Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 06:05:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on doing something similar to Pokemon GO to Mine Crytp  (Read 659 times)
evok3d (OP)

Activity: 534
Merit: 250

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 03:56:15 PM

Just wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on or know of any projects that are doing this?

I know Huntercoin is one, but i dont think its in the same scale and with the GPS etc:
http://huntercoin.org/information/how-to-mine/human/

I think it would be a great concept to gamify the mining process. Coins being distributed all around the world and people going after them.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Cheers.

M E   D I   A
P  R -    ▄▄███████▄▄   
  ▄██████▀██████▄ 
 ███████   ███████
▐██████     ██████▌
██████▌     ▐██████
▐██████     ██████▌
 ▀██████▄ ▄██████▀
   ▀███████████▀  
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     
- T  O  C - O - L
MEDIA Protocol in Action
              ▄▄██████▄▄
            ▄████████████▄
           █████▌ ▀▀███████
   ▄████▄▄██████     ▀█████▌
 ▄███▀ ▀████████      ▐█████
▐███▌   ▐████████      ████▌
▐███    ██████████▄▄  ▐████
 ▀███▄▄████▀▀████████████▀
   ▀▀███▀▀     ▀▀████▀▀
   ▄▄▄████████████████▄▄▄    
 ████████████████████████▄  
▐███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌ 
████████████▀▀▀        █████ 
█████████▀             █████ 
███████              ▐█████ 
█████▀               ██████ 
███▌              ▄██████ 
█████             ▄█████████ 
████▌          ▄▄██████████ 
▐████▄▄▄▄██████████████████▌ 
 ▀███████████████████████▀  
   ▀▀███████████████████▀    
clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 04:04:30 PM

As a level 16 Ingress player and a PokemonGo player im not sure if your aware of the level of cheating (GPS spoofing especially) in game.  Thats with no tangible reward for doing it.  Imagine there is now a tangible reward.....
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 05:29:57 PM

Dude..
you know what mining is? how would your idea move the blockchain??? confirm transactions and etc.

might be good idea to a faucet/game with bitcoin/altcoins reward, but definitely wouldnt take PoW/PoS place.
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2016, 06:26:04 PM

Just wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on or know of any projects that are doing this?

I know Huntercoin is one, but i dont think its in the same scale and with the GPS etc:
http://huntercoin.org/information/how-to-mine/human/

I think it would be a great concept to gamify the mining process. Coins being distributed all around the world and people going after them.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Cheers.

Yes, cool idea! Not the first time I heard it, though. The obvious problem is using exploits. It's very easy to trick the GPS to "move" super quickly accros terrain to "mine". You'd need additional, rock solid proof that the distance was actually covered.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
mkc

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 06:38:24 AM

So far I am spending a lot of time in Pokemon GO, I know they are quite aggressively cracking down the GPS cheaters, at least, Hatching eggs also takes speed into account. They will ban your account if detected cheating.
However, blockchain is needed and can not be combined with location based concepts. Is it?
You can build some interesting faucet, for example, you can hide some coins in some places and encourage people to walk there. If you can convinced Macys or Mall to pay you some fund, then redistribute majority of the fund to end users...
Caladonian

Activity: 1302
Merit: 540

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 06:45:49 AM

So far I am spending a lot of time in Pokemon GO, I know they are quite aggressively cracking down the GPS cheaters, at least, Hatching eggs also takes speed into account. They will ban your account if detected cheating.
However, blockchain is needed and can not be combined with location based concepts. Is it?
You can build some interesting faucet, for example, you can hide some coins in some places and encourage people to walk there. If you can convinced Macys or Mall to pay you some fund, then redistribute majority of the fund to end users...

yes the concept for faucets might be a good idea to ride with this game popularity and if you got lucky donation will flow if many users enjoyed with your faucets i think this is the only ways that you can do not into block chain as mention of those who really understand the concepts.
wtman
Legendary

Activity: 1030
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:23:18 AM

Have you heard of Geocoin? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=923995.0

The main difference I think is that Geocoins are not as cool as Pokemons. You don't think wow Geocoin!!!! like you do to wow Pokemon!!!!!!!
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 1208

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 05:29:15 PM

The main difference I think is that Geocoins are not as cool as Pokemons. You don't think wow Geocoin!!!! like you do to wow Pokemon!!!!!!!

Geocoin is such a unique project but the dev has been absent for a long time and I read that the community is planning a cointake over really works like pokemon go maybe pokemongo was copied from this project..

GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 06:55:37 PM

Apparently, you would inherit some of the flaws in the model, such as people walking out into traffic, off small cliffs, and into the waiting arms of muggers. Maybe make it more like a pedometer and less like an interactive game. Go is entirely too interactive.
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:34:10 PM

Apparently, you would inherit some of the flaws in the model, such as people walking out into traffic, off small cliffs, and into the waiting arms of muggers. Maybe make it more like a pedometer and less like an interactive game. Go is entirely too interactive.

That is like inventing a new sport and blaming the inventor when players hurt themselves. It is not the devs job to prevent people from being stupid.

On the tracking thing: The idea of using GPS is obviously flawed, but there are other means to track somebody. The iPod touch uses open Wifis to determine its position. If you know where a wifi spot is and you can measure the strength of the connection, you can triangulate your position once you find at least two of those spots. The simplest idea would obviously be to use this. Another idea would be to create dedicated spots similar to nodes. To incentivise people to place those spots, you could share the earnings of players with them, when somebody accesses their spot. to prevent them from playing themselves on their own node the whole time, you could create tasks that need to be fulfilled. Those tasks would require players to visit nodes that are far away from each other, so they have to travel there.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 12:49:57 AM

That is like inventing a new sport and blaming the inventor when players hurt themselves. It is not the devs job to prevent people from being stupid.

On the tracking thing: The idea of using GPS is obviously flawed, but there are other means to track somebody. The iPod touch uses open Wifis to determine its position. If you know where a wifi spot is and you can measure the strength of the connection, you can triangulate your position once you find at least two of those spots. The simplest idea would obviously be to use this. Another idea would be to create dedicated spots similar to nodes. To incentivise people to place those spots, you could share the earnings of players with them, when somebody accesses their spot. to prevent them from playing themselves on their own node the whole time, you could create tasks that need to be fulfilled. Those tasks would require players to visit nodes that are far away from each other, so they have to travel there.

American football. Those guys have been knocking the dog shit out of themselves since the inception of televised sport, and the NFL is taking the heat. In my opinion, it's the fault of both parties. My safety supersedes the sport, and the sport should understand that there are fools, and you have to look out for them. This is why rules evolve in sports, like spearhead tackles being illegal.

But agree with the feature suggestions. Like the tasks, I was trying to figure out a way to make the player activities actual useful and non spoofable.
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 01:00:31 AM

Geo caching is a really cool activity for the family, my wife does it on the grounds of the school she teaches at and various parks in our area for her students. If someone could implement dynamic block rewards based of difficulty to arrive at that location it would be a really great idea (i.e. Antarctica or Gary, Indiana).

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 08:37:41 AM

(snip)

But agree with the feature suggestions. Like the tasks, I was trying to figure out a way to make the player activities actual useful and non spoofable.

It's been said about ingress, that it was mainly invented to collect the tracking data, to improve the routing system of google maps, i.e. how do you get from A to B the fastest. We all know, that the shortest way is not necessarily the fastest, so it's not as trivial as it may seem. This could be a useful task. Maybe openstreetmap would be interested?
Additionally, I had to think of Aram Bartholls Dead drops:
http://deaddrops.com/
Maybe you could implement something similar?
clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 01:45:47 PM

Geocoin is such a unique project but the dev has been absent for a long time and I read that the community is planning a cointake over really works like pokemon go maybe pokemongo was copied from this project..

No i assure you PokemonGos locations were pulled directly from Ingress which were mostly user submitted
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: