Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:47:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is stealing Bitcoin illegal?  (Read 39470 times)
Noctis Connor

Activity: 1008
Merit: 540

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 01:10:52 PM

I dont think you can get caucht by stealing bitcoins do you know why because bitcoins are not from you they are from everyone who has bitcoins because they are not on your name.

If you use the stolen bitcoin and people can link the spending with you, then you will be caught. It is better to mix it.
Its much more better if you will back than stolen bitcoin from the people who you stole because spending that bitcoin without any permission of the owner is a sin and if they caught you maybe the trust that you both build will be destroy it is much better if you don't do it for the sake of friendship Tongue
secdark

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 01:13:25 PM

Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.

stealing is stealing

no matter what

you need to work hard and harder to reap what you want to earn. don't make any cheating, because cheater never wins

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY     
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.       
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.   
|    The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency   
  WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.   
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄████▄▄   
█▄          ██████████▀
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 01:41:03 PM

Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.

stealing is stealing

no matter what

you need to work hard and harder to reap what you want to earn. don't make any cheating, because cheater never wins

It is really wrong to take what is not yours in the law of GOD everything that you take that is not yours is wrong in the eyes of our lord but in the nature of human beings this is just a mere coincidence of finders keepers act! that means if a person would see something then take it and nobody is claiming it then it is not wrong to them, but in the bible if you take something that is not yours then there is a guilt in your heart you will need to give a guilt offering to the Lord!
severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 03:28:49 PM

stealing is stealing

no matter what

Exactly: stealing is stealing.
At least in my country. I think it somehow depends on the definition that's written in the law, so I can only say what is the fact in my country.
And here the law says that if you take something from somebody against his will away in order to keep it, it's thef and therefore illegal.
No matter if the other person had the right to have the thing or not.
So no matter if bitcoins are declared to be illegal or not, stealing them still is illegal.
gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 03:41:01 PM

I think it is legal. because it was not deliberate. that is the weakness of bitcoin. it is hard to see who the sender bitcoin.
agustina2
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 03:56:38 PM

that is to say in the case of OP, I think there is no act of stealing, though he got it because of a bug, and it certainly was not intentional. I think it was lucky he got bitcoin for free. because in this case, we will hardly find its owner.

just left the bitcoin there, create another key and that's it, you don't need to find the owner to say anything... that's it.
or well, YOLO, spend all and gg.

Since it was there without OP doing something fishy, OP has the possession of the coins now and coins can be used on whatever things OP wants.

But anyways like OP said, that kind of scenario really has low odds to happened.
Chennai

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 03:20:43 PM

I think it is legal. because it was not deliberate. that is the weakness of bitcoin. it is hard to see who the sender bitcoin.

Stealing is not legal but in the case of op that he just receive the bitcoins by accident then that is going to be legal and it is the senders negligence that he had sent it to op's address by mistake. But if you intend to steal someones bitcoin with bad intention then that is going to be an illegal act and if there is a law about cyber crime maybe you can be charged.
Stealing is an illegal act yes. One works hard and earns the bitcoins, but the other takes away from him/her by any source available, either physically or online. Really unbearable dude. This is not a good act. Stealing of anything is illegal. It can be any currency or any valued item. Lets not encourage this using any source. 
Rude Boy

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 04:13:13 PM

Everyone knows, steeling is an illegal act. In this case, you're not stealing others bitcoin by using some illegal activity like hacking. Its just a flaw in bitcoin, still maths overrides this flaw.
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 04:25:12 PM

Not at all. You are just co-owner of the private key of that address and hence also co-owner of the funds sitting in that address.

MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 04:27:17 PM

Not at all. You are just co-owner of the private key of that address and hence also co-owner of the funds sitting in that address.
Under the right circumstances, yes, you are a co-owner, however the chances of that happening are incredibly low and I would be surprised if anyone just "happened" to generate a private key owned by someone else.

Brute-forcing private keys until you unlock something is stealing.
krishna1

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 04:45:38 PM

well logically it is not illigal but if you tried any hacking method then i think it is illegal anyway my knowledge says if you have any private key of any bitcoin address then legally you are the owner of the balance inside it its just like a physical paper note which also has same type of thing written on it

doomistake

Activity: 1400
Merit: 571

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 05:07:09 PM

The answer is very obvious since you used the term "stealing". Of course it is illegal because it is stealing. It is against the God's rule if you're aware of it. Stealing somethings that is not yours is illegal because why would you steal it if is not's yours in the first place?, I mean don't you think that he might be disappointed or mad if you would just going to steal somebody's property? what if this "stealing" is to be done to you? What would you feel? Would you think that's it's normal because it is legal? Of course not, right?.
croutonhexagon

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 05:22:12 PM

Off-course it's illegal to steal something from someone and so the same follows in bitcoin also as it is a digital money and stealing any asset is a crime so it's same with bitcoin also. It is digital money and it is not printed but it doesn't mean that you could steal it. Each party of bitcoin is a asset of any particular owner.
satdas

Activity: 281

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 06:08:55 PM

Off-course it's illegal to steal something from someone and so the same follows in bitcoin also as it is a digital money and stealing any asset is a crime so it's same with bitcoin also. It is digital money and it is not printed but it doesn't mean that you could steal it. Each party of bitcoin is a asset of any particular owner.
yes i also agree with you that stealing of every thing is illegal, it is also morally not good to steal the bitcoin of some one, as we can see that some people say that as bitcoin is not a legal currency therefore the stealing of it is legal. but to me i think it is morally illegal to steal the property of some one .
DrGuns4Hands

Activity: 910
Merit: 550

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 09:37:09 PM

well i wouldnt really consider it stealing, because you created your own address and someone just happened to use it before you. its a fault in the bitcoin system, not considered stealing imo.

my thoughts too , and its hard to locate and know where it came from or who is the real owner of btc.

No, it is still stealing. The question is not who is the owner of the address, but who is the owner of the BTC. As many, many people have already said, the BTC was put into that address  by someone and that person is the owner until they decide to transfer the funds to someone else either by sending them on or transferring ownership of the address containing them.

All of you crooks who think otherwise, the same thing could be said of a house, car etc. If I go to the locksmith and have him make some random keys, and I try them on some random cars and houses and one of them matches (which has a lot better odds than the bitcoin example btw), does that make me the owner of said car/house? No, of course not. You may own the key but not to the contents or object it unlocks.

Yes i know , stealing is stealing always .. But the ts "I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already" ..
 So did he / she steal it? the answer NO . but the second question , "Is it legal to just take it?  NO .
  in car/house you might know who is the real owner , if your not into the crime of course you will not do any harm action , while in bitcoin are you going to stare that btc address? and might wondering how ? how could i ? where ? it's hard if the thing is in Bitcoin.

But if the ts ask what if someone i know wrong send the btc to my address , and i didn't gave it back that's 100% Stealing !
croutonhexagon

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 04:19:07 PM

Obviously stealing a single piece of needle is also crime you know, and bitcoin is not any useless or it is not only meant for poor people. Bitcoin is a digital money and it's a digital asset so you have no right to steal  bitcoin.

But luckily if you get bitcoin by mistake from other then you can take it. But if you are really honest please return back to the same address.
StoreBit

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 06:55:30 PM

well i wouldnt really consider it stealing, because you created your own address and someone just happened to use it before you. its a fault in the bitcoin system, not considered stealing imo.

my thoughts too , and its hard to locate and know where it came from or who is the real owner of btc.
but if you know a person who is using bitcoin and know that he has wallet and try to get his wallet key and they steel his bitcoin from his wallet then you can really doing a wrong thing, because stealing of everything is illegal.
lol3c

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 07:05:54 PM

Personally, i think it is illegal to steal someone's bitcoin. As you see, bitcoins are private property which are bought by Fiat money or mining. Therefore, you can not  arbitrarily take away somebody's bitcoin because it is totally wrong
drwtsn32

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 06:22:24 AM

Obviously stealing a single piece of needle is also crime you know, and bitcoin is not any useless or it is not only meant for poor people. Bitcoin is a digital money and it's a digital asset so you have no right to steal  bitcoin.

But luckily if you get bitcoin by mistake from other then you can take it. But if you are really honest please return back to the same address.

It is not a crime as well if you did not want to return the money back because bitcoin has one-way transaction.
There is no law that you are breaking with that.
Newcoins2020

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 07:29:22 AM

Yeah of course stealing Bitcoin is illegal but the thing is that there is really nothing that you can do when someone stole your Bitcoin from you.
Because people can get away with it easy nothing is really done about it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  

Jump to: