Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:13:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-03-19 Economist.com Daily Chart: A Bit Expensive  (Read 1524 times)
bitfair (OP)

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:58:32 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2013, 03:52:20 PM by bitfair

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/03/daily-chart-12
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:09:40 PM

Fail article.

I wonder why The Economist hate bitcoin so much  Roll Eyes

gilgil

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:32:56 PM

They love bitcoin, they just want to buy it cheaper Wink

Bitrated user: gil.
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:42:56 PM

They love bitcoin, they just want to buy it cheaper Wink

LOL!  Grin

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:44:11 PM

Stupidest bitcoin article by The Economist thus far.

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:45:17 PM

Wrong date: 2013-03-19

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
bitfair (OP)

Activity: 362

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:27:43 PM

Wrong date: 2013-03-19

Thanks - just a slip of the finger. Fixed it.
tjohej

Activity: 378

Magic Staff

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:11:03 PM

It must be difficult to write a quality article about Bitcoin without detailed understanding of it.
As more coins are generated, these problems get ever more complex
No they don't. The same code is used, but the difficulty increases, it gets harder to find a fitting checksum that is sought for a number of leading zero numbers in a hash. These are necessary technical details to avoid people writing articles which may be strongly misleading.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:08:10 AM

It must be difficult to write a quality article about Bitcoin without detailed understanding of it.
No they don't. The same code is used, but the difficulty increases, it gets harder to find a fitting checksum that is sought for a number of leading zero numbers in a hash. These are necessary technical details to avoid people writing articles which may be strongly misleading.

Nope!  Do more research & try again!  Hint: the difficulty changes to create a constant average block creation rate as more (or less) transaction processing capacity (aka mining) comes online.

beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:27:36 AM

+1

When I first heard about the "problems" that get more complex, I thought that it was several different equations, one more complex than the other. It was a bit odd.

Later, way later, I discovered that it is just one problem, that gets bigger or smaller, taking more or less time to solve (more or less zeroes at the beginning of the result).

Brute elegance.

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 02:43:00 PM

The minor error aside, it might not be wise to label the article as "fail" and move on.

The Economist has a brutal track record of writing correct predictions. I don't know of anything in the media that matches it. Of course they're wrong at times, everyone is -- but that's no good reason to ignore them.

There is no reason to call the article wrong anyway -- it certainly looks like a bubble, which is all they're saying. A little caution should be good advice here.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 04:23:06 PM

Tom Standage, technology editor of The Economist, has actually watched the talk I gave at the 2012 conference (the one on contracts). That's about a million percent more research than most journalists do.

That said, not all of TE's coverage of Bitcoin comes from his team. But I second Vandroiy. I am a regular reader of TE because whenever they write about things I understand, they usually nail it. It's always worth paying attention to what is written there.
Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 04:34:22 PM

You DON'T think it looks like a bubble?

When I saw the price, I dusted off my loose change and liquidated it. Good luck to you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: