solar MPPT/Charger

Production around 4.6KWh/day about 230W for 20h daily. Provided there is enough sunshine.  Wink

In fact, I now HAVE TO run something else I would feed back power to the grid.

Rico

all non self-referential signatures except mine are lame ... oh wait ...   ·  LBC Thread (News)  ·  Past BURST Activities
LeChuckDE (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 11:04:49 AM

quite simple, got 2 LDRs one covered so that only get full sun when Solarepannel is in correct position, second one to messure full sun. If both are nearly same Resistance, the perfect position is found.
Depends on which side of earth you are only possible direction will be followed. if there is now sun(night etc) Solarpannel will drive in start position (only 110 ° rotary are needed) and will start searching when proof LDR get's sun again.

This is done by one micro-servo driven dirictly from gpio's of single-board-computer. writen a pyhtonscript for that. ported from Arduino-Project.
LeChuckDE (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 11:07:21 AM

Behold! My mighty solar power plant

Hardware:

PV - 520Wp, 2.3KWh LiFePO4 storage, 230W Microinverter
Victron Blue Solar MPPT/Charger

Production around 4.6KWh/day about 230W for 20h daily. Provided there is enough sunshine.  Wink

In fact, I now HAVE TO run something else I would feed back power to the grid.

Rico

nice one ! but in this project we are a little bit smaller ;-)
only 10 Watt Solarpanel directly mounted on Case with follow the sun mechanics.
batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2016, 11:37:26 AM

quite simple, got 2 LDRs one covered so that only get full sun when Solarepannel is in correct position, second one to messure full sun. If both are nearly same Resistance, the perfect position is found.
Depends on which side of earth you are only possible direction will be followed. if there is now sun(night etc) Solarpannel will drive in start position (only 110 ° rotary are needed) and will start searching when proof LDR get's sun again.

This is done by one micro-servo driven dirictly from gpio's of single-board-computer. writen a pyhtonscript for that. ported from Arduino-Project.

Wow, very clever! I'm very excited by this project!

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 11:12:09 PM

I have a lot of interest in solar energy. I may get my own system next year, but I don't think I'd be willing to divide my electrical consumption between the computer and all the other electrical appliances. I suppose I'll just set up the best system I can afford with the goal to power all lighting and the fridge. Computer and electronics stuff will come next.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: