Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:31:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Steemit website was hacked  (Read 2491 times)
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2016, 08:48:15 AM

There you go... another DAO....

"Steemit announced on their website that they were hacked.

The attack, according to them, has compromised about 260 accounts. A little less than US$ 85,000 worth of Steem Dollars and Steem are reported to have been taken by the attackers.

In the security announcement CEO of Steemit Ned Scott said:

“User accounts and wallets are not at risk, and we hope to soon reactivate the Steemit website to normal order. Any users whose accounts were compromised will be completely reimbursed.”

Law enforcement informed

At the moment it appears that the virtual currency itself has not been compromised but only the Steemit website has had issues. Steemit have informed their partner exchange Bittrex, who are helping with the investigation of the hacking incident. Steemit have also informed authorities including the police and the FBI of the hack.

What is being done

Some hours later Steemit have released another statement which says that they have been able to coordinate elected witnesses to secure compromised accounts which have balances of more than US$ 100. Ned Scott the CEO further states that:

“Within the next 48 hours, Steemit will begin to allow all newly secured accounts to reset their passwords simply by logging in with the same Facebook or Reddit credentials that were used to register in the first place. This easy process will work for the vast majority of the potentially compromised accounts. All of these account holders will regain full access to their funds and their original account name.”

Refund for users

Bittrex, on their part, temporarily suspended deposit and withdrawal of Steem and Steem Dollars at their exchange.

Steem has asked its users to contact their support team at contact@steemit.com if their account was not created through facebook or reddit.

For the users that used their social networking Ids to create the account, they will be able to login using the same credentials they originally used within 48 hours.

It is expected that most users will be able to regain full access to accounts and funds. Steem it is advising their users to reset account passwords. Ned Scott in his communique has assured users again that “Any Steem or Steem Dollars stolen from compromised accounts will be fully refunded by Steemit.”

Source: http://cointelegraph.com/news/steemit-website-hacked-ceo-promises-to-reset-accounts-in-48-hours

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tex99

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 09:42:12 AM

It is expected that most users will be able to regain full access to accounts and funds.

That statement implies there will be a small number who won't be able to regain full access to accounts and funds. What about them? Don't they matter if they are in a small minority, and the majority get their money back?
CoinBreader

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 09:47:03 AM

Was expected dont you think ??
The think is how its gonna end up , what would be their future moves and so on..
I cant not recall a single website it can not be hacked, we have seen it everywhere and we continue see that kind of incidents the question is how they will proceed in future and handle it , and last but not least every crypto currency has its own drama!   Wink but these moments are the perfect time for FUDers, mini PnD, raise your position or even make some nice & fast profit!
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2016, 09:56:25 AM

I cant not recall a single website it can not be hacked, we have seen it everywhere and we continue see that kind of incidents the question is how they will proceed in future and handle it , and last but not least every crypto currency has its own drama!

You're right, but the question here is how they are handling the funds (i.e. distribution). As far as I know there was no ICO/crowdsale in steem, but I'm not sure that everything is transparent.

greenuser

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Marie Curie, 2 x Nobel Prizes Physics & Chemistry

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:04:43 AM

As i understand it, Steemit is a platform where you get paid for your social media activity.  This means you run their software (that you have trust in) and use your social media credentials to log in?

Wow, they are data rich, they know everything about you then?  So there is more to lose than just a few tokens?  Sounds like a "False flag" attack

Wosterlee

Activity: 220
Merit: 110

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:19:25 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 10:30:47 AM by Wosterlee

greenuser

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:26:04 AM

There is nothing wrong with a good Ponzi.  I love them.  I can make a bob or two on a good Ponzi.  You need to be an early adopter but you also need to get out early, just before people are asked to "doubble down".

Im thinking "false flag attack".  It does happen.  Mark Karpeles, the CEO  of Mt Gox, has been released today by Japanese authorities on bail 10 months after being charged with embezzlement. He has reportedly paid a bail fee of $95k.

tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:44:47 AM

This was going to happen at some point, especially when they are building a pretty impressive user database, this will no doubt be a target again as thei usserbase grows, I hope they nip this in the bud early on.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:56:18 AM

Good that it happened early. A late hack would mean more naive people to lose their fund.

spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2016, 11:08:29 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 01:13:11 PM by spartak_t

I agree with you both, but what they are trying to do something that requires a lot of funds, not to mention that I already raised some concerns about how it will evolve, and if this model would work. I will repeat that I didn't make deep researches on STEEM, but the way I see it... it will FAIL.

greenuser

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 11:15:57 AM

I dont think it will fail. It will be proped up by western governments as it is a crackingly good surveillance tool

social crypto comunity

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 11:38:44 AM

bad news is steem coin is several day lauch is get hack people
i hope is clear and happy ending and unfrozen in bittrex
and will can trading again in bittrex with steem coin
Foex

Activity: 432

Bitrated user: Foex.

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2016, 11:45:00 AM

Nothing is safe in crypto. Everything is hackable.. Cheesy

0xdB9A9D39B17F1223BF590a3F9D1FC7f2058eB111
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 11:51:40 AM

Nothing is safe in crypto. Everything is hackable.. Cheesy
I think its not crypto its website script they are using for their website. There are lots of hackers around who can easily hack websites and access user accounts. I see this as website hack rather than steemit blockchain being hacked.

I have 0 balance in my steemit account so i don't think my account is also hacked.  Grin

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2016, 11:52:23 AM

There is something else to worry about. What will happen with the price once trading is enabled on Bittrex? I would sell right away if I had any.

mining1

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 12:07:53 PM

This shit doesnt have 10% of ethereum potential and it wont be able to hold its price. I own 0 steem and im not planning to buy any, but if i would be you i'd sell minimum 50% and up to 75% of the stake. And again, if i would be you, i would invest in ethereum since its obvious ( 90% chance, my estimation ) that ethereum will go above 15$ after the fork and soon after that back to 20$. Wether or not the fork will pass, but the "crysis" period will be gone.
It's just my opinion,  but atm ethereum is the only crypto out there with highest chance of growth, bitcoin halved and as i expected the halving itself didnt bring any more value, therefore theres no profit to be made with bitcoin.
asevastos

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 12:16:15 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 12:36:19 PM by asevastos

Wow, they are data rich, they know everything about you then?  So there is more to lose than just a few tokens?  Sounds like a "False flag" attack

From what i can tell everyone knows everything about everyone else
anyway since all your activity is logged on a public blockchain.

spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2016, 12:20:34 PM

This shit doesnt have 10% of ethereum potential

Yeah, right. We all saw how EF handled $200Mn+ in funds. That's why serious investors like Barry Silbert are asking some questions. But you, of course, know better.

bitcoin halved and as i expected the halving itself didnt bring any more value, therefore theres no profit to be made with bitcoin.

Yet another bs. Who do you think moves the Bitcoin price? People with $5 in their pockets? It all comes to supply and demand. Serious people are now waiting. It can't happen in 5 days.

mining1

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 12:25:15 PM

Ofcourse i know better than a clueless person that didnt bother to check, here;s your list https://medium.com/@AroundTheBlock_/a-current-list-of-use-cases-for-ethereum-b8caa5807553#.u4gzcaioq
Serious people are waiting?  What exactly, the day after tomorrow ? People buy bitcoin to make speculation and therefore profit. And goin on with that in mind, its obvious altcoins have much more profit potential, it just takes some research to do good investments.
greenuser

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 12:28:40 PM

This shit doesnt have 10% of ethereum potential and it wont be able to hold its price. I own 0 steem and im not planning to buy any, but if i would be you i'd sell minimum 50% and up to 75% of the stake. And again, if i would be you, i would invest in ethereum since its obvious ( 90% chance, my estimation ) that ethereum will go above 15$ after the fork and soon after that back to 20$. Wether or not the fork will pass, but the "crysis" period will be gone.
It's just my opinion,  but atm ethereum is the only crypto out there with highest chance of growth, bitcoin halved and as i expected the halving itself didnt bring any more value, therefore theres no profit to be made with bitcoin.

It's true. I am not an eth fan but they have a hard-fork planed for the 20th of this month. Finally!

Also, Coinbase is continuing to cosy up to ethereum with its addition of direct buy methods later on this month. After the integration is complete you will be able to perform direct buy for ethereum with your credit card - just as you can for bitcoin.  

I guess Coinbase is waiting for the new "Geth" file....  So buy "eth" with your "steem" which you can probably do anonymously via shapshift ASAP, hold for a month, then sell?  Sounds perfect!

As for the BTC halfing.  two months ago btc was £300, today £500, two months time £600.  its looking like the halving is going well.  markets just take time to adjust

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: