Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:55:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum Fork good or bad?  (Read 3137 times)
ashkanb

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 12:11:24 AM

its more complicated than is it good or is it bad for eth;
what just happened has many implications & many people above me has pointed out many so i'm not gonna repeat.

imo not many more people who were originally into eth are to leave the ecosystem; whoever wanted out, mostly already is!
what's left is a close-knit & involved community; despite of eth's shortcomings being new tech it does have its things going for it!

still a lot of the funds that went into the dao will be leaving eth so i'm totally still expecting a dump;
but in no way i'm seein' eth burning to the ground because of the hf.

what's most curious tho, is how come spoetnik hasn't been here fuding already!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 01:11:18 AM

So far, surprisingly good. For the coin at least, given that the price is mysteriously rising besides popular forum sentiment. Any fork, especially ones of this nature, are bad for crypto in general. We trust these technologies because of the authority a complete and unmolested blockchain provides.

When you take that away, you might as well have Mario Bros coins.
andyste

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 01:24:28 AM

I think a nice coin ethereum current best altcoin,
altcoin capable proportional to the number of communities etherum may only litecoin and dogecoin
coin is still long term and good coin depending on the user and the user's alias coin depends on its community and its dev
Kellor

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 08:21:13 PM

Etherereum fork is good for me. I also sold out all my ETC to the trader/believer of the Classic. Wish them good luck.
Perman

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 07:57:40 AM

Etherereum fork is good for me. I also sold out all my ETC to the trader/believer of the Classic. Wish them good luck.

It is very wise for you to sell. If the DAO hacker dumps his ETC, it could reduce the price of ETC quite a lot.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 08:53:48 AM

The ETH fork is a very good thing, because now ETH and ETC exist, so people have more choice.

Moreover, the fork also indicated us the limits of smart contracts, namely that the code is only the law to the extend that miners and others agree, and that at any point, smart contracts can be undone if a significant majority of stake holders, coders and miners think that they will make more profit by rewinding the past and stop unstoppable code, and change the immutable past.

In the wake of it, we now see, for the first time, what is a genuine 51% attack, but not by malice, but by decision of a majority of miners, of changing past transactions, coloring coins, and imposing their morality on what was up to then considered a neutral and secure transaction medium.

The fork is also very positive, because this is the first time that a genuine fork happens, with two different coins at the outcome, where some real money is involved worth more than a pizza or something.   We can now study the phenomenon of hard fork more closely.

In other words, the ETH fork is a treasure trove for phenomena concerning block chains and crypto which had been, up to this moment, entirely hypothetical and theoretical.  We are exploring the limits of crypto and block chain here, and the extend to which human intervention can alter the agreed upon rules.  We're testing the limits of trustlessness.
FoendyZ

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 10:14:14 AM

Hi,

I'm confused..
The hard fork.. Is it good or bad for the future of ethereum?

ethereum hard fork is to improve to ethereuem clasic
so i think it is good is better good the next future, but few comunity not accepted ethereum hardfork and still platform old ethereum is ethereum clasic ETC
dinofelis

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 11:13:15 AM

ethereum hard fork is to improve to ethereuem clasic
so i think it is good is better good the next future, but few comunity not accepted ethereum hardfork and still platform old ethereum is ethereum clasic ETC

There's nothing "improved" by the ETH fork.  They only moved the DAO funds to a different address "deus ex machina" in order to bail out the failed project which had undergone unexpected transactions according to the code and with which many people disagreed with because it was against their profit.

Sniper44

Activity: 714
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 11:38:40 AM

Hi,

I'm confused..

the hard fork, for the future of ethereum is bad because it has divided everything into two groups and as you can see it is still being pump and dumped. but if you check out the price of classic you see that fork has been good for traders to make a lot of money.

also the fork has been bad for ethereum because once again it has proven that eth is centralized.

to the moon with bitcoin...
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1442

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 12:11:07 PM

It was supposed to be good because Vitalik rolled back the transactions that made the hacker have millions of ETH. Everyone thought that was the end of it and the show will go on. But he did not anticipate what would happen next that the original chain will continue on to compete with the fork. Now the supporters of the fork are now desperate to kill the original chain and cannot accept that the that it will stay for a very long time with the possibility of it having the longer chain. If that happens then the fork will die because the miners will go back to the original.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Kellor

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 01:16:51 PM

The Ethereum fork could teach a lesson to bitcoin and other altcoin about the danger of the hard fork.
dinofelis

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 01:18:24 PM

The Ethereum fork could teach a lesson to bitcoin and other altcoin about the danger of the hard fork.

Or about its utility of having a split block chain where no minority suffers the dictate from the majority.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 01:34:28 PM

Any fork, at this point. We have seen every manner of fork, including salad forks coming out of the Ethereum camp. I think hard forks shouldn't be off the table, but should be limited to major technical issues that would otherwise 'break' the usability of the network.
severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 01:49:40 PM

Any fork, at this point. We have seen every manner of fork, including salad forks coming out of the Ethereum camp. I think hard forks shouldn't be off the table, but should be limited to major technical issues that would otherwise 'break' the usability of the network.

I think that fork scared away a lot of regular bitcoin useres from the eth/etc currency who are not so much into all that technical stuff.
And as a payment method, it has probably ruined its chances to be accepted like bitcoin already is for a very long time.
Nope, I do not think that the fork was good for Ethereum.
Kellor

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 06:42:08 PM

I think that fork scared away a lot of regular bitcoin useres from the eth/etc currency who are not so much into all that technical stuff.
And as a payment method, it has probably ruined its chances to be accepted like bitcoin already is for a very long time.
Nope, I do not think that the fork was good for Ethereum.

I heard the ETC pumpers are from the bitcoin community. They feel the intimidation of the success of ETH.
dinofelis

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 05:18:07 AM

I heard the ETC pumpers are from the bitcoin community. They feel the intimidation of the success of ETH.

That success is over, I think, with the DAO demo.  No corporate investor and no big company is ever going to build a smart contract on ETH ever.  ETH complex smart contracts have shown their fundamental problem: the code is the law, and the law is buggy.  Even if one would now write a clean smart contract, the fear of the unknown exploit is now present for ever.

So big contracts, with big money in it, which was the ETH booster, is done with for a very very very long time.

X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 05:24:42 AM

Hi,

I'm confused..

Only time will tell friend, this is a good thing for the cryptocurrency community to observe. It should be good either way but we will see

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 07:58:40 AM

Hi,

I'm confused..

hard forks are always bad. and i say it is bad for every coin not only etherum. but in this case if you look at how the hard fork happened and the reason why it has happened you see that it was a terrible idea to do it in the first place.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
dumada

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 08:39:23 AM

Will this succeed:
https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/8759/updated-51-etc-attack-pool-mining-eth-until-hashrate-exceeds-etcs-0-fee
dinofelis

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 09:14:57 AM

In order for a 51% attack to "succeed", you have to sustain it, otherwise the good chain catches up.  What miner is going to put permanent resources in this ?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: