Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:53:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vulnerability  (Read 1289 times)
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:21:02 PM

Wouldn't that be a major waste of money? I mean buying something to destroy it when it will never be on their level.. seems counterproductive to me.  Huh
We are talking about the U.S. Government. "Counterproductive" and "waste of money" are its primary characteristics.

The US government does have a way to manipulate currencies, it's called the Exchange Stabilization Fund.

ESF $550bn vs. Bitcoin $0.5bn

"may deal in gold, foreign exchange, and other instruments of credit and securities."
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/international/ESF/Pages/esf-index.aspx

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DAN444 (OP)

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 02:09:23 AM

If you have bitcoin loans then you de facto have bitcoin short positions.  Investment sites that allow you to short by checking the box for 'short sell' rather than 'buy' is just a convenience.

The mechanism for short selling is to get a loan for say, 10 BTC, then use that to buy cash (say, $650 USD today), then when it's time to pay back the loan you buy 10 BTC at current market rates to pay back the loan.  If you pay the loan back a month from now and the price has dropped by $10 per BTC, then it would cost $550 to buy 10 BTC to pay back the loan, earning you $100 USD.

Of course, you have an interest rate on a loan, so if your interest rate on the 10 BTC is, say, 1% then you have to pay back 10.01 BTC, which would eat into your profits from a short position.  You want to take this into account when timing your purchase of BTC to cover your short position.  If a lot of people start to think that BTC is going to go down in value then demand for short positions will increase, which will increase the demand for BTC loans, which will increase the short term loan interest rate.

How many services are there for BTC loans?  In aggregate, how much BTC credit is really out there?  If there isn't much BTC credit out there and short selling picks up then it would be very profitable to be a seller of BTC credit, because as demand increases so do interest rates.
Great response.
Thanks
botsofbitcoin

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 02:15:50 AM

If BTC were to ever become centralized im buying pieces of sting and using them as currency instead.

I'll pitch in 1 BTC for his annoying face.

See my localbitcoins ads here: https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/botsofbitcoin/?ch=2mk
Visit Bots of Bitcoin here: http://www.botsofbitcoin.com/
Follow on Twitter: @botsofbitcoin
DAN444 (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 02:22:24 AM

Some people have accused short sellers of 'destroying value' before, so I misread the two posts above this one, LOL.
Are you referring to manipulation of the silver and gold "paper" market by the big bullion banks?
That's what makes me think that if shorting bitcoins is made possible, manipulation could be possible..
bubblesort

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Lex Ad Impios

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 06:14:43 PM

Some people have accused short sellers of 'destroying value' before, so I misread the two posts above this one, LOL.
Are you referring to manipulation of the silver and gold "paper" market by the big bullion banks?
That's what makes me think that if shorting bitcoins is made possible, manipulation could be possible..

Manipulation is always possible, with or without short selling.  You will always have things like pump and dump type scams, no matter what kinds of regulations you create for markets.  In fact, it's probably a good idea to evaluate posts in this forum against the question of whether the poster is pumping a position in order to manipulate markets.

DAN444 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:42:53 PM

I see.
Could a large financial institutiondiscourage owning BTC simply by making it insanely volatile?
(Purchasing huge amounts then dumping them all etc..)

Like I suspected above, seems like I was right and the answer is YES:
"Attackers wait until the price of bitcoins reaches a certain value, sell, destabilize the exchange, wait for everybody to panic-sell their bitcoins, wait for the price to drop to a certain amount, then stop the attack and start buying as much as they can. Repeat this two or three times like we saw over the past few days and they profit," Mt.Gox said.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-hacked-price-stumbles-buying-103848677.html;_ylt=Aj6xABvB5n5SPsC4lmSkiN6iuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTQ4ajlmdW5jBG1pdANDTkJDIFRvcCBTdG9yaWVzBHBrZwNiZDIwYjZiNi1hZjgxLTNiMmQtYjUxYi1iYjViNjg2MTcwNWEEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaXhlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgM1NDkxYmM0MS05ZDE0LTExZTItYjlmYi0zZTA4ZmIxMDkzODA-;_ylg=X3oDMTFkcW51ZGliBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3BtaA--;_ylv=3
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: