Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:01:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible explanation for the recent 48 hrs price massacre  (Read 7246 times)
andes (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:00:18 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 03:06:44 PM by andes

I am no trader, but it makes sense to me that many miners or early adopters were waiting for some round number to cash out, and it happened that 30 dollars caused some wealthy bitcoiners to sell massively. Remember that the nature of bitcoin is a bit strange in that the early adopters got massive amounts of bitcoins at practically no cost, so this gives them incentive for selling massively at some point to get filthy rich. When they decide to cash out, massive price drops are to be expected. This in turn caused many other miners and scared weak hands to sell also, and the price to drop further.

If this theory is right, we should be just in a healthy correction, meaning bitcoins are changing hands from a first generation adopters owning dirt cheap bitcoins in massive amounts, to second generation adopters, owning less amounts of relatively more expensive bitcoins, and should see the price start rising again soon. The more early adopters sell their massive amounts of bitcoins, the healthier the bitcoin economy will be, because people who buy at higher prices dont have so many bitcoins, and are expecting to see more profit before voluntaily selling.

https://i.imgur.com/tdLpH.png

https://i.imgur.com/tw8Pc.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
andes (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:08:35 AM

Would like to post a graph, can anyone explain to me how to do that in this forum? I press the "insert image" button but it does not work.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:11:13 AM

Would like to post a graph, can anyone explain to me how to do that in this forum? I press the "insert image" button but it does not work.

You have to insert the URL of the graph between the [img] code.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
kiwiasian

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:12:28 AM

Wrap it around the [IMG] code

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
andes (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:12:46 AM

Thanks, cant I upload an image directly from my desktop?
kiwiasian

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:14:07 AM

Thanks, cant I upload an image directly from my desktop?

Use www.imgur.com

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
andes (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:15:42 AM

Cool, thanks man.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:24:15 AM

You must be new to the Internet. I wish I could have skipped the AOL and Myspace days...
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:31:40 AM

I believe in Bitcoins as much as I ever did. But anyone who believes prices will fall more and doesn't sell is a fool. I'll happily buy back in when I believe a bottom has come because Bitcoins are, to me, as valuable as ever.

This price drop is simply a way of me doubling my bitcoin holding. I would bet I'm not alone. It certainly doesn't say anything about loyalty (and loyalty to a protocol would be pretty weird).

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:48:29 AM

So, if early adopters were waiting for the $30 mark, why did so many of them cash out at prices far, far, far below that mark?

I don't think you understand how the exchange works.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
andes (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:57:36 AM

So, if early adopters were waiting for the $30 mark, why did so many of them cash out at prices far, far, far below that mark?

I don't think you understand how the exchange works.
I dont understand what you mean by saying that there were so many cashing out far below the mark. You mean before or after this crash?

My point is that big sells would bring the price down massively. You know, supply increases massively and demand stays the same. Suddenly the same amount of dollars are chasing many, many more bitcoins. After the first crash in price, many get scared, and the price goes down further for a while.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:40:35 AM

There are bids, and there are asks.  Orders clear when the two meet.  You don't cash out at $30 by putting your asks below that price.  The only way to move the price down is for sellers to be willing to accept less.

I'm not saying that this wasn't a correction/panic sell off, because it really looks like one.  I'm saying that a cashout attempt at a given price cannot drive the price below that level, it merely prevents it from rising above it until the volume clears.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 08:59:04 AM

I'm in ur thread, moderatin it.

Don't post image spam again, andes.

andes (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:00:08 AM

There are bids, and there are asks.  Orders clear when the two meet.  You don't cash out at $30 by putting your asks below that price.  The only way to move the price down is for sellers to be willing to accept less.

I'm not saying that this wasn't a correction/panic sell off, because it really looks like one.  I'm saying that a cashout attempt at a given price cannot drive the price below that level, it merely prevents it from rising above it until the volume clears.

As far as I understand, what you say only makes sense if you ignore transaccions outside the open exchange. To me the demand and supply are based in more fundamental things than the exchange. So I think its a fallacy to conclude that a big transaccion outside the open exchange will not move the markets. A big sell (no matter where) will mean less dollars available to trade in mtgox, so the price drops. Also if a big player wants to cash out fast, I dont rule out that he ends up putting his asks below his initial price.
andes (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:01:40 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 10:42:38 AM by andes

I'm in ur thread, moderatin it.

Don't post image spam again, andes.
Diablo, please explain why did you delete my market charts, and why did you call them spam. They were important to what I was comunicating, and it took me some time to capture them from Bitcoin Charts, annotate and upload them. I really dont get it.

BTW, you not only deleted my graphs, but also some replies other people did to them!
btcLeger

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:11:12 AM

Sure it can. I decided to sell my 100.000 BTC when the market reached 30$/BTC, fearing others would take that opportunity first. Prices exaggerated strongly the hours before, best time to sell. Its the decision I made at 30$, not the order I placed at 30$. I placed various orders in various amounts at various prices. 1000BTC at 30.2, 1500 BTC at 29.8, 1200 BTC at 29.6, 2000 BTC at 29.3 and so forth. I had an average selling price of 26$ at the end. Many other will have seen the massive and sudden exaggeration and stepped in once the price started dropping, signalizing a possible reversion of the price trend.

Sure it can work that way. 30$ was psychological mark that may have triggered a selloff once some people dumped large ammounts into the market.

I use TradeHill instant BTC trading: http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R11320

donations: 12BdMNcn7VQitFGMhtRojvwXbrX3Jcs9U6
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:14:17 AM

@btcLeger

so can we confirm then that you are the first actual 'bitcoin millionaire' (actual in terms of converted USD holdings)?
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:36:00 AM

I strongly feel we are now in the dead cat bounce phase of the bitcoin/USD$ price.  Look it up on Wikipedia.  Anything that falls as far as BTC has in the last 4 days is bound to have a semi revival, before falling even lower.  I still bet BTC will be below $10 by the end of this week.  The problem is difficulty is now set to reset so high that many miners (including myself) will drop out on Wednesday.  That will severely weaken the network.  I doubt anyone's too interested in mining for $5 a day after power/computing costs.
Justsomeforumuser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:44:49 AM

Sure it can. I decided to sell my 100.000 BTC

I had an average selling price of 26$ at the end.

So you are a real world millionaire now?
Did you cash this out into your real bank account?

What do you plan to do with it? (Don't forget to find yourself banks with seperate account insurance over FDIC or whichever applicable local entity limit, perhaps spread the assets across 3-4 banks)

Are you considering T-Bill laddering / other yield rotation and living off of interest and part timing eventually?

Or hookers and blow all the way? (Semi-serious question..)

Ho-Hum.
neptop

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:47:01 AM

@Cluster2k: I think you forget one thing. At the beginning of this month the price was similar to the current price.

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: