Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:01:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Mining Bounty  (Read 1003 times)
bkxpress2015 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:36:50 PM

Hey all.

I made a really dumb move and sent a transaction with a 0 tx fee. It's been over 24 hours with no movement...

The amount was only for 0.03 BTC, thankfully, but I was wondering if any miners could help me out. Here are the transaction details:

Date: 7/14/2016 13:29
To: 1FxQ7w5Y45a913tGqw22h9TLM1pbsXa1nc
Debit: -0.03000000 BTC
Net amount: -0.03000000 BTC
Transaction ID: d890605be31f55e0ce8e748b4b056bc7841aecf51bc95d5d3445799606f85df1-000

These are the only explorers I found it on:

https://live.blockcypher.com/btc/tx/d890605be31f55e0ce8e748b4b056bc7841aecf51bc95d5d3445799606f85df1/

https://bitcoinchain.com/block_explorer/tx/d890605be31f55e0ce8e748b4b056bc7841aecf51bc95d5d3445799606f85df1

I've never done anything like this, so don't really know the procedure. Do I just wait for someone to mine it and then send some BTC as a reward? How much would be a fair amount?

Please help!!  Cry

Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 02:45:19 AM

If you are using Bitcoin Core v.0.12 (and above), then you can try the abandontransaction command.

https://chainquery.com/bitcoin-api/abandontransaction
JarBinks

Activity: 144

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 02:54:54 AM

A zero fee, well that is something!

I am pretty sure if the abandontransaction command is not available to you, the only choice you have is to wait.
Maybe you should start a pool and take bets as to when it will be confirmed.

My guess would be eventually but not for sometime.
Since some of the larger miners mine either empty blocks or cherry pick based on fees, you will need to get luck.
LucioTan

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 03:05:38 AM

A zero fee, well that is something!

I am pretty sure if the abandontransaction command is not available to you, the only choice you have is to wait.
Maybe you should start a pool and take bets as to when it will be confirmed.

My guess would be eventually but not for sometime.
Since some of the larger miners mine either empty blocks or cherry pick based on fees, you will need to get luck.

Yes, it happened to me last time, when I widrawn from a gbling site. It usually arrives from 30 mins to 4 hrs. Maximum. But that widrawal took about 1 day and 5 hrs. That frustrates me a lot and what I do is that I makr myself busy so I will not be more frustrated and tjr transaction then have a confirmation. I guess you'll have to wait 5hrs more and then your transaction will ne confirmed soon.
bkxpress2015 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 03:54:27 AM

I'm using version 0.12.1, so should I go ahead and just use the abandontransaction command or wait it out? Will the 0.03 BTC I sent go back to my wallet balance immediately if I use that command?

Sorry for the noob ?s and thanks for all of your responses.

JarBinks

Activity: 144

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 04:13:02 AM

I'm using version 0.12.1, so should I go ahead and just use the abandontransaction command or wait it out? Will the 0.03 BTC I sent go back to my wallet balance immediately if I use that command?

You made me look it up which is good because it may not work they way I thought or on your problem.

This is the standard definition of how it works.

This talks about the transaction may just be automatically cancelled, though I have never seen that happen myself.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/48anyb/zerofee_transaction/

I still say create a betting pool, at least that way you can make enough for the fee you will eventually need to use.
bkxpress2015 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 04:32:40 AM

You made me look it up which is good because it may not work they way I thought or on your problem.

This is the standard definition of how it works.

This talks about the transaction may just be automatically cancelled, though I have never seen that happen myself.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/48anyb/zerofee_transaction/

I still say create a betting pool, at least that way you can make enough for the fee you will eventually need to use.

Thank you for the links. I'll research this more and see if it applies to my situation.

Are miners not able to cherry pick transactions to mine? I'd actually be willing to send like 250k sat or something as a reward for picking up my crappy zero-fee tx, lol...

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 01:43:33 PM

Are miners not able to cherry pick transactions to mine? I'd actually be willing to send like 250k sat or something as a reward for picking up my crappy zero-fee tx, lol...

Yes, they are if they are solo mining (and they technically understand how to do it).  If they are mining in a pool, then the pool needs to pick the transaction (which some pools are willing to do, and others are not).

F2Pool has been known to do the exact thing you are asking for (confirm a transaction in exchange for an out-of-band payment) on multiple occasions. I'm not sure how big of a payment they would want for your 225 byte transaction.  You could contact them and make an offer and see what they say.

I believe that pool is operated by a bitcointalk.org user that goes by the name of macbook-air.  You can try contacting him.

I'm using version 0.12.1, so should I go ahead and just use the abandontransaction command or wait it out?

Be careful using abandontransaction.  Doing so only removes the transaction from your own wallet. It does not cancel it on the network. Any network peer that has already received the transaction (including, but not limited to the recipient of the transaction) can rebroadcast that transaction anytime they like so long as the transaction inputs are still unspent.  If you abandon the transaction and create a new transaction (with an appropriate fee) to send bitcoins to your intended recipient, and your new transaction doesn't use any of the same transaction inputs, then it would be possible for the recipient (or anyone else) to rebroadcast your original transaction (and pay a pool to confirm it).  Then your recipient could potentially get paid twice from you.

To avoid this risk, you can take note of the current transaction inputs before you abandon the transaction, and then use the coin-control feature of Bitcoin Core 0.12.1 to choose at least one of those inputs for your new transaction.  If you aren't sure that you can figure out how to do that, you could just send your entire wallet balance to a new address after abandoning the transaction.  This would combine your entire wallet balance into a single brand new transaction output so that your abandoned transaction would no longer be valid.
bkxpress2015 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 11:06:35 PM

Yes, they are if they are solo mining (and they technically understand how to do it).  If they are mining in a pool, then the pool needs to pick the transaction (which some pools are willing to do, and others are not).

F2Pool has been known to do the exact thing you are asking for (confirm a transaction in exchange for an out-of-band payment) on multiple occasions. I'm not sure how big of a payment they would want for your 225 byte transaction.  You could contact them and make an offer and see what they say.

I believe that pool is operated by a bitcointalk.org user that goes by the name of macbook-air.  You can try contacting him.

I'm using version 0.12.1, so should I go ahead and just use the abandontransaction command or wait it out?

Be careful using abandontransaction.  Doing so only removes the transaction from your own wallet. It does not cancel it on the network. Any network peer that has already received the transaction (including, but not limited to the recipient of the transaction) can rebroadcast that transaction anytime they like so long as the transaction inputs are still unspent.  If you abandon the transaction and create a new transaction (with an appropriate fee) to send bitcoins to your intended recipient, and your new transaction doesn't use any of the same transaction inputs, then it would be possible for the recipient (or anyone else) to rebroadcast your original transaction (and pay a pool to confirm it).  Then your recipient could potentially get paid twice from you.

To avoid this risk, you can take note of the current transaction inputs before you abandon the transaction, and then use the coin-control feature of Bitcoin Core 0.12.1 to choose at least one of those inputs for your new transaction.  If you aren't sure that you can figure out how to do that, you could just send your entire wallet balance to a new address after abandoning the transaction.  This would combine your entire wallet balance into a single brand new transaction output so that your abandoned transaction would no longer be valid.

Wow, thanks so much for this awesome info! I'm going to contact the user you spoke of and see if he can help me out somehow. As for the abandontransaction command, I actually tried it yesterday but it failed and threw an error code which said: "Transaction not eligible for abandonment (code -5)"

I think the best bet at this point is to try to get a solo miner or pool operator to mine it for a reward. I mean, it's only like $20 worth of BTC, but it's just an unpleasant feeling knowing the funds are floating out there aimlessly in the void.

Thanks again all for the help. If anything, I've learned an important lesson here Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: