Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:18:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: UN Gun control.... GO!  (Read 3598 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 05:42:47 AM

I'll refer you to this, since you can't do it yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Oh, I'm quite aware of that, thank you. Your point?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:58:17 AM

I'll refer you to this, since you can't do it yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Oh, I'm quite aware of that, thank you. Your point?

That you're a misleading, fact ignoring, circular argument pushing, meme quoting, blind follower of things which aren't really very wonderful.

And more specifically, the point is to demonstrate that your anecdotal stories (this one in particular) tries to paint Japan as a place where the incarceration rate must be high due to judicial tactics.

Answer this, halfwit: If Japan is incarcerating the wrong people, and incarcerating so few, then why is their crime rate so low? And where are all the Japanese murders taking place in the absence of guns that you're so inclined to publicize (i.e by cars, trucks, trains and buses, knives, spoons and bottle caps, etc.)?

May I refer you to this chart as well? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 06:03:54 AM

Answer this, halfwit: If Japan is incarcerating the wrong people, and incarcerating so few, then why is their crime rate so low? And where are all the Japanese murders taking place in the absence of guns that you're so inclined to publicize (i.e by cars, trucks, trains and buses, knives, spoons and bottle caps, etc.)?

You must have read a different story than I. I got no implication that they were incarcerating the wrong people. In fact, the implication that I got from that was that they catch everybody. Unfortunately, they have to have a very invasive and coercive police force to do so, but, well, if you want to live in a society completely free of crime, you must occasionally submit to a cavity search.

I'll leave you with one of the founder's thoughts on that:

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.”

- Thomas Jefferson

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:11:06 AM

You must have read a different story than I. I got no implication that they were incarcerating the wrong people. In fact, the implication that I got from that was that they catch everybody. Unfortunately, they have to have a very invasive and coercive police force to do so, but, well, if you want to live in a society completely free of crime, you must occasionally submit to a cavity search.

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.”

- Thomas Jefferson

So you admit then:

- Japan has a very low crime rate
- Japan has virtually no guns
- Japanese citizens don't over compensate and do lots of killings in other ways due to not having guns
- Japan has a very low incarceration rate
- Japan must be incarcerating the right people, despite the low incarceration rates, because there don't seem to be many criminals out there committing crimes

Japanese homicide rate: 0.4
United States homicide rate: 4.8

Japanese incarceration rate: 55
United States incarceration rate: 716

Japanese guns per capita: 0.6
United States guns per capita: 88.8
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 06:16:40 AM

- Thomas Jefferson

So you admit then:

- Japanese citizens don't over compensate and do lots of killings in other ways due to not having guns
- Japan must be incarcerating the right people, despite the low incarceration rates, because there don't seem to be many criminals out there committing crimes

Your point?

It's not the gun ban, you know. It's the people. Society.

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:24:41 AM

- Thomas Jefferson

So you admit then:

Your point?

It's not the gun ban, you know. It's the people. Society.

Oh, of course it isn't the gun ban! How could it be - that would be disruptive to your ideals.

Think again, you coward. And you are a coward, because it's you always justifying your gun fetishes because of your stated fears of muggers lurking in every shadow as you walk down the street. Maybe you're a coward for good reason.

And yet in Japan you can walk safely down the streets in the middle of the night. Why? Because who wants to get searched and then hauled off to the police station? Nobody. The solution? Don't break the fucking law. The result: Complete safety at all hours of the night. No muggers in shadows. No gun wielding freaks.

True freedom (and don't forget this, as this may be the first time you've ever learned it) is where you are safe and never have to think about encumbering yourself with the tools of murder. Japan has that. You obviously don't, as you cry everyday and night in these forums about how you're robbed of your freedoms, and fear every boy and man in a shadow behind your house and lurking in every shadow on the streets.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 06:32:13 AM

True freedom (and don't forget this, as this may be the first time you've ever learned it) is where you are safe and never have to think about encumbering yourself with the tools of murder. Japan has that. You obviously don't, as you cry everyday and night in these forums about how you're robbed of your freedoms, and fear every boy and man in a shadow behind your house and lurking in every shadow on the streets.

Tsk... I would hardly call having a policeman come into my house and count my bullets because I have a hunting permit "freedom." Guns are not the "tools of murder," they are tools of liberation.

Perhaps we have different definitions of freedom. Tell you what, you don't try and force yours on me, and I won't try and force mine on you, deal?

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:39:05 AM

Tsk... I would hardly call having a policeman come into my house and count my bullets because I have a hunting permit "freedom." Guns are not the "tools of murder," they are tools of liberation.

Perhaps we have different definitions of freedom. Tell you what, you don't try and force yours on me, and I won't try and force mine on you, deal?

Let's also remind you about your rewrite of history. Japan had a very violent society and culture. Just because it's convenient for you to point out that they don't now doesn't make your point valid. All it points out is they have done something right.

As for me pushing my ideals of freedom on you - I think you are in need of some ideals of freedom pushed on you. Have you ever considered this simple little concept: if you can't solve gun murders with 300 million guns, what makes you think you're going to solve it with one billion guns?

I'm not a coward like you, fearing muggers and robbers and killers in every shadow, but I understand that they can be there. But seriously, what kind of deluded fucked up person gets off on the idea of desiring a society where you must walk around with a gun on your person all the time? Compensating, are you?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 06:41:21 AM

As for me pushing my ideals of freedom on you - I think you are in need of some ideals of freedom pushed on you.

And that's where we disagree. Have a nice life.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 07:22:29 AM

I do wonder, though, what motivated the Japanese designer of this dress:

Oh, yeah. Fear of crime. Silly me.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/world/asia/20japan.html

And I'm the coward, supposedly because I don't fear guns in the hands of civilians. Roll Eyes

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:29:43 PM

As the article stated, the designs are to satisfy the quirky and inventive taste of the Japanese. This is more fact ignoring on your part. As for you being a coward, need you compare yourself to a Japanese woman to demonstrate that you are not? Seems so.

I'm sorry, but exploring fashion trends is not a valid way to redeem yourself. Try some facts instead: http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=816
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 05:34:34 PM

Why is it that politics are all that is needed for me to find out who the stupid ones are?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 05:42:48 PM

As the article stated, the designs are to satisfy the quirky and inventive taste of the Japanese.

Article title:
Fearing Crime, Japanese Wear the Hiding Place

Caption of the above picture:
Though street crime is relatively low in Japan, quirky camouflage designs like this vending-machine dress are being offered to an increasingly anxious public to hide from would-be assailants.

From the article:
These elaborate defenses are coming at a time when crime rates are actually declining in Japan. But the Japanese, sensitive to the slightest signs of social fraying, say they feel growing anxiety about safety, fanned by sensationalist news media.

While Americans want to protect themselves from criminals, or even strike back, the creators say many Japanese favor camouflage and deception, reflecting a culture that abhors self-assertion, even in self-defense.

It is just easier for Japanese to hide,” Ms. Tsukioka said. “Making a scene would be too embarrassing.” She said her vending machine disguise was inspired by a trick used by the ancient ninja, who cloaked themselves in black blankets at night.
(all emphasis mine)

This must be the passage you were referring to:
However, the fact that they were greeted here with straight faces, or even appeared at all, underscores another, less appreciated facet of Japanese society: its fondness for oddball ideas and inventions.

Some other "oddball inventions" with this sort of purpose in mind:
A pair of women’s sunglasses has wraparound lenses so dark no one can see where the wearer is looking. These are intended to scare off sexual harassers on Tokyo’s crowded trains, where the groping of women is a constant problem.

For children, she has a backpack that transforms into a Japanese-style fire hydrant, hiding the child. The “manhole bag” was also her idea.

Gotta love how you can read an entire article, and only come away with the one sentence that supports your preconceptions. Amazing blinder-fu.

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:45:37 PM

Why is it that politics are all that is needed for me to find out who the stupid ones are?

I don't think you've found out who the stupid ones are. Witness your own non content bearing posts here.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:47:18 PM

As the article stated, the designs are to satisfy the quirky and inventive taste of the Japanese.

Article title:

Though street crime is relatively low in Japan, quirky camouflage designs like this vending-machine dress are being offered to an increasingly anxious public to hide from would-be assailants.

From the article:
These elaborate defenses are coming at a time when crime rates are actually declining in Japan. But the Japanese, sensitive to the slightest signs of social fraying, say they feel growing anxiety about safety, fanned by sensationalist news media.

While Americans want to protect themselves from criminals, or even strike back, the creators say many Japanese favor camouflage and deception, reflecting a culture that abhors self-assertion, even in self-defense.

It is just easier for Japanese to hide,” Ms. Tsukioka said. “Making a scene would be too embarrassing.” She said her vending machine disguise was inspired by a trick used by the ancient ninja, who cloaked themselves in black blankets at night.
(all emphasis mine)

However, the fact that they were greeted here with straight faces, or even appeared at all, underscores another, less appreciated facet of Japanese society: its fondness for oddball ideas and inventions.

A pair of women’s sunglasses has wraparound lenses so dark no one can see where the wearer is looking. These are intended to scare off sexual harassers on Tokyo’s crowded trains, where the groping of women is a constant problem.

For children, she has a backpack that transforms into a Japanese-style fire hydrant, hiding the child. The “manhole bag” was also her idea.

Gotta love how you can read an entire article, and only come away with the one sentence that supports your preconceptions. Amazing blinder-fu.

Thank you immensely for all those quotes. Every fuckin' one of them supports my point.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 05:52:12 PM

Article title:

From the article:

(all emphasis mine)

Thank you immensely for all those quotes. Every fuckin' one of them supports my point.

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:04:50 PM

Article title:

From the article:

(all emphasis mine)

Since you don't get it, go back and read the facts presented to you over the last 20 posts or so. Open your eyes and stop trying to paint opinions and use vague words to try and bolster your losing position.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:12:19 PM

Since you don't get it, go back and read the facts presented to you over the last 20 posts or so. Open your eyes and stop trying to paint opinions and use vague words to try and bolster your losing position.

Which position is that? That despite extremely low crime rates, the Japanese live in fear, while despite high crime rates, I do not?

Doesn't seem like a losing one to me.

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:22:33 PM

Which position is that? That despite extremely low crime rates, the Japanese live in fear, while despite high crime rates, I do not?

Consider this. I don't live in fear and I don't have a gun, carry a gun, or want a gun. I live in the United States where the murder rate is 10 times that of Japan, and the incarceration rate is 15 times that of Japan.

You, on the other hand, are such a coward, that you would like to try and paint a picture where not only would the average person need to have a gun here in the U.S., but in Japan as well.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:40:03 PM

Consider this. I don't live in fear and I don't have a gun, carry a gun, or want a gun. I live in the United States where the murder rate is 10 times that of Japan, and the incarceration rate is 15 times that of Japan.

You, on the other hand, are such a coward, that you would like to try and paint a picture where not only would the average person need to have a gun here in the U.S., but in Japan as well.

On the contrary, I am not afraid of the average person having that gun, whereas you are. I see no need to fear a gun in the hands of a law-abiding person, yet you would like to take it away from them. That, to me, smacks of fear. Fairly reeks of it, in fact.

Methinks all this calling me a coward is you projecting.

You still have not answered me, by the way, on whether or not you would post this sign outside your home:

If so, I'd love to see a pic of the front of your house with that posted. Show us how truly free of fear you are. If you would not, why not?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: