Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:15:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of STEEM?  (Read 4372 times)
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:27:07 AM

Steem is the first crypto where i can go online and see something happening. I can see the "blog" or whetever it is with activity related to the coin
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2016, 10:15:27 AM

Steem is the first crypto where i can go online and see something happening. I can see the "blog" or whetever it is with activity related to the coin

Yup and this makes it accessible to a lot more people compared to regular coins which are mostly for nerds and techies. With Steemit you can get your girlfriend or even your grandma to sign up and they would feel right at home. I think this a great opportunity for crypto to open its doors to a wider audience. And more people getting into crypto means increased visibility for Bitcoin as well  Smiley
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 04:51:59 PM

You guys are delusional. Go check the facts.

I read the white paper yesterday and the STEEM devs have really done an excellent job with their subjective proof of work design.

Have you lost your mind  Huh

Get a grip on reality.

Next phase is constructing a STEEM Craigslist.  But obviously they have more work to do on their security  so I would not expect STEEM BAZAAR to debut anytime soon.  Currently the most useful thing you can buy with STEEM DOLLARS is BTC at Bittrex.

That is good enough for people who view it as an investment. You don't really need any innovative uses on the demand side for an alt to become a hit.

You neophytes need to get a grip on reality.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 12:14:59 AM

I'm personally just amazed at Larimer's ability to create intricate Rube Goldberg machines.  You have to sit there and stare at the wall for hours and hours to go through all the endless variables in your brain that can affect his systems...

...Then you have to get into all the economics of the system and how that's going to work out, or if it's "fair" with original entrants turning it into a pyramid scheme.  You end up trying to analyze something that's (borrowing the Anonymint phrase for criticising of Ethereum) unbounded complexity.  You just cannot look at a Larimer system without your brain exploding.

*Will read over the Steem stuff in a sec.  Anything Larimer related always has some type of crazy controversy to it.

Ok, for Steem, economics is basically the study of pump and dumps and rent seeking behavior, culminating in the end game of - if you aren't a slum lord, you aren't doing it right, and Dan likes to read economic-type books that spell out lessons such as this.  It's not surprising he tries to integrate tricks to fool the users since that's all economics is is fooling people into becoming your servants in rent seeking behavior.  It seems Larimer might be an evil genius.

Here is some math on the Steem Rube Goldberg machine:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1558366.msg15686485#msg15686485
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 07:34:21 AM

I'm personally just amazed at Larimer's ability to create intricate Rube Goldberg machines.  You have to sit there and stare at the wall for hours and hours to go through all the endless variables in your brain that can affect his systems...

...Then you have to get into all the economics of the system and how that's going to work out, or if it's "fair" with original entrants turning it into a pyramid scheme.  You end up trying to analyze something that's (borrowing the Anonymint phrase for criticising of Ethereum) unbounded complexity.  You just cannot look at a Larimer system without your brain exploding.

*Will read over the Steem stuff in a sec.  Anything Larimer related always has some type of crazy controversy to it.

Ok, for Steem, economics is basically the study of pump and dumps and rent seeking behavior, culminating in the end game of - if you aren't a slum lord, you aren't doing it right, and Dan likes to read economic-type books that spell out lessons such as this.  It's not surprising he tries to integrate tricks to fool the users since that's all economics is is fooling people into becoming your servants in rent seeking behavior.  It seems Larimer might be an evil genius.

Here is some math on the Steem Rube Goldberg machine:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1558366.msg15686485#msg15686485

Making your scam overly complex is the oldest trick in the book.  It is done for the sole purpose of obfuscating your objective of robbing your victims blind.  Neither of the Larimers are any type of genius, good or evil.  If they were truly smart, they would attempt to earn a living through legitimate means instead of having to resort to these pathetic scams which anyone with a IQ over 80 can see through.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 11:52:12 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2016, 08:49:06 PM by From Above

What I think of the STEEM? It sells Sex. Dan sells Sex.

They r successful cuz they do it.

~CfA~

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 12:20:24 PM

This is completely correct.  The Larimers are now no better than pimps.  They are absolute trash.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 02:47:46 PM

This is completely correct.  The Larimers are now no better than pimps.  They are absolute trash.

just pimpin TiTs for now ... @imnotback ... I think your math is spot on ... and the buyout play is not a bad pitch ... $50M cash up front would buy a large slice of the Steem pie.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
iamnotback

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 07:02:27 PM

I am trying to think of a name for:

Quote from: myself
A very finely grained like-mindness, crowd rating system. With rewards to those who produce highly ranked content within like-minded coteries.

Is eSteem the best name for that?
JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 07:45:22 PM

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2016, 07:58:14 PM

A very finely grained like-mindness, crowd rating system. With rewards to those who produce highly ranked content within like-minded coteries.

Zuckerberg called it facesmash--but missed that it wasn't that users were rating girls "they knew", but that their ratings determined the outcome and gave them control of the outcome. He Also didn't monetize it, but tried to backend advertising schemes on it years later to the disappointment of his base (who were quite happy with free popularity grabs).

iamnotback

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 08:12:21 PM

Zuckerberg called it facesmash--but missed that it wasn't that users were rating girls "they knew", but that their ratings determined the outcome and gave them control of the outcome. He Also didn't monetize it, but tried to backend advertising schemes on it years later to the disappointment of his base (who were quite happy with free popularity grabs).

I named it coopital:

https://www.namecheap.com/domains/whois/results.aspx?domain=coopital.org

But I think there might be a catchier name.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2016, 08:35:59 PM

I named it coopital:

Like steemit? The lead's there, anything you start will hinge on its failure, rather than it being supplanted by a better, but still similar, implementation. You also have to consider that a hundred other developers are chomping at the bit if this things looks the slightest bit wobbly.

But putting all that aside, what is coopital? I was thinking captcha.com would be catchy, but it's owned--though captcha.club is 59.99 and not so terrible.

qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 08:54:47 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2016, 09:12:10 PM by qwizzie

I was looking into steem today and came across below post, which i copy pasted as the link does not seem to be working outside of steem.
There seems to be a lot of plagiarism going on and use of bots & anti-bots (also bots used by whales to upvote a select group of users regardless of their content)  

https://steemit.com/steemit/@anyx/an-open-letter-to-the-steemit-community-on-content-plagiarism-and-the-cheetah-bot

An open letter to the Steemit community on Content, Plagiarism, and the Cheetah bot.
19 hours ago by anyx in steemit

Photo credit.
Note that I wrote this while quite frustrated.

The Bot.

As you might know, I am the creator of @cheetah bot. I created this bot because I, personally, was sick of seeing articles completely plagiarized and posted to our website. I have no divine authority, no permission, and no permit to have this bot issue replies; but in its form, it is no different than any other bot that people have made like @wang -- it sees a post, and it occasionally issues a reply.

There is nothing stopping me from doing this on this platform, as there is nothing truly stopping other bots, and that may be a bad thing.

The Articles.

Cheetah has commented on hundreds of articles. In the time it took me to write this blog, he has made about 20 comments.

Most of the posts cheetah comments on are completely ripped from their source, and in most cases the source is not even given, or if it is, it is usually edited in after cheetah responds. These posters do this with dollar signs in their eyes, as previously, this copied content has hit the front page and earned thousands, being upvoted by whales. (Possibly accidentally, as it is still quite hard to detect plagiarism).

In some cases, these articles are even previous steemit posts from other users (examples [one], [two]).

Granted, there are some mistags, double comments, and other issues. I have been actively monitoring my bot all week long and am aware of it. If there was version control for cheetah bot updates, I might need to use a long instead of an int. It is still not perfect.

The Issues.

As you may already know, @cheetah bot is not free. I pay for it. I am not only talking about only the server running it, nor the week of labour I have already put into it, I am talking about search APIs. Fortunately, I have claimed a bounty, and received some generous support from a user. (not sure if they want to be mentioned, but you know who you are!) So that is not an issue yet.

However, there are still issues with cheetah in it's current form.

1.Authors with previous blogs who join the site (some of which react aggressively).
•Until they are whitelisted, at least.

2.Comments on cheetah posts have continuously been hostile.
•Note I have recently reduced the message, again. I encourage further feedback on the message.

3.Personal abuse and attacks at me, not just indirectly through the bot. I will avoid examples as I do not want to brigade.

4.Anti-cheetah bot, bots.
•You may notice there is currently a bot running rampant with massive text walls, this user is trying to destroy our site. This user is also auto down-voting cheetah responses. Cheetah does not have enough power to upvote himself with enough weight to avoid this in many cases.

5.Cheetah bot often gets down-voted and hidden by the plagiarist.

If we don't do something about this NOW, the future of Steemit will be compromised.
The website will continue to be overrun with copy-pasta, unoriginal or plagiarized content, and even straight up identity theft (See these three examples, which @cheetah is helping to catch: [one], [two] [three])

As it stands, I am close to hitting Control-C on cheetah bot, returning the bounty & donation, and sticking to posting my photo blogs. I am sick of the above issues, I am sick with the content flooding steemit, and have very little incentive to continue content curation if steemit continues to degrade this way. Four-post reward change in the upcoming hardfork will not help much, I fear. I am not the only one tempted to give up on curation, @neoxian is also fed-up, I encourage you to read why here.

I fear the community no longer cares. the  #doyourpart tag is still empty, spam floods in. And people are fine with it, and unhappy with @cheetah.

I think the developers need to take serious action, and this needs attention. Cheetah bot is not a solution, it is a band-aid. We need to figure out a better way to stop this from happening in the first place. Please write your thoughts below. Link me your or others' articles on this topic as well. I want to see what the community has to say on this issue.

Further reading (other people's fantastic articles, not my own):

On permission:
https://steemit.com/photos/@thecryptofiend/posting-photos-and-art-without-permission-is-not-ok
On verifying yourself:
https://steemit.com/newcomers/@acidyo/what-verifying-your-account-in-introduceyourself-means-and-what-it-doesn-t-necessarily-have-to-mean

#doyourpart

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2016, 09:16:39 PM

https://steemit.com/steemit/@generalizethis/the-content-network

qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 09:22:19 PM

i wouldnt be surprised if posts like that in the nearby future introduce a downvote function in steem  Roll Eyes

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2016, 09:35:45 PM

i wouldnt be surprised if posts like that in the nearby future introduce a downvote function in steem  Roll Eyes

There already is, but you have to pay the piper. Wink

iamnotback

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 09:49:59 PM

I know you are excited to find a blockchain app that you can use for writing and expression("get rich instantly" deluded groupthink). But there is no way the world is going to adopt a blockchain 80% owned by the Larimers Incorporated.

Also I think I have explained that the incentive for long-term investors is not very good, because they must lockup their investment for 2 years and there is as yet no clarity on how this exponential debasement model will ever be funded.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2016, 10:02:21 PM

I know you are excited to find a blockchain app that you can use for writing and expression("get rich instantly" deluded groupthink). But there is no way the world is going to adopt a blockchain 80% owned by the Larimers Incorporated.

Also I think I have explained that the incentive for long-term investors is not very good, because they must lockup their investment for 2 years and there is as yet no clarity on how this exponential debasement model will ever be funded.

I think you are failing to realize that secure, and fast, distribution of tokens between content creators (whether they're on steemit or not) is what breaks this open--you posted https://steemit.com/steemit/@anonymint/it-s-so-easy-to-become-a-millionaire-with-steem , so don't pin the get-rich-quick-mind-fuck on me. As I've wrote numerous times, I'm playing with house money and am happy to do so without ever investing a dime.

iamnotback

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 10:02:34 PM

I named it coopital:

Like steemit? The lead's there, anything you start will hinge on its failure, rather than it being supplanted by a better, but still similar, implementation. You also have to consider that a hundred other developers are chomping at the bit if this things looks the slightest bit wobbly.

But putting all that aside, what is coopital? I was thinking captcha.com would be catchy, but it's owned--though captcha.club is 59.99 and not so terrible.

Coopital is name for a cooperative DAO concept.

Btw, I just registered:

flockwi.se

But I don't think it is best name I could come up with for a STEEM competitor. I decided to register it as it could also be a better name than coopital for a DAO like concept. The wisdom of the crowd is the concept behind Steem.

But there is a catchier (shorter than Steemit) name, I just can't mention it yet, because we are negotiating the price.

Steem's design is failing now I think. You just can't see it because you can't see the attrition rate and you also can't see if long-term investors are buying STEEM POWER.

Even if the attrition rate is reasonable and long-term investors are buying STEEM POWER (and I don't mean users converting their payout STEEM to STEEM POWER, I mean BTC traded for STEEM powered up to STEEM POWER), there are a lot of people who did not get into Steem early enough and there was 80% mined to a few people. So many people are probably eager for something more fairly launched and especially if it has design that is doesn't debase medium-term investors by 100% per year.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: