Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:06:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P2Pool monitoring app  (Read 2015 times)
salfter (OP)

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 02:44:11 AM

There seems to be a shortage of apps (for either Android or iOS) aimed at keeping tabs on your P2Pool server. You could bookmark the page it provides (and probably should), but something that would give a quick view of miner health and some other stats would be nice.

To that end, I have this so far:

http://alfter.us/p2pool.html

It's functional, but obvoiusly needs some styling work. It's completely self-contained (like bitaddress.org), so making an app out of it with PhoneGap would be trivial when the time comes. I already have a suitable toolchain on Linux to build for Android. iOS presents more of a financial hurdle to building and distributing apps, but maybe I can get away with presenting it as a data: URL that can be "installed" with the "save to homescreen" option in Safari.

Beyond that, what features would you find useful? One that comes to mind but is as yet unimplemented is support for multiple P2Pool servers. I might end up running servers. for both Litecoin & Bitcoin once my Jalapeño arrives, so this is something I'd find useful. Perhaps more info about blockchain stats, exchange rates, etc. Ideas, anyone?

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:56:47 AM

I love it. This needs to be done. Phone monitoring apps was one of the main reasons I used to go back and forth between BTCGuild and P2Pool.
So far, I think it is and excellent start and if you can make an app out of it, that would be wonderful. Eventually, I personally would appreciate the following features:

*some P2Pools are public so selective monitoring by username would be useful. For example, instead of running their own instance, my friends have started to just use mine.
*a widget is an eventual must
*notifications (offline miners, selective)
*eventual easy to read formatting is a must, with something like what bitcare does eventually but I can see simply segregating each miner into a "tile" to be a good start
*advanced data for users like average getblock latency, memory usage or peer connections.

I would personally not like to see financial or any "bonus" data before the app becomes fully functional and featureful. There's too many dedicated apps for that already. Another cool "bonus data" could be fetching the balance of the miner address.

I don't throw my money at developers too much early on. I'm afraid of them ending up like the AndLTC guy, who kind of left it half-broken and never came back. But this is the kind of app I would be willing to donate to if it can come to pass and you can keep up development.

Keep up the awesome work Grin

salfter (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 09:20:34 PM

Keep up the awesome work Grin

Thanks!  I've found a glitch when monitoring my Bitcoin P2Pool instance in which the current-payout field keeps coming back "undefined."  I haven't had a chance to fix it yet, though.  That and the items on your list are things I'll keep in mind.

One more thing I've not brought up yet: the "styling work" in the OP has been done.  "Add to homescreen" works nicely within Safari on iOS devices, too.  That was a matter of including some <meta> elements...anyone know if something similar would work for Android?

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
salfter (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 09:43:44 PM

v0.2 is up!  It now displays the default payout address and its balance (obtained from blockexplorer.com or explorer.litecoin.net, as appropriate).  Internally, it's now using JQuery to retrieve data via JSONP; previously, it used YQL, which slowed things down as all the queries had to go through Yahoo's servers.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: