Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:47:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Turkey Blocks Reddit access - decentralized social networks are needed -Synereo?  (Read 833 times)
Joerii (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2016, 08:29:40 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2016, 06:51:29 PM by Joerii

Found this article about Synereo :

Turkey Blocks Reddit Access – Decentralized Social Networks Are Needed

I'll copy paste the article here ( check out the link to the article though for more links and pics ) :

------

The concept of freedom of speech is great on paper, but it doesn’t seem to every practical by any means. China has its “Great Firewall”, effectively cutting off the country from most foreign websites that can not be controlled by the government. Russia’s Internet watchdog is trigger-happy on getting certain websites blocked, and now the Turkish government has decided to block all traffic to the Reddit platform. It’s a good thing Bitcoin discussions can be hosted elsewhere. Otherwise this would create a major issue.

Also read: Bitcoin Overtakes Yuan On Google Trends

REDDIT INACCESSIBLE FROM TURKEY

What makes this story of particular interest is how there has been no official communiqué regarding the reason for blocking Reddit access. According to the information we have received, the Turkish government has made DNS changes to block access to the Reddit platform anywhere in the country. It is not the first time the country takes an aggressive stance towards social networking sites.

As of this Friday, the blockade has been in effect, as various Internet users voiced their concerns regarding Reddit not being accessible. Based on the information provided by a dedicated government website, the route to Reddit has been restricted due to a “technical analysis and legal considerations”.

Bypassing this blockade is not all that difficult, as individual users can manually update their device’s DNS settings. While this process is not as straightforward for less tech-savvy people, Google has put together a comprehensive guide on how to change DNS settings. For now, this process will make Reddit accessible again for Turkish Internet users, although that situation can change at any time.

The only way to prevent these scenarios is by embracing decentralized social media networks. Facebook, Twitter, and consorts are all very popular social networking sites, but each and every one of them possesses a central point of failure. Decentralized solutions are the answer, and several of these projects are in development as we speak.

DECENTRALIZED SOCIAL NETWORKS THROUGH BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY

One of those platforms is called Synereo, which touts itself as being the “next-gen social platform.” By removing any single point of failure, the Synereo social network can not be taken down, hijacked, or blocked by government officials. Additionally, users can determine who can see their profile and content if needed, rather than making it public automatically.

Datt is another decentralized social media network, developed by former Reddit employee Ryan X. Charles. But there is more to Datt than just being another social media network, as the platform offers Bitcoin-powered incentives as well. On top of that, Datt will embrace commerce, allowing users to buy and sell just about everything.

Source: Eekg

Thoughts ?

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
CryptoClub
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

cryptocollectorsclub.com

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 08:41:12 AM

Found this article about Synereo :

Turkey Blocks Reddit Access – Decentralized Social Networks Are Needed

I'll copy paste the article here ( check out the link to the article though for more links and pics ) :

------

The concept of freedom of speech is great on paper, but it doesn’t seem to every practical by any means. China has its “Great Firewall”, effectively cutting off the country from most foreign websites that can not be controlled by the government. Russia’s Internet watchdog is trigger-happy on getting certain websites blocked, and now the Turkish government has decided to block all traffic to the Reddit platform. It’s a good thing Bitcoin discussions can be hosted elsewhere. Otherwise this would create a major issue.

Also read: Bitcoin Overtakes Yuan On Google Trends

REDDIT INACCESSIBLE FROM TURKEY

What makes this story of particular interest is how there has been no official communiqué regarding the reason for blocking Reddit access. According to the information we have received, the Turkish government has made DNS changes to block access to the Reddit platform anywhere in the country. It is not the first time the country takes an aggressive stance towards social networking sites.

As of this Friday, the blockade has been in effect, as various Internet users voiced their concerns regarding Reddit not being accessible. Based on the information provided by a dedicated government website, the route to Reddit has been restricted due to a “technical analysis and legal considerations”.

Bypassing this blockade is not all that difficult, as individual users can manually update their device’s DNS settings. While this process is not as straightforward for less tech-savvy people, Google has put together a comprehensive guide on how to change DNS settings. For now, this process will make Reddit accessible again for Turkish Internet users, although that situation can change at any time.

The only way to prevent these scenarios is by embracing decentralized social media networks. Facebook, Twitter, and consorts are all very popular social networking sites, but each and every one of them possesses a central point of failure. Decentralized solutions are the answer, and several of these projects are in development as we speak.

DECENTRALIZED SOCIAL NETWORKS THROUGH BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY

One of those platforms is called Synereo, which touts itself as being the “next-gen social platform.” By removing any single point of failure, the Synereo social network can not be taken down, hijacked, or blocked by government officials. Additionally, users can determine who can see their profile and content if needed, rather than making it public automatically.

Datt is another decentralized social media network, developed by former Reddit employee Ryan X. Charles. But there is more to Datt than just being another social media network, as the platform offers Bitcoin-powered incentives as well. On top of that, Datt will embrace commerce, allowing users to buy and sell just about everything.

Source: Eekg

Thoughts ?

I agree, other than I would say it is the next gen solution for Social Media. Everything I have seen about it is revolutionary.

(I also am consulting with Synereo AMP, but only because I realized how amazing it is and what a great team they have)

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 11:17:24 AM

You can't silence the Synereo.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
netnetcoin

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 12:03:21 PM

http://namecha.in/name/d/buckfillary zeronet over tor or steemit

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1426

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 03:23:01 PM

It would also be a good idea for their citizens to install a mesh network app just in case their government decides to shut down the internet.  Fire Chat would do a good job of connecting people together using smart phones even when they're not connected to the internet and keeping communications P2P.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 05:38:22 PM

hope synereo overcome steemit, it definitely have potential to do that.
Joerii (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2016, 06:06:03 PM

It would also be a good idea for their citizens to install a mesh network app just in case their government decides to shut down the internet.  Fire Chat would do a good job of connecting people together using smart phones even when they're not connected to the internet and keeping communications P2P.

Cool idea. I think that will be possible with MaidSafe, wouldn't it ?

Joerii (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 06:21:58 AM

Why do you think so ?

I think Steemit is doing something right, with that big userbase and big hype they built up.
I've been hearing some crazy stories about bots that reply to posts and generate a HUGE income though.

I wonder how Synereo is going to prevent things like that from happening.

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 06:24:23 AM

It's coming.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
Mokuton

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 06:25:18 AM

It's coming.

Soon my friends!
bluehawk

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 07:15:06 AM

It's coming.

is coming or is overcoming? when? im getting really interested in synereo but where can i learn more practical stuff?
Joerii (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 08:28:00 AM

It's coming.

is coming or is overcoming? when? im getting really interested in synereo but where can i learn more practical stuff?

Well I don't know if Synereo will overcome Steemit. The HUGE difference is that Steemit is centralized, but even still I really dig the concept.

Synereo is launching it's Alpha release in September, if that answers your question.

Yeah I think Synereo is pretty awesome too! Together with Factom and MaidSafe, these are the projects that have a really big potential to become the next big thing in the wonderful world of decentralization.

I went into the AMP thread and grabbed some links for you to click. With pics even, woo. Hope I didn't break the BBCODE....

Get in Touch

[/list][/list][/list]

bluehawk

Activity: 12
        Merit: 0

View Profile
        July 17, 2016, 10:24:51 AM

thanks Jeorii. also slack right? anyone have a link for that?
        isvicre

Activity: 826
        Merit: 1000

View Profile
        July 21, 2016, 11:31:22 AM

Access to crucial Information in an oppresive regime and the ability to communicate is what is important here.  Not shilling for steemit.
        Pages: [1]
          Print  

Jump to: