Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:19:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Question: Lots of people think Monday morning is when it will finally rebound due to an inflow of cash due to Dwolla and wires etc.  Where do you stand?
I do not have money in process on its way in. - 2 (6.7%)
I do not have money in process on its way in, but think there will be a lot of Monday morning buying. - 9 (30%)
I do not have money in process on its way in, and do NOT think there will be a lot of Monday morning buying. - 4 (13.3%)
I have money on its way in, and plan to buy BTC when it gets there. - 14 (46.7%)
I have money on its way in, but I'm probably going to withdraw it and not buy BTC. - 1 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monday morning rally for real?  (Read 1986 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 04:27:56 AM

This is a poll I posted in the regular discussion board, until I realized that newbies probably can't vote on it.  So I thought I'd post it on the newbie board, as the newbies on the board probably have the more relevant answer.

The talk on #bitcoin-otc is that bitcoins are a great buy now because droves of first-timers will be lining up on Monday morning to buy in.

I find myself in the doubter camp.  I'm not buying BTC.  To me, I can't think who would rationally want to jump in on Monday morning.  Especially knowing that over 60% of the "value" of Bitcoins evaporated while no more than two percent of them moved.  (as determined by Saturday volume divided by total circulation).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stordoff

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:29:42 AM

I think we'll see a spike on Monday, but not back up to the $30 level. IMO, that was just unsustainable at the present time.
JellyfishRancher

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:30:42 AM

The reason the value changed so much is because many people are hoarding bitcoins right now, so there are very few bids and one large sell can eat them all up. I am fairly confident that Monday morning will mean a new influx of traders as bank transfers will finally go through then. I will certainly be making a mad rush to buy BTC as soon as I can Monday when my transfer goes through, in order to get in before everyone else.
BobPanda

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:32:29 AM

The reason the value changed so much is because many people are hoarding bitcoins right now, so there are very few bids and one large sell can eat them all up. I am fairly confident that Monday morning will mean a new influx of traders as bank transfers will finally go through then. I will certainly be making a mad rush to buy BTC as soon as I can Monday when my transfer goes through, in order to get in before everyone else.

totally agree !
jondecker76

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:42:05 AM

I wish I would have kept some cash in MTGOX, I would have been buying all I could over the weekend!  Lesson learned, I'm going to keep a small amount (an amount that I can afford to lose if something goes wrong)  for occasions just like this

RollerBot Advanced Trading Platform
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=447727.0
BTC Donations for development: 1H36oTJsi3adFh68wwzz95tPP2xoAoTmhC
CbineUltra

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:49:47 AM

yep just waiting for my money to get on my account... hope my bank is quicker then other peoples Tongue

BobPanda

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:08:42 AM

yep just waiting for my money to get on my account... hope my bank is quicker then other peoples Tongue

really strange. a pending transfer from last week just came in to mtgox a few minutes ago.
so i immediately bought.  Grin
and now let's hope for the remains to arrive soon.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:19:09 AM

since this is bitcoins... it is hard to use past experience to make any type of guess.
but normally when something falls this fast people do get excited and want to buy.
i would say by monday evening we will be back up to 16-18.

what i find curious is why would someone sell on a weekend? as in that big block. why not
wait until weds or something when there is more support?
1.21gigawatts

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:19:40 AM

I would like to think that people have their money tied up, but dropping more than 50% doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for anyone looking to buy bitcoins.  I think the only rally we might get is the rally before the next difficulty goes up
Zeth

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:23:34 AM

I'm planning on buying at least 3 BTC tomorrow on top of what I already have. If there's similar people, we can expect a reversal of fortune.
wujh

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:47:50 AM

people may be too scared to buy btc as planned before.
but I did heard from a distributor, the people want to buy in btc is significantly increased since the plummet of the price.
1.21gigawatts

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:50:21 AM

I guess there shouldn't be people complaining who are waiting on the sidelines to get in.  Of course some people are mad because of the slowness..."Took X number of days to get my money and by that time bitcoins already doubled in price"

In this case, it was a blessing in disguise
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:52:17 AM

its a chance to get bitcoins

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:53:10 AM

Rally on Monday? Probably not. A margin increase at best. What you should be waiting for is the Silk-Road-Reopening rally.  Wink

Elon Krusky
konakevin

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:56:20 AM

I was so pissed watching BTC jump from 15 to 30 while waiting for Dwolla to set up my account.  Now I'm glad for the wait period... saved me some $$$.  I think I'll wait for it to go back under 10 before buying.
SpaceLord

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:10:58 AM

A few things:

SmartMoney blog posted a eye-catching headline and article. There's around 800k subscribers to the SM magazine. Let's say twice that many people read the blog. Let's say 1% of these people are willing to try BitCoin out, and each of these people have 200 dollars, on average, to spend. That's 3,200,000 people with 0 BTC entering the market. That could move the MtGox price up quite a bit.

It was picked up on the Yahoo home page. That's a big deal.

It can take several days to get going with BitCoin. I give it till Tuesday afternoon to heat up. We'll see.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:12:22 AM

I find myself in the doubter camp.  I'm not buying BTC.  To me, I can't think who would rationally want to jump in on Monday morning.  Especially knowing that over 60% of the "value" of Bitcoins evaporated while no more than two percent of them moved.  (as determined by Saturday volume divided by total circulation).

Bitcoin has always been a thinly traded market.  A $150k buy causes the price to skyrocket, 1000% or more.  A $150k sell causes a huge price drop, 60% or more.  $150k is nothing to a VC or bored trader.

This is precisely how thinly traded, volatile markets behave.  Penny stocks are quite similar (including all the vocal lovers and haters on twitter and various message boards).

More importantly, on weekends, bank transfers and big money are completely asleep.

Absolutely nothing has changed fundamentally about bitcoins in the past days/weeks.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
BTCPrizes

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:14:27 AM

This is a poll I posted in the regular discussion board, until I realized that newbies probably can't vote on it.  So I thought I'd post it on the newbie board, as the newbies on the board probably have the more relevant answer.

The talk on #bitcoin-otc is that bitcoins are a great buy now because droves of first-timers will be lining up on Monday morning to buy in.

I believe there will be a slight raise on monday but not a huge spike. Fear runs deep and many traders are probably reluctunt to buying in. We'll see more miners for sure and fewer buy-ins. Perhaps larger investors will get in at this point but we've just about broken the emotional barrier of $10... so it could really go either way.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 07:22:33 AM

A few things:

SmartMoney blog posted a eye-catching headline and article. There's around 800k subscribers to the SM magazine. Let's say twice that many people read the blog. Let's say 1% of these people are willing to try BitCoin out, and each of these people have 200 dollars, on average, to spend. That's 3,200,000 people with 0 BTC entering the market. That could move the MtGox price up quite a bit.

It was picked up on the Yahoo home page. That's a big deal.

It can take several days to get going with BitCoin. I give it till Tuesday afternoon to heat up. We'll see.

That's a very optimistic view you have there. I'd rework your formula to maybe 1/10th of 1% at best. Most people who are interested are watching from the sidelines, and having a look at the fundamentals. It'd be really neat if a few large benevolent / supportive people or entities would create some more liquidity in the market. $5m should do the trick. Wink

dinzy

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:32:05 AM

I expect there will definitely be a bump from all the people trying to get in.  Such as myself Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: