Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:17:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S7 power problem  (Read 2141 times)
chudm (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 09:37:56 PM

Hi guys, i need some advice from you!

I have been mining with several s7 since the end of last year, but yesterday i got a big problem, i got a problem with a pipe leakage  Sad Sad and like 3 s7 were spray with some water, some of the miners are working as normal, but 3 are dead, they dont even power up, some power supply doesnt work at all too

Ive been reading and it seems the problem maybe on the bb or the io board

https://shop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020160105102242316JqapyMif0705

https://shop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201601120933252220cfbfFq20693

What do you recomend me to do? thanks for any advice

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:08:59 PM

Possible problems for Antminer-Troubleshooting

https://enforum.bitmain.com/bbs/topics/3516
cloudnthings

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:18:47 PM

I would recommend isolating what the exact problem is. If the PSU doesn't work, then you need a new one. That part is simple. You say some miners are working. Why not take the BB board from the miner that doesn't work and put it into the one that does. That will tell you if the BB board is faulty or not. Continue this process with the other components. Once you know what components are not working, you can then order those parts and hopefully get it back up and running.

Good luck.
chudm (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:22:11 PM

Thanks will do that!
chudm (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 11:57:36 PM

I would recommend isolating what the exact problem is. If the PSU doesn't work, then you need a new one. That part is simple. You say some miners are working. Why not take the BB board from the miner that doesn't work and put it into the one that does. That will tell you if the BB board is faulty or not. Continue this process with the other components. Once you know what components are not working, you can then order those parts and hopefully get it back up and running.

Good luck.

Well it seems i need to replace the bb and the io board on the 3 s7, now i need to check why the psu doesnt power on, thanks!
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 12:03:36 AM

It is unusual that water would cause problems to the electronic equipment (it usually doesn't)!

Look to replace the part of the S7 that you feel had the most damage from the water (if the BB boards are enclosed in the unit, then it was probably the control computer)!

Unless this was a liquid cooler then I'd ask why you had it close to the electronic equipment anyway?

(also, if you have another S7 then test out the BB board and control computer on them to see if they work or not)!

Good luck.

Well it seems i need to replace the bb and the io board on the 3 s7, now i need to check why the psu doesnt power on, thanks!

If the board is faulty, good PSUs will not power up!
They need a live, and neutral connector, if the circuit is broken between the plug and the plug (going around the circuit) then that will be why te PSU is not working (most likely)!
chudm (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 12:08:31 AM

It is unusual that water would cause problems to the electronic equipment (it usually doesn't)!

Look to replace the part of the S7 that you feel had the most damage from the water (if the BB boards are enclosed in the unit, then it was probably the control computer)!

Unless this was a liquid cooler then I'd ask why you had it close to the electronic equipment anyway?

(also, if you have another S7 then test out the BB board and control computer on them to see if they work or not)!

Yep, the bb board was enclosed in the unit, ill follow you advise, and will test the io board and the bb board, i tested the whole system (bb board and the io board), ill do that right away

What do you suggest about the power supply? It doesnt start
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 01:50:46 AM

Yep, the bb board was enclosed in the unit, ill follow you advise, and will test the io board and the bb board, i tested the whole system (bb board and the io board), ill do that right away

It is honestly hard to say as water was introduced to the miner and PSU it sounds like from above store.  Even condensation could be bad overtime, really bad and will kill miners.   

Just to have water go through your S7 and PSU's it's hard to say what all is wrong.   Electricity and water never mix, so adding a S7 in the mix is horrible on the unit.   It would not surprise me if it is something you have to send in to see if they can be fixed.  And with the water I'm not sure I would be to positive they  might be gone.

Only thing for sure we can tell you is from now on NEVER mine where water can be an issue.
chudm (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 01:57:33 AM

It is honestly hard to say as water was introduced to the miner and PSU it sounds like from above store.  Even condensation could be bad overtime, really bad and will kill miners.   

Just to have water go through your S7 and PSU's it's hard to say what all is wrong.   Electricity and water never mix, so adding a S7 in the mix is horrible on the unit.   It would not surprise me if it is something you have to send in to see if they can be fixed.  And with the water I'm not sure I would be to positive they  might be gone.

Only thing for sure we can tell you is from now on NEVER mine where water can be an issue.

Yep i know that, the problem was with a leakage from the neighbors, the water leak was from them, it seems i swaped the bb boards and io boards and the miners started just fine, but i got 3 psu not starting Sad i thought about a bad fuse, but couldnt see one, thanks
cloudnthings

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 02:13:19 AM

Yep i know that, the problem was with a leakage from the neighbors, the water leak was from them, it seems i swaped the bb boards and io boards and the miners started just fine, but i got 3 psu not starting Sad i thought about a bad fuse, but couldnt see one, thanks

PSU's should have a fuse in them. Sounds like you've opened it up already. PSUs look deceptively simple hardware wise but troubleshooting them can be a pain in the behind. I've never fixed a PSU apart from replacing a fuse and those that I've talked to recommend replacing it. The advantage, if you still want to fix it yourself, is that the soldering/unsoldering is much easier than the microelectronics components on the mining boards itself so is completely doable. Hopefully someone else on the forums will have the right expertise.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:14:14 PM

PSU's should have a fuse in them. Sounds like you've opened it up already. PSUs look deceptively simple hardware wise but troubleshooting them can be a pain in the behind. I've never fixed a PSU apart from replacing a fuse and those that I've talked to recommend replacing it. The advantage, if you still want to fix it yourself, is that the soldering/unsoldering is much easier than the microelectronics components on the mining boards itself so is completely doable. Hopefully someone else on the forums will have the right expertise.

Correct, this would be my answer that the PSU has had a fuse blown
However, the "blown" fuse, I'd use lightly as it is probably a resettable fuse such as a relay which can easily be switched back on. These will switch back on when energy starts to flow through the entire unit and it is returned back o the PSU and plug socket.
I'd again suggest that this is tested with another miner, if it doesn't work with the other miner, throw it away (unless you know what you are doing) as you could risk your safety trying to fix that or even cause a power serge i the S7s are in a close area (a 1300-2000W spark may shift from the miner to another miner and cause great damage to both if one of the wires in the PSU are exposed - or the spark could hit you or a flamable item in your "farm")!
cloudnthings

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:19:10 PM

However, the "blown" fuse, I'd use lightly as it is probably a resettable fuse such as a relay which can easily be switched back on. These will switch back on when energy starts to flow through the entire unit and it is returned back o the PSU and plug socket.
I'd again suggest that this is tested with another miner, if it doesn't work with the other miner, throw it away (unless you know what you are doing) as you could risk your safety trying to fix that or even cause a power serge i the S7s are in a close area (a 1300-2000W spark may shift from the miner to another miner and cause great damage to both if one of the wires in the PSU are exposed - or the spark could hit you or a flamable item in your "farm")!

Interesting. Do the newer PSUs have this resettable fuse? Neat. I don't make it a habit of opening them up so haven't seen one Smiley. The one I did open up had the old style fuse. I opened it up coz I didn't know I had to wire the Earth together to make it actually turn on in the first place. Good old rookie mistake there.
chudm (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:23:50 PM

Some psu wont start, and some miners wont start either, today i swaped some of the bb boards and io board, and now some of the s7 are running fine, but i got 2 that wont start at all
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:29:38 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2016, 09:49:26 PM by jackg

It is honestly hard to say as water was introduced to the miner and PSU it sounds like from above store.  Even condensation could be bad overtime, really bad and will kill miners.    

Just to have water go through your S7 and PSU's it's hard to say what all is wrong.   Electricity and water never mix, so adding a S7 in the mix is horrible on the unit.   It would not surprise me if it is something you have to send in to see if they can be fixed.  And with the water I'm not sure I would be to positive they  might be gone.

Some psu wont start, and some miners wont start either, today i swaped some of the bb boards and io board, and now some of the s7 are running fine, but i got 2 that wont start at all

Get two miners that are working and put the psu on the miners that aren't working into them first.
Then try changing some of the parts between them (try changing the control computers first.
In fact, grab one of your miners and two signal cables and connect all three to the control computer in order to test that (afaik the control computer is the io board).
Each control computer can take up to 3 S7s in it as far as I emember (that will also increase efficiency)!

@sidehack - it depends where he is locationwise as to if it is cheaper to use you or not as a seller as there are some located in the EU/asia and other places that may be closer. Thoug, if he is in the USA or Caada then you are probably the best option!
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 09:31:36 PM

Make sure in your piecewise testing that you isolate whether it's the IO board or the BBB itself, since the two are separate boards that socket together. If the BBB crapped out, I can hook you up with a replacement for pretty cheap. I don't have any spare IO boards though.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
chudm (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 12:05:05 AM

Ok guys, all miners seems to be working Smiley , 9 miners, only 2 seems to be having problems with 1 hashboard, and only 1 of those 2 have a big problem with 1 hashboard, you can check the image!

4 Psu wont start, but seems to be fixable, and one psu start but it seems it wont give any voltage on the pcie cables

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll210/chudm/IMG-20160718-WA0043_zps0eswbpnz.jpg

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 12:23:55 AM

Ok guys, all miners seems to be working Smiley , 9 miners, only 2 seems to be having problems with 1 hashboard, and only 1 of those 2 have a big problem with 1 hashboard, you can check the image!

4 Psu wont start, but seems to be fixable, and one psu start but it seems it wont give any voltage on the pcie cables

That board definitely looks broken, I'd probably ask someone like sidehack who speciallise in asic equipment for suggestions.
You coud always purchase another BB board.
Also, if the PSUs are unfixable or hard to fix, you'll have to purchase new ones though you can probably get them cheaply from sites like ebay!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 01:09:53 AM

(picture above)

That is one of the worst damaged boards that I have seen that was not on fire.  One heatsink falling off can damage a board.  And seeing damaged boards with some heatsinks off and some moved I don't think it is going to be fixable. How much water got on these miners and PSU's?

What part on PSU are you thinking will be fixable?   I just think water going through them most likely is catastrophic failure you don't come back from.  I hope I'm wrong and you can fix them though.
chudm (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 01:12:06 AM

(picture above)

That is one of the worst damaged boards that I have seen that was not on fire.  One heatsink falling off can damage a board.  And seeing damaged boards with some heatsinks off and some moved I don't think it is going to be fixable. How much water got on these miners and PSU's?

What part on PSU are you thinking will be fixable?   I just think water going through them most likely is catastrophic failure you don't come back from.  I hope I'm wrong and you can fix them though.

You are probably right about the damaged board, about the psu ill let you know if it is fixable!
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 01:46:24 AM

If you need replacement PSUs I can hook you up. The best thing I have right now would require 208/240V. I don't have any S7 boards up for grabs at present though, sorry.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: