Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:54:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: May want to move your funds from MtGox this week  (Read 3488 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 06:56:49 PM

I have confidence in MtGox and I tend to trust a portion of my BTC in my account, but with their transition to the US and with prices going up so much bad things could happen.

Transfer most of your coins to an offline wallet for a while, keep your private key secure.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:00:28 PM

Normally I'd be against alarmist posts, but since there isn't much reason to have MtGox holding your private wallet contents in the first place, this post just rings of common sense and nothing else. Bitcoins should always be under your own control until you're ready to spend them.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 07:14:39 PM

Normally I'd be against alarmist posts, but since there isn't much reason to have MtGox holding your private wallet contents in the first place, this post just rings of common sense and nothing else. Bitcoins should always be under your own control until you're ready to spend them.

It is common sense for most of us but when I first started trading I kept almost all of my BTC on my exchange accounts. Fortunately someone posted something similar about not trusting your BTC on exchanges. I pulled almost all of my BTC out of Bitcoinica soon after that. A week later they got hacked.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
blackreplica

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 07:44:16 PM

Personally I pulled all of mine off Mt Gox to a blockchain wallet, encrypted it with 2 passwords and set my mobile number for 2FA, just last week. Prior to that everything just sat in my trading account (though i did have a yubikey 2FA on my Gox account)

The main reason was simply because with the recent price runup, the value of my holdings was just too substantial now to just leave on an exchange rather than any doubts on Mt Gox in particular. The incentive to hack is really high now though, who knows Gox may get hacked again in future.

Never hurts to be careful, especially with something so easily movable as bitcoin

www.sgBitcoin.net - The Premier News, Discussion & Marketplace Destination for the Singaporean Bitcoin Community
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:47:12 PM

I try to keep only a few hundred dollars worth of coins at the exchange. But it keeps going up so I am constantly pulling more out.
Not a bad problem to have.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ehoffman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:48:22 PM

Well, I was thinking of that, but you know, the incentive is as great to write a virus that could get your wallet.dat and keystokes of your password...  Maybe diversifying, in 3 exchanges plus your wallet, so if one get hacked, you only lose 25%...

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:48:49 PM

Who would keep their money at a centralized website, rather than a decentralized wallet?  Smiley

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Jrock

Activity: 363

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:54:35 PM

You guys are making me nervous.

I keep a lot of cash in mtgox cause I keep hoping for a major crash lol.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:57:01 PM

Well, I was thinking of that, but you know, the incentive is as great to write a virus that could get your wallet.dat and keystokes of your password...  Maybe diversifying, in 3 exchanges plus your wallet, so if one get hacked, you only lose 25%...
That would help. Better yet, come get mine. They are on a USB stick right behind me and my arsenal of assault weapons.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:58:32 PM

Learn to use secure offline storage. Armory is great.
Mae

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 10:10:03 PM

Yeah me too! hehe But I prefer the dollars to sit and wait in my ordinary bank account. If that happens then I will send the money again to MtGox.

Now the BTC is so expensieve... it looks like really interesting for hackers to thief. Also since BTC is anonymous you can't sue or track the thief... to thief bit coins is a no-brainer, it's almost sure you won't go to jail! A friend of mine works as security auditor and I've learnt that no system is really safe, the only safe place for a server is under water and unplugged.
yokosan

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:14:35 PM

Yeah me too! hehe But I prefer the dollars to sit and wait in my ordinary bank account. If that happens then I will send the money again to MtGox.

Now the BTC is so expensieve... it looks like really interesting for hackers to thief. Also since BTC is anonymous you can't sue or track the thief... to thief bit coins is a no-brainer, it's almost sure you won't go to jail! A friend of mine works as security auditor and I've learnt that no system is really safe, the only safe place for a server is under water and unplugged.

The private keys aren't even held on the gox servers. The worst a hacker could do is get hold of all the password hashes, which doesn't matter if you use 2 factor authentication.

The biggest weakness is a full blown raid of their office.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:14:58 PM

You will have hard time not to buy at $1000,
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 10:24:33 PM

I've learnt that no system is really safe, the only safe place for a server is under water and unplugged.

That is where I keep my wallet file.

ehoffman

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:15:55 AM

I guess one thing that can be done is create a second wallet, by starting bitcoin-qt specifying an alternate directory (for ex: bitcoin-qt.exe -datadir=%APPDATA%\BitcoinAlternateDir).  Then, a new wallet.dat is created.  Encrypt that wallet, copy  the 'receive coin' address to clipboard.

Now, from the client where you have your coins, transfer to the new wallet address.  If you go to your new client, you should be able to confirm you have received the transaction.  From there, there's no point to wait for the 6 confirmations.  In fact, you don't even have to check the new client that you 'received transaction'.  It's in the global blockchain, and your new wallet.dat is just the private key.

Close the new client and copy the new client wallet.dat to a safe place.  Do multiple offline copies (USB stick, DVD, floppy disk, audio cassette using Comodore-64 dataset, punch card, whatever! Tongue), as long as those stays offline.  You have the password in your head, and the key file offline.  Now, if you delete the new client wallet.dat from computer, it's safe from hacking.

The fun thing is you can even split for example 20BTC to one wallet.dat file.  40BTC to another, etc.

The day you do need this money, you just do as above, creating a new work directory, but then, copy the wallet.dat from storage to the new work directory.  Start bitcoin-qt, and use your funds as needed.

So, is this correct?  Does it make sense?  Am I missing something?  I think you can even run multiple instances of bitcoin-qt simultaneously each in their own workdir.

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 12:24:38 AM

Use an offline computer.

Run VanityGen (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25804.0)

Get a public key/private key.

Write them down/engrave it on a ring/tattoo it to your penis.

Go to MtGox and withdraw to Bitcoin, give your public key.

No hacker can get to your private key unless they had some screen recording virus going on, even then you can encrypt your vanitygen key with a password that is not displayed.

Just do not lose that private key.

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:29:52 AM

It is common sense for most of us but when I first started trading I kept almost all of my BTC on my exchange accounts. Fortunately someone posted something similar about not trusting your BTC on exchanges. I pulled almost all of my BTC out of Bitcoinica soon after that. A week later they got hacked.

Dang ! Yes, it's good advice you're giving out here!
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:31:45 AM

The private keys aren't even held on the gox servers. The worst a hacker could do is get hold of all the password hashes, which doesn't matter if you use 2 factor authentication.

The biggest weakness is a full blown raid of their office.

LOL - everybody should work remotely in unknown locations! Smiley
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:04:17 AM

LOL - everybody should work remotely in unknown locations! Smiley

They should come up with some kind of currency that facilitates this.

yokosan

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 09:34:59 AM

I guess one thing that can be done is create a second wallet, by starting bitcoin-qt specifying an alternate directory (for ex: bitcoin-qt.exe -datadir=%APPDATA%\BitcoinAlternateDir).  Then, a new wallet.dat is created.  Encrypt that wallet, copy  the 'receive coin' address to clipboard.

Or you just do an offline wallet with armory. You can see the balance but never spend the coins as the wallet is held on an offline computer.

When you send funds you take your USB stick to the offline computer for a signature and bring it back to send.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: