Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:18:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox security: Yubikey vs Google Authenticator  (Read 2028 times)
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 04:17:29 PM

I've been awarded with a free Yubikey at MtGox. I had already set up a Google Authenticator, and now I have a doubt:

Which solution you like better? Yubikey or GA?

I see two different pros and cons:

• Yubikey looks more secure, as I'm sure that smartphone malware targeting Google Authenticator (among other things) is on his way
  • On the other side, Google Authenticator seems easier to backup. For MtGox specifically, you just have to print the QR code at set-up, and your set. What about Yubikey? What happens if you loose it/break the key? I will have it in my keyring... And that's a place where is getting a lot of "action" (bouncing around with coins, keys, etc.)

Opinions?

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:32:32 AM

I've been awarded with a free Yubikey at MtGox. I had already set up a Google Authenticator, and now I have a doubt:

• Yubikey looks more secure, as I'm sure that smartphone malware targeting Google Authenticator (among other things) is on his way
  • On the other side, Google Authenticator seems easier to backup. For MtGox specifically, you just have to print the QR code at set-up, and your set. What about Yubikey? What happens if you loose it/break the key? I will have it in my keyring... And that's a place where is getting a lot of "action" (bouncing around with coins, keys, etc.)

Opinions?

You should have both setup. Both methods are two factor-authentication. even if both of those methods are compromised, you still have your regular user/pass as a security feature. Also, why would you keep your key on a keychain with other keys, coins, etc? your yubikey belongs to a safe place in your house and you should use it as a secondary method (if you have google authenticator enabled)
At least that's my setup.
I hope it helps.

Thanks for the info. Si if I set up both (GA and Yubikey), I will just need ONE of them to withdraw (for example) - is it correct?

That would be cool, because it would be like a sort of "backup" of the 2FA

deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:44:58 PM

Opinions?

You should have both setup. Both methods are two factor-authentication. even if both of those methods are compromised, you still have your regular user/pass as a security feature. Also, why would you keep your key on a keychain with other keys, coins, etc? your yubikey belongs to a safe place in your house and you should use it as a secondary method (if you have google authenticator enabled)
At least that's my setup.
I hope it helps.

Thanks for the info. Si if I set up both (GA and Yubikey), I will just need ONE of them to withdraw (for example) - is it correct?

That would be cool, because it would be like a sort of "backup" of the 2FA
Entirely up to you. You can setup the google auth for all three option (security, login, withdrawal) and yes, you'll need only one.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀