Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:34:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need electoral GIS/mapping work done  (Read 916 times)
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:50:04 AM

I need a poll-by-poll map of a Ontario provincial riding that shows colour-coded results.

For example, each poll should be either dark blue (large Conservative win), light blue (narrower Conservative win), light red (narrow Liberal win), dark red (large Liberal win), light orange (narrow NDP win) etc. etc.

The percentage vote of the winner, and the voter turnout percentage should also be shown in each poll

I am unfamiliar with the mechanics of solving this problem, but I suspect it has something to do with using these files to create the map: http://www.elections.on.ca/en-CA/Tools/ElectoralDistricts/LimitedUseDataProductLicenceAgreement.htm

And this data to determine the winner/colour of each poll: http://www.wemakevotingeasy.ca/media/EO_Site/unofficial_244/results_2011csv.zip

Then I'm guessing I'd want to be able to view the maps in something like this: http://www.giscloud.com/

Can pay in BTC or USD.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:32:08 PM

No GIS pros on here?

Can anyone tell me if I'm at least headed in the right direction.
hashcode

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 09:12:41 PM

You've got the right idea, there's just a wealth of data in that election results file that would take a bit of time to compile into something usable for a map.

I'd be confident making jpgs of the maps you needed, but I'm only slightly familiar with the web based gis mapping you linked.

I'd be glad to take a look at doing this for you if you want to discuss timeframe/budget issues.
velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:54:13 AM

I could do this for you, but you'd need to provide the data sources.  If you got that, I can do the rest.

Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 02:30:10 AM

I could do this for you, but you'd need to provide the data sources.  If you got that, I can do the rest.

The only data I have is that linked to in the OP.  Actually it would be a subset of that data, as I'm just looking for one electoral district to be done, not all 107.

What other data would you need?
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:25:01 PM

Found an online solution, thanks for those who contacted me with offers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: