Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:38:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will it go mainstream ?  (Read 1123 times)
TeeBone (OP)

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:31:30 AM

Perhaps when a hardware wallet and other security measures become standardized ?

I'm sold on the idea, i see bitcoin as a nice compliment to gold/silver. But what's a computer-retard like myself (not afraid to admit it) to do until then.

Are there any services out there that advise or better yet can safely set up an account for you for a fee ?

Im terrified of investing any large amounts, only to get flushed cuz of not knowing how to properly back up stuff or getting hacked.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 12:36:12 AM

Hedge funds are in the process of using bitcoin.
mtgox is becoming more regulated.

there are instructions for a paper wallet on here.
many people will offer to set one up for you.
do it yourself is safest.
do a couple small transactions, to get to know it.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:43:55 AM

I suggest this. It works really good if you're okay with not being able to access it right away without a little bit of effort.

1) Burn a linux live-cd, i suggest tails or ubuntu, or alternatively create a boot usb live cd.

2) Boot from said CD.

3) Point browser to www.bitaddress.org

4) Go offline. unplug the ethernet cord and router power if you're really paranoid.

5) Use the "brain wallet" function of that site to create a SECURE password that you can either remember, or write down.

6) Write down/memorize/secure the password (and the private key as a back up to that if you want), and write down the the public address that got generated.

7) Without going back online, turn the computer off.

You now have an address to put your savings. You have access to it through the password you made, and/or the private key you wrote down.

The address has never seen the internet, so there is 0% of a hacker getting to it unless they trick you into giving your password in real life or something.

Make a new one to send your remaining balance to if you ever send money out of it by importing it into a client, like blockchain.info
SBC

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 12:44:28 AM

It can be slightly daunting - it's easy once you know how - but try Bitcoin Armory for the 'cold storage' of your coin collection.

Bitcoin Armory can be downloaded here: http://bitcoinarmory.com/

Then follow the step-by-step instructions here: http://bitcoinarmory.com/using-offline-wallets-in-armory/ (read the whole page)

to secure you Bitcoins. It's worth purchasing maybe a single coin, or a fraction thereof and then practicing with transferring a small amount with your newly configured 'cold storage' wallet and a hot wallet. For example - a free wallet you create on blockchain.info
TeeBone (OP)

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:03:08 PM

Is there any way to buy physical bitcoin and have it flown offshore to a private vault ala gold ?
zeocrash

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:17:37 PM

Is there any way to buy physical bitcoin and have it flown offshore to a private vault ala gold ?

Do you have a private vault??
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:12:49 PM

Yes, you can buy them on ebay.

Physical Casascius Bitcoins

The coin has a peel back tamper proof hologram sticker which reveals a 'Private key' which is accepted by the major bitcoin dealer MtGox.com where you can convert these physical Casascius Bitcoins into normal digital Bitcoins. Using the "Redeem Private Key" feature under the Funding Options menu.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:14:42 PM

Yes, you can them on ebay.

Physical Casascius Bitcoins

The only "problem" is that you have to trust the guy who makes them.  But given that there's $5M worth of coins that have been sold, and I haven't heard of problems with a single one of them, I'd say he's built a nice reputation for himself at this point.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:16:52 PM

You have to turst MtGox who do 80% of all Bitcoin transactions anyway.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:20:14 PM

Well it is different, you only have to trust mt gox for the transaction, but once you bought btc and you transfered them to your address, you no more have to trust them

For these coins it is different, since of course who made them, know the private key

torzsy

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:30:26 AM

Perhaps when a hardware wallet and other security measures become standardized ?

I'm sold on the idea, i see bitcoin as a nice compliment to gold/silver. But what's a computer-retard like myself (not afraid to admit it) to do until then.

Are there any services out there that advise or better yet can safely set up an account for you for a fee ?

Im terrified of investing any large amounts, only to get flushed cuz of not knowing how to properly back up stuff or getting hacked.

I have a 30 chars long password and wallet.db is automatically backuped 4 times a day to an ftp server. I think its enough at the start.
MarkBTC

Activity: 22

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:16:59 AM

I think it's already fairly mainstream. Big names in the financial press (Wall Street Journal, FT, Forbes, etc.) have all picked up on this. There are Bitcoin users in every country around the world.

For Bitcoin to be used in day-to-day transactions, the value of the currency must stabilise first. When the BTC/USD rate is still rising at 100%+ per year, people have a very strong incentive to hoard them instead of spend them, which grows the Bitcoin economy.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:48:32 AM

I suggest this. It works really good if you're okay with not being able to access it right away without a little bit of effort.

1) Burn a linux live-cd, i suggest tails or ubuntu, or alternatively create a boot usb live cd.

2) Boot from said CD.

3) Point browser to www.bitaddress.org

4) Go offline. unplug the ethernet cord and router power if you're really paranoid.

5) Use the "brain wallet" function of that site to create a SECURE password that you can either remember, or write down.

6) Write down/memorize/secure the password (and the private key as a back up to that if you want), and write down the the public address that got generated.

7) Without going back online, turn the computer off.

You now have an address to put your savings. You have access to it through the password you made, and/or the private key you wrote down.

The address has never seen the internet, so there is 0% of a hacker getting to it unless they trick you into giving your password in real life or something.

Make a new one to send your remaining balance to if you ever send money out of it by importing it into a client, like blockchain.info

This is cool and as a newbie i will do this but security is a barrier to entry for mainstream.

If someone comes up with some kind of secure $10 priced wallet/service where all the work is done for you then great.
michellj

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:52:43 AM

It can hardly be said that its mainstream at the moment.

Wherever I go and talk about it - no-one has ever heard about it.

I had a meeting with a financial adviser who owns an investment company in south Germany last week - and neither he nor his colleagues had ever heard of it. However they were on the look-out for a new opportunity and will look into BTC.

It is still too complex for non-techies to use safely - I mean downloading the blockchain takes for ever on a normal computer - and that kind of barrier puts people off.

However there is rapid development now to overcome all of these barriers to adoption.

There are a number of forces acting in the world to propel BTC into the mainstream however - and in the process to propel a unit BTC to a high value - perhaps $1000's.

The idea of a global currency which meets no barriers in international transfers between individuals is an idea whose time is about to come - its that clear - its that simple. At the same time it is clear to all those observant enough about world affairs that national fiat currencies are rapidly losing their function as a store of value and as a measure of value - inflating base currency amounts is simply too easy when all fiat currencies are no less virtual than BTC.

There are holders of huge wealth just looking at the next opportunity to move into something with real potential to the upside - and now many of them are eyeing up the BTC world and trying to get their heads around its seeming complexity - soon they will move in with a sure-footedness and a determination that will surprise many - there are simply no other games of this kind in town at present.

These combinations coupled with increasing media interest will converge - I guess in 2013 sometime - to give BTC a massive boost and launch it into the mainstream in quite an unexpected way.

Then we will see something which makes the last tech boom seem like a mere blip on a past horizon.

brodiegardiner

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:02:09 AM

As soon as we see some really big players come into the mix which will really lift the price, at the same time i agree people are too hesitant at purchasing and just expecting the bubble to pop. however even a small shift in price down will just cause a rally in the opposite direction.

Anenome5

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:10:22 AM

On the consumer side we badly need idiot-proof hardware wallets. Generating a secure address without these is difficult, expensive, and perhaps still not as secure as it could be, and something a 'norm' user would despair at trying to do.

On the business side, I think Bitpay is taking care of it nicely and will cement themselves into that lovely position.

We've had our FinCen legal ruling, that basically opens the floodgates. So what we need now is a US exchange to come online.

Hello Coinlab!

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:07:08 AM

It can hardly be said that its mainstream at the moment.

Wherever I go and talk about it - no-one has ever heard about it.

I had a meeting with a financial adviser who owns an investment company in south Germany last week - and neither he nor his colleagues had ever heard of it. However they were on the look-out for a new opportunity and will look into BTC.

It is still too complex for non-techies to use safely - I mean downloading the blockchain takes for ever on a normal computer - and that kind of barrier puts people off.

However there is rapid development now to overcome all of these barriers to adoption.

There are a number of forces acting in the world to propel BTC into the mainstream however - and in the process to propel a unit BTC to a high value - perhaps $1000's.

The idea of a global currency which meets no barriers in international transfers between individuals is an idea whose time is about to come - its that clear - its that simple. At the same time it is clear to all those observant enough about world affairs that national fiat currencies are rapidly losing their function as a store of value and as a measure of value - inflating base currency amounts is simply too easy when all fiat currencies are no less virtual than BTC.

There are holders of huge wealth just looking at the next opportunity to move into something with real potential to the upside - and now many of them are eyeing up the BTC world and trying to get their heads around its seeming complexity - soon they will move in with a sure-footedness and a determination that will surprise many - there are simply no other games of this kind in town at present.

These combinations coupled with increasing media interest will converge - I guess in 2013 sometime - to give BTC a massive boost and launch it into the mainstream in quite an unexpected way.

Then we will see something which makes the last tech boom seem like a mere blip on a past horizon.

There are alternatives to downloading the entire blockchain already, like Electrum.

But the concept of an anonymous, ethereal, near-instantly-transferable gold analog will be attractive to a lot of people... It seems the potential of the Internet has not yet fully unfolded.

IggySe7ven

Activity: 464
Merit: 29

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:51:30 AM

great info, thanks guys.
IggySe7ven

Activity: 464
Merit: 29

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:58:20 AM

still alot of people are skeptical, i am telling alot of my friends and they not taking it seriously, i am trying to help them out. they gonna regret it.
Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 11:17:11 AM

still alot of people are skeptical, i am telling alot of my friends and they not taking it seriously, i am trying to help them out. they gonna regret it.

They will come back to you when they have to pay 1k a BTC then u can say" i told u so" and then u drive away in your lambo gallardo.... Cool

COINDER
COINDER
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: