Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:07:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any open source bitcoin/currency exchange software?  (Read 162389 times)
aes1 (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:56:03 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 09:59:01 AM by aes1

Are there any ready-made open source projects for implementing a currency exchange?

What I want is a currency exchange with low fees and minimal barriers to entry (preferably worldwide but for starters just in the eurozone), but didn't find one. Why? There must be some marketplace software around...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aes1 (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:00:21 AM

Guess I'll have to implement my own one then. Can't be that hard. Making it bulletproof might be another thing...
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 12:28:00 PM

I think the intersango code is opensourced?

I also started a data model for an exchange, but especially in the eurozone, I see a lot of legal issues with an exchange,  Angry

aes1 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:28:55 PM

I also started a data model for an exchange, but especially in the eurozone, I see a lot of legal issues with an exchange,  Angry

Thanks for the pointer! Indeed there seems to be something here: http://gitorious.org/intersango/intersango Though the last commits are from September 2011. (I though Intersango is defunct? There doesn't seem to be any way to actually get into the site.)

Can you elaborate on some the legal issues? From what I've read, the eurozone/SEPA area seems like a heaven compared to the regulations that US exchanges are facing.
daybyter
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:27:36 AM

Running an exchange here (Germany) means, that you are practically a bank. You have to report monthly, have to hire someone just to check for money laundering and there are more regulations like these.

xeverse

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:57:43 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 09:54:39 AM by Xenius

Dark Exchange Revived?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27055.0
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:02:13 AM

Thanks for the pointer! Indeed there seems to be something here: http://gitorious.org/intersango/intersango Though the last commits are from September 2011. (I though Intersango is defunct? There doesn't seem to be any way to actually get into the site.)

Can you elaborate on some the legal issues? From what I've read, the eurozone/SEPA area seems like a heaven compared to the regulations that US exchanges are facing.

I wouldn't touch that code... It has a history of losing people money...

daybyter
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 11:40:27 AM

I'm willing to help with the data model and with the code, as I said.

xeverse

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:26:13 PM

Shouldn't be the exchange only..

The whole integrative concept has to embrace
the derivatives as well: futures and options contracts
as long as derivatives have profound impact on the spot market..

A single decentralized p2p market in onionland or i2p..

Will crowdfunding model be successful for that?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:33:18 PM

A single decentralized p2p market in onionland or i2p..

There is a reason no decentralized p2p market in tor or i2p has been start, that is way too anonymous for a site like this. You want to know who you are sending huge amounts of money too and if something happens someone can fix it.
xeverse

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:44:20 PM

There is a reason no decentralized p2p market in tor or i2p has been start,
I've been under impression that bitcoin is a self-organizing financial ecosystem
with roots traced to cryptoanarchy, that alone implies privacy as top priority,
where human control has been deliberately removed by design, in order to prevent abuse
and which possesses some properties of an AI or collective intelligence at least..
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:48:30 PM

There is a reason no decentralized p2p market in tor or i2p has been start,
I've been under impression that bitcoin is a self-organizing financial ecosystem
with roots traced to cryptoanarchy, that alone implies privacy as top priority,
where human control has been deliberately removed by design, in order to prevent abuse
and which possesses some properties of an AI or collective intelligence at least..

yes... so what is your point? i was talking about sending fiat to convert to bitcoins...
xeverse

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:36:58 PM

yes... so what is your point? i was talking about sending fiat to convert to bitcoins...
Ohhh, i meant trading.

[INFO] Open Source Trading Platforms >>
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87836.0
aes1 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:30:15 PM

Thanks Xenius, that link is a gold mine. I'll have to start digging.

The "Dark Exchange" idea is intriguing, but the idea seems very vague and difficult to implement. The trust issue seems very tricky to solve, if you don't provide an escrow system of some kind - and then you already have a central authority. Unless the network would let you find trustworthy peers who could act as an escrow agent (who would naturally collect a fee for their services). And you could collect higher fees by voluntarily giving up your privacy (if your identity can be traced to a real person, less incentive to run with the money).

Yeah, it could be doable. But perhaps the time is not ready for one yet.
aes1 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:34:31 PM

I'm willing to help with the data model and with the code, as I said.

I'd love to talk about some of the technical issues - I've been thinking quite a bit about inner workings of exchanges lately - and I'm sure it would benefit others, too. I wonder if the Development forum is the right place for that?
daybyter
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:14:36 PM

Let us know, if you start a thread there. I'd have to enter the model into ArgoUML again, before I could post an image of the data model.

mai77

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:02:51 PM

http://d-h.st/users/mai77

http://www.picturehost.eu/uploads/38d0bc3911d853dbd96d7ee1bd8910f2_btnss11.jpg
agorism

Activity: 45

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:28:04 AM

https://github.com/zack-bitcoin/X-change

I am working on an open-source exchange. It has not been tested thoroughly yet.

It is a very simple exchange, all in python. Probably can not handle more than a few thousand users. I took a different strategy on security, I think that it is WAY simpler this way, and there is much less risk.

Please take a look at it, and tell me what you think.
Luposian

Activity: 161

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 03:17:59 AM

https://github.com/zack-bitcoin/X-change

I am working on an open-source exchange. It has not been tested thoroughly yet.

It is a very simple exchange, all in python. Probably can not handle more than a few thousand users. I took a different strategy on security, I think that it is WAY simpler this way, and there is much less risk.

Please take a look at it, and tell me what you think.

This looks interesting.  Can you tell me more about it, show me pictures (screenshots), etc.?  I've hung out at mcxNOW and think his software is pretty interesting (word is he's going to v2.5 soon).  It got me interested in trying to get an exchange going myself, but one that is as bullet-proof as possible, with customer investment protection as priority #1.  If customers don't feel their money is safe, they are far less likely to invest, period.  Why have an exchange nobody feels they can trust?

Can I run this software on my own computer(s) at home (i.e. it's all self-contained, no 3rd party hosting elsewhere)?  Do I need to change my Cox Internet account to something business-oriented, if I do this?
WildCrescent

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 12:34:29 AM

Agorism yet to check, looks interesting Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: