Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:35:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles Hoskinson at Coinscrum on Blockchain 3.0  (Read 2971 times)
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:27:12 AM

P.S. when professional athletes become too old to compete and become a liability to their team, they retire. When old programmers become too old to code, perhaps we should also retire and not hang on as frustrated trolls. Linus said, "talk is cheap, show me the code". In this context, I am thinking that if one has stopped coding, they too far removed from the details. Being productive producing code has a way of satiating one's sense of accomplishment, eliminating the need to say something when one really had nothing to say of value.

I agree, you should quit being a frustrated troll and retire.
 Cheesy

Cool

FYI:
You walked right into that one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:46:05 AM

On a more serious Note, skimmed the video.

It almost seems like the OP would like an Artificial Intelligence to govern and manage the blockchain in version 3.
IMO,
Until you can include Empathy and Compassion into an AI, the results of such a system will always be disaster.
Pure Logic is great , however Emotions make life worth living and can keep a Man from being a Monster,
if your control system is meant to simulate a human without feelings, A monster it will be.   Tongue

Cool
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:46:39 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2016, 11:02:00 AM by iamnotback

This is a high level academic discussion. I applaud it and wish we all could lift ourselves up to such a level.

I'm starting to become more Smooth-level bearish on the ability to create beneficial decentralized coins for a few reasons:

Smooth didn't inform me he had become so bearish. Is this why he apparently backed off his Monero/PoW dogma and joined Steem's DPoS marketing experiment? I am thinking (in addition to the effect of earning $10 million for doing nothing but mine a stealthmine at minimal cost+effort), that smooth is interested in any experiment that can popularize block chains and find a wide-scale use case for them.

1)  The subject I was talking about where any succesful cryptocurrency will have standardized alias systems, and the government will create their own alias system scaffolding and force everyone to route transactions through it, making whatever you do in the base layer pointless because you will end up with governmentcoin no matter what.

2)  The re-realization about what Ted Kaczynski said about technology being a net negative for freedom and how that inevitably applies to cryptocurrency (see above example)

I rebutted that in your observer thread.

3)  The fact that any open loop system will always be bottlenecked by the centralized fabs such as TSMC, Global Foundries, Samsung, and Intel.  This means no matter what you do, you will always have the equivalent of four "pools".

Not with my design.

4)  The problem that the inherent value of the blockchain is entirely derived from the ability of everyone who uses the currency being able to mine it, because the main purpose of PoW is to create a decentralized exchange.  You remove the decentralized exchange aspect and you have nothing.  This is why things like defeating ASICs is important, yet maybe impossible.

DEX can be done another way, not only via mining. See the "cut and choose" discussion I participated in Bitcoin Technical Discussion forum with TierNolan and jl777.

5)  The ability for people to do things like mine silver will always be far more accesible in the end game than any cryptocurrency, meaning the superior altcoin everyone is trying to create already exists in the real world and it's called silver.

I emphatically disagree! Bloggers are earning CC tokens right now on Steemit with 5 second signup.

Btw, for readers who don't know it, silver is often mined nearer to the surface of the earth than gold, thus is more accessible to individuals.

6)  As I stated before, the best example of an optimal currency that isn't just an instrument of debt or IOU would be "energon" from the transformers cartoon - blocks of energy that can be redeemed at full face value at any time regardless of externalities.  This is why in lieu of such a system, the world converged on the oil dollar.  The ideal currency will always have metastability, the ability to do work.  Without such high metastibility, the world would converge on just blocks of scarce matter, since matter is also energy, and that's where you get gold and silver.

The electrical power consumption of PoW block chains should become miniscule relative to the transacted value. That is a very fundamental and key factoid. I am sure Charles knows that or is paying attention to my point.

7)  Once you read the above statement, the fact that we are dumping energy into cryptocurrency instead of extracing it to do work really makes you scratch your head.

Incorrect. We are extracting much more energy in the form of transactional value and network effects.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 10:53:02 AM

This is a high level academic discussion. I applaud it and wish we all could lift ourselves up to such a level.

I'm starting to become more Smooth-level bearish on the ability to create beneficial decentralized coins for a few reasons:

1)  The subject I was talking about where any succesful cryptocurrency will have standardized alias systems, and the government will create their own alias system scaffolding and force everyone to route transactions through it, making whatever you do in the base layer pointless because you will end up with governmentcoin no matter what.

2)  The re-realization about what Ted Kaczynski said about technology being a net negative for freedom and how that inevitably applies to cryptocurrency (see above example)

3)  The fact that any open loop system will always be bottlenecked by the centralized fabs such as TSMC, Global Foundries, Samsung, and Intel.  This means no matter what you do, you will always have the equivalent of four "pools".

4)  The problem that the inherent value of the blockchain is entirely derived from the ability of everyone who uses the currency being able to mine it, because the main purpose of PoW is to create a decentralized exchange.  You remove the decentralized exchange aspect and you have nothing.  This is why things like defeating ASICs is important, yet maybe impossible.

5)  The ability for people to do things like mine silver will always be far more accesible in the end game than any cryptocurrency, meaning the superior altcoin everyone is trying to create already exists in the real world and it's called silver.

6)  As I stated before, the best example of an optimal currency that isn't just an instrument of debt or IOU would be "energon" from the transformers cartoon - blocks of energy that can be redeemed at full face value at any time regardless of externalities.  This is why in lieu of such a system, the world converged on the oil dollar.  The ideal currency will always have metastability, the ability to do work.  Without such high metastibility, the world would converge on just blocks of scarce matter, since matter is also energy, and that's where you get gold and silver.

7)  Once you read the above statement, the fact that we are dumping energy into cryptocurrency instead of extracing it to do work really makes you scratch your head.

Easy transference of virtual tokenization is a need physical data tokens can't deliver without restating them digitally--why bother with the extra step?

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 08:12:10 PM

This is a bit more productive. The key guys is to understand that you don't have to disagree or agree with everything I say. Rather it's a discussion with various viewpoints all intersecting at points and diverging in others. This is how we make progress as a space.

As for coding, the show me the code crowd is a bit exclusive. The best minds in cryptography are often terrible programmers. Programming is a skill set like painting or writing. You're implementing ideas. The ideas have to come from somewhere.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
iamnotback

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 12:26:34 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2016, 11:48:51 PM by iamnotback

The best minds in cryptography are often terrible programmers. Programming is a skill set like painting or writing. You're implementing ideas. The ideas have to come from somewhere.

I agree with that. I am cross-disciplinary between both, but hit my ceiling abruptly on the math and cryptography, e.g.:

https://steemit.com/steemit/@anonymint/improving-steem-s-rankings-to-cater-to-diverse-content-preferences#@complexring/re-anonymint-improving-steem-s-rankings-to-cater-to-diverse-content-preferences-20160717t234144491z
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2016, 11:47:09 PM

Charles frankly you were incorrect and the younger guy was correct that you are conflating inflation with transaction fees.

I have to agree. The coinbase debasement is a fixed cost of maintaining the network: it's like the cost of (say) buying a building and using it as a storehouse for (say) selling books online. Whether the blocks are empty of transactions, full of transactions or somewhere in between, the debasement's the same.

The variable cost of the transaction is the tx fee, just like the main variable cost in the above example is the books for the shop's inventory. In standard economics, these two classes of costs are treated as different in kind for a very good reason. For one, an economic actor has to shoulder the fixed costs or quit entirely; in contradistinction, variable costs are more easily controlled.

Sure, someone can get clever and claim that fixed costs are thinly-disguised variable costs because someone can bug out if he or she wants to. But that's a conflation similar to claiming that there's no real difference between durable consumer goods and non-durable consumer goods because both wear out. Even though houses have a finite useful life just as gasoline does, even though the useful-life quantities differ, there's still a categorical difference between getting a mortgage for a house (borrowing to acquire the house) and putting your gasoline on a credit card (borrowing to acquire the gasoline.)

Now why should transactors consider the variable cost - the tx fee - to send Bitcoin? Because all of them have to shoulder the fixed cost (the coinbase debasement) whether they transact or not. They have to shoulder it no matter what. So how can the fixed cost be relevant to their decisions on whether or not to send Bitcoin? It's only relevant - from a decision-relevant standpoint - to whether or not they cash out their Bitcoin and (prolly) go back to fiat. You can't escape debasement costs without leaving the Bitcoin economy entirely. That's why it's a fixed cost.

The question, "what do I have to do (or not do) to avoid that cost?" does help in keeping yer eye on the tree rather than on the forest. Note that the answers are different for each type of cost, which does show that they belong in different categories.   

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2016, 12:05:14 AM

Is it possible to send bitcoin without owning them? Bitcoin is a buy in system. You have to own them to use it. You don't have to own shares in your CC company to use VISA.

My point is that this cost is encumbered by the holders of bitcoin who are also the typical users of the network. It's fixed and doesn't have any parameters guiding it. There ought to be more reasonable ways to achieve decentralization than this approach especially considering that most of the common uses of bitcoin collapse the trust model to a centralized actor such as Bitpay or exchanges.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 12:11:45 AM

I'm not looking to get into a debate, but I agree with Charles on this one.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 04:53:24 AM

Is it possible to send bitcoin without owning them?

Mark Lamb's point to you is that you don't have to own them for any longer than the tiny time window to complete your transaction. Bitpay makes this time window extremely miniscule for payees.

Bitcoin is a buy in system. You have to own them to use it. You don't have to own shares in your CC company to use VISA.

I have to hold fiat for a time window to use VISA either as a payer or payee. Fiat is also debased. Bitcoin is debased. Same smell.

My point is that this cost is encumbered by the holders of bitcoin who are also the typical users of the network.

The typical users of Bitcoin are the miners and they often sell immediately. Holders of Bitcoin are invested for speculative gains. Ditto those who invest in stocks denominated in fiat. Both are debased. Even stocks are debased by new issuance.

The debasement cost is charged to the investors in Bitcoin and to the general population with fiat. But if Bitcoin becomes widely adopted, then the effect will be the same as for fiat.

But none of that is relevant to Mark's point, which is that transacting can be orthogonal to investing for those who want it to be, and thus the debasement effect is the same as for fiat w.r.t. to transaction cost.

It's fixed and doesn't have any parameters guiding it. There ought to be more reasonable ways to achieve decentralization than this approach especially considering that most of the common uses of bitcoin collapse the trust model to a centralized actor such as Bitpay or exchanges.

The cost of PoW need not be any higher than the transaction fees if the transactions usage is sufficient hashrate to secure the coin.

Agreed Satoshi's design centralizes. I claim to have a solution that remains PoW. Claim. Not yet published. You guys might be working on formalizing DPoS or other PoS variants. It's all good. Let's better the state-of-the-art.

The argument about PoS versus PoW is a complex one because for example not only does it depend on application (as you pointed out) but also attack modes may or may not be realistic. Also PoW is still under development and for now many argue that PoW is also centralized and not trustless. So I think we just have to see how it all plays out.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 05:17:03 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2016, 05:44:28 AM by iamnotback

Charles what do you think?

Edit: some others (e.g. smooth at least in past and to some extent also myself) would have argued that it was very unclear if CC/blockchains could become anything more than an experiment. However, I think I see now that it is impossible that CC/blockchains doesn't disrupt the existing systems, regardless of whether we don't attain the nirvana of perfect decentralization and trustless attributes. Because at the worst, CC/blockchains enables many more degrees-of-freedom in how to attack issues of governance, payments, finance, capital formation, etc.. It is just blowing my mind! Great time to be involved (sucks though to be ill and not be able to go full blast).
Gerolamo

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 09:30:43 AM

Charleshoskinson is Scammer.
Steal money from Japanese people.

Charles sell at incredible High price 'ADACOIN'.

CARDANO Foundation is Scam company.
charles is Main Partners.
https://cardanofoundation.org/
http://cardano.io/about.html

IOHK is Scam company.

'Attain Corporation' is Japanese Scam company.
http://attaincorp.co.jp/en/company/

Everyone Do not be fooled.

can not forgive.
You are hated by ALLJapanese!

You apologize to the people who bought ADACOIN.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 12:31:51 AM

Charleshoskinson is Scammer.
Steal money from Japanese people.

Charles sell at incredible High price 'ADACOIN'.

CARDANO Foundation is Scam company.
https://cardanofoundation.org/
http://cardano.io/about.html

IOHK is Scam company.

'Attain Corporation' is Japanese Scam company.
http://attaincorp.co.jp/en/company/

Everyone Do not be fooled.

can not forgive.
You are hated by ALLJapanese!

You apologize to the people who bought ADACOIN.

Well, that escalated quickly.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 01:04:46 AM

This is a bit more productive. The key guys is to understand that you don't have to disagree or agree with everything I say. Rather it's a discussion with various viewpoints all intersecting at points and diverging in others. This is how we make progress as a space.

As for coding, the show me the code crowd is a bit exclusive. The best minds in cryptography are often terrible programmers. Programming is a skill set like painting or writing. You're implementing ideas. The ideas have to come from somewhere.

You got some nerve though..

You put your full name in the topic title then posted nothing but a link to a video.
like come on man.. why do you expect that to mean something to us all here ?
It reeks of arrogance pal..

and your playing dumb with your "productive" comment is a joke  Roll Eyes

I still have no fucking clue why i should know who you are.
Or why you create topics like these over & over in the last while with your full name in them.

Here is a productive comment.. your idea is dumb.
No matter if you are The Legendary Infamous Mighty CHARLES HOSKINS or not.  Cheesy

FUD first & ask questions later™
fible1
Legendary

Activity: 1183

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2016, 03:10:34 AM

Charles,
   Outstanding presentation. Are you already familiar with Dash DAO at a protocol level (not the hype/FUD)? Worth a look.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
PGP Key(s): Pablo@Pablo-Lema.com: http://pastebin.com/V8Z4WxUE
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: