Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:15:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So my dad wants to buy 100 bitcoins. What method do you recommend? (USA)  (Read 2826 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:14:07 PM

it would take a couple of weeks to do it with coinbase. First link  a bank account, get 2 small deposits, confirm (2 days) .. then buy 10 per day (if you are lucky. they keep hitting their limit i don't even know if it's possible to buy through coinbase anymore unless you are lucky)

Or mtgox.. but they are currently transitioning. in 3 days they will be "live" on coinlabs US part.

so what is the best way?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1aluwb/so_my_dad_wants_to_buy_100_bitcoins_what_way_do/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:15:42 PM

Local Grin

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 06:20:18 PM

I showed my mom (not technically savvy) coinbase.com

It allows you to just put in your bank routing and account number, you can either verify by giving your online bank login information or my mom did not trust that so she waited a few days for a couple of small deposits to be made and verified that way.

From there you can just do a transfer and you are all set.

(I bought 1 bitcoin through them first just so that I knew what the process was to guide her through it)

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:28:30 PM

This is happening to me now too... My aunt the other day, and my friend today both asked me how they can buy some bitcoin... I told them to look into Coinbase, but I've still not personally used them (yet).

The first was my father who had me buy him some bitcoin back at $7/btc. He wrote me a check and I shipped more $ from my bank to Dwolla to Gox. But that was forever ago (ie, way back in early 2012 when the price didn't rise 10%/day).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
notig (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:29:55 PM

i'm aware of coinbase. I've used them to buy some.  I don't get my 100 bitcoin daily allowance for another week though.

the main problem I have with coinbase is I can never actually buy coins. Maybe the key is to wake up at 4 am or something. They are always out of coins
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:37:44 PM

i'm aware of coinbase. I've used them to buy some.  I don't get my 100 bitcoin daily allowance for another week though.

the main problem I have with coinbase is I can never actually buy coins. Maybe the key is to wake up at 4 am or something. They are always out of coins

Well, if you're willing to get hit 4-5%, you can always do MoneyGram via bitinstant.com. I've done that once, but the whole thing feels like a drug-deal. You print out some paper from BitInstant with a bunch of account numbers from companies you've never heard of, then you go to a local Walmart/7-11/whatever, hand them the paper, and they direct you to a red land-line phone (in my experience, sitting between a CoinStar and a Redbox). Then you talk to someone on the other end, and then you go back to the clerk, fork over a bunch of $ cash, and the money (less 4-5%) shows up in your Gox account.

As noted, I've done this once. Worked fine (and had my $ on Gox within an hour). Felt ridiculous having to use such silly things as a land-line phone at a physical retailer in order to buy an online crypto-currency, but such is life...

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:38:12 PM

https://github.com/martindale/coinbase-trader
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:40:39 PM

Problem with coinbase, they'll turn over all your info to anyone 'official' who asks for it.  But if privacy isn't a huge issue, they're probably the easiest way to do it online.

oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 07:22:43 PM

I can't believe it's so backwards in US to buy bitcoins. I always thought that it's here in France technology is stupid and old. In EU you can send EUR with no fees to Bitcoin-Central.net (with fully-licensed payment processor and bank as partners) via wire transfer without giving them routing info. Then, trade to BTC in a second with 0.5% fee and move money out to your wallet without extra fees. Withdrawal limit is 100 BTC per 24 hours.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:32:27 PM

I can't believe it's so backwards in US to buy bitcoins.
Hint: the USA is the USSR with better marketing.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:33:01 PM

Sent you a PM.
dullmoment

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:38:36 PM

Hey OP did you ever find a good answer to this?
JonSnow

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:45:55 PM

We always have coins in stock and I'd be happy to help walk any parents through the process.  Smiley 

Even if they don't end up buying from us, I'm still happy to help answer questions if any of them want to email me. 
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:38:41 AM

Try bitstamp.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:41:54 AM

is bitinstant still a good option/legit?

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:01:49 AM

Yes, as long as you don't mind paying 4% over the exchange rate as well as providing your name, e-mail address, phone number to BitInstant and then showing an ID when handing over the cash at a MoneyGram station.  Also, the max purchase is $500 per transaction.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:20:05 AM

Yes, as long as you don't mind paying 4% over the exchange rate as well as providing your name, e-mail address, phone number to BitInstant and then showing an ID when handing over the cash at a MoneyGram station.  Also, the max purchase is $500 per transaction.

Ouch, the suck.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
BTC4Amazon

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 01:23:35 AM

I do a 1-3% fee for cash in mail.(depending on volume) Mail me Cash I send you bitcoins
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:26:39 AM

Can he afford 200 more when the price goes down?
That is the method I recommend.  Cheesy

yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 01:37:00 AM

Well, if you're willing to get hit 4-5%, you can always do MoneyGram via bitinstant.com. I've done that once, but the whole thing feels like a drug-deal. You print out some paper from BitInstant with a bunch of account numbers from companies you've never heard of, then you go to a local Walmart/7-11/whatever, hand them the paper, and they direct you to a red land-line phone (in my experience, sitting between a CoinStar and a Redbox). Then you talk to someone on the other end, and then you go back to the clerk, fork over a bunch of $ cash, and the money (less 4-5%) shows up in your Gox account.

As noted, I've done this once. Worked fine (and had my $ on Gox within an hour). Felt ridiculous having to use such silly things as a land-line phone at a physical retailer in order to buy an online crypto-currency, but such is life...

Don't go to whatever next time. Go to your favorite liqueur store. Last time I came there with paper from bitintstant, they gave me a discount on vodka. I payed too much anyway, and never going to use bitinstant anymore, unless I am in big rush.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: