Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:17:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 80 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Steem pyramid scheme revealed  (Read 107032 times)
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:58:41 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2016, 09:18:55 AM by iamnotback

So around this lady might develop a cosplaying sub-community which could upsell related games and paraphernalia:

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@tayla.barter/hi-steemit-i-am-tayla-barter-kinpatsu-cosplayer-and-artist

But there need to be incentives and features to promote creation of sub-communities.

This lady wants to work creatively as a freelancer, and she seems to think Steemit maybe helping her to achieve that goal:

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@diana.catherine/new-introduceyourself-post-and-info-about-me-i-still-think-the-founders-are-geniuses

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamnotback

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 09:13:31 AM

I may have found an important use of Steemit!

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@bittrex-ryan/introduction-bittrex-ryan-your-first-line-of-support#@anonymint/re-bittrex-ryan-introduction-bittrex-ryan-your-first-line-of-support-20160727t091235751z
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 09:51:39 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2016, 10:08:10 AM by r0ach

If you knew about my post history, I was the one telling everyone months ago that Steem and Synereo would fail because the advertising revenue per user per year for the social networks averages less than $20

I'm not sure if the Larimers are actually this smart and/or devious or not, but it's entirely possible none of the economics for this thing have to make sense at all and the entire thing will be kept afloat by enormous amounts of money laundering.  Targeted voting, all kinds of tricks.  The Liberty Reserve even had a dollar pegged asset exactly like the Larimers seem to have created.

Also, looks like somebody stole your post haha:

https://steemit.com/photography/@watch-chronolog/how-to-search-for-royalty-free-images-on-google

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
iamnotback

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 11:13:12 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2016, 12:14:22 PM by iamnotback

The voting and reward algorithm in Steem seems to me to have a fundamental flaw.

If they made voting rewards linear, then all SP holders could simply vote for their own posts and recover their share of the dilution of the money supply. The game theory would be there is no financial incentive to vote for posts of others (although there might be an incentive for minnows who value the site functionality more than the tiny bit of rewards they control).

So instead they made rewards quadratic and even time incentivized so that you have to risk your vote on a post that you can't be sure will gain you the most rewards (since you don't know which post all the other users will vote on until later, which is why the votes are time incentivized to vote early). That also had the hype benefit of creating posts with exaggerated $50,000 rewards due these non-linear amplification algorithms.

But the quadratic and time incentivization game theory highly favors whales who can collude since the remove the risks the algorithms intended to create yet the colluding whales can take all the non-linear reward amplifications. I am not saying whales are colluding now, but for example if the media moguls can obtain significant stake and then accumulate 100% of the tokens over time by this game theory strategy thus controlling ranking of content on the site.

I believe the only solution to this is to let users control their own ranking algorithms (so whales can't predict rankings even if they collude on voting) and votes for computing rewards should always be linearly tallied. In other words, rankings need to be truly decentralized else the entire system is a clusterfuck back to centralized media control again. Meaning that if you only vote for yourself, you voting pattern make not align with like-mindedness with others thus you may have no influence on the ranking of your posts on the site, so you lose income from the votes of others. Meaning if you vote for yourself, you opt out of blogging.

Meaning I see no solution to the fact that it is impossible to incentivize whales to vote meaningfully and it is impossible to charge whales for the voting of minnows1! Dan's communism fails.

I'll be reading over @theoretical's blogs to see if I have made any errors or incorrect assumptions. I'll update you if I find any.

1 I do see one solution to this where whales are charged for voting but not allowed to vote but it can't work in the Dan's current design where STEEM are debased 50% yearly because obviously whales won't decide to hold STEEM.

I remember now that long ago (perhaps it was 2014) I already gone down this wild goose chase of voting from shared debasement and had realized it was fundamentally flawed and can't work.

Steemit is fucked. There is no way to fix this. Absolutely impossible. Fugetaboutit.

What they did was put the whales in control so they could over pay for blogs to generate the delusional to-da-moon groupthink.

I can't think of any way sure way to fix it. We might hope if we adopt my solution quoted above and make the forced voting small enough, that minnows will just vote their conscience (because it is a hassle otherwise perhaps), in that case maybe it works. But the whales will still opt out by voting themselves, so the minnows end up paying for all the blogging, which means it won't have sufficient funding. Power-law distribution rules.

If whales have a huge incentive to be restricted from voting (e.g. they don't have to hold for 2 years), then perhaps you can charge the debasement to them. But if the minnows are voting with the whales' share, then the minnows have more incentive to vote for themselves.

It just doesn't seem to work no matter how we design it.

Steemit's whales can justify throwing away money because they know otherwise they can't cash out. This is still a ponzi scheme and race to the exits before everyone realizes the voting system is totally dysfunctional. It will become more and more apparently over time.

They may be hoping they can get enough users into the system to begin some ecosystem work on microtransactions. Maybe the big lie in the voting algorithm is just a stopgap measure to onboard users. But I really can't see this group of developers ever succeeding because they seem to be always about fooling people.

Solid businesses are built on solid ethics.

I think maybe I have a design idea on how to structure debasement of voting that solves the problem above that I thought was mathematically insoluble!

I don't want to say I am certain, so I will think about this more (especially when rested).

If I am correct, then this changes my opinion about voting being worthless and insolubly dysfunctional.

Edit: hypothetically another advantage of my design concept is that the voting algorithm would not be a globalized calculation, which is a very important criteria if we want to be able to shard the blockchain for scaling purposes, which is something Graphene can't do.

My idea emphasizes the SP as "karma" and mathematically so.

P.S. I worked 18 hours today! My health is cooperating.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2016, 02:11:20 PM

Here's a fun steemit fact, you can make money fucking over scammers (that post was 3k before the reveal  Smiley).

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@lasvegasgirl/new-on-steemit-and-super-excited-im-livin-it-up-in-las-vegas-and-loving-every-minute-of-it-hi-everyone#@generalizethis/re-wadepaterson-re-lasvegasgirl-new-on-steemit-and-super-excited-im-livin-it-up-in-las-vegas-and-loving-every-minute-of-it-hi-everyone-20160727t065231941z

criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 02:17:17 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2016, 02:31:07 PM by criptix

/OT

That girl looks super artificial... not hot at all :/

Edit

Good eyes though generalizethis

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
iamnotback

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 06:29:05 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2016, 07:39:36 PM by iamnotback

Yup, there is no 3D integration on the lower side of the sheet of paper. Smooth I agree we'll need to move to video verification of users. If I launch a competitor, everyone will be video verified before they can avail of any significant rewards.

Although FinCEN seems to only require KYC when you are both an issuer and a redeemer (Steemit Inc. appears to only be an issuer and Steem provides exchange thus redemption), it would be safer to do KYC on all.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:02:51 PM

It's up to the voter to determine if they are sufficiently convinced and if their upvote should be given.

KYC? Video verification? No need for all these.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:26:35 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2016, 08:37:49 PM by iamnotback

It's up to the voter to determine if they are sufficiently convinced and if their upvote should be given.

KYC? Video verification? No need for all these.

I'll respond to this in the future. For now I will just say I am confident I can convince you that it is absolutely necessary (but not immediately on signup as that would make a horrific attrition rate). Ditto to on how you didn't see the flaws in your conceptualization of the copyright liability issue (not criticizing you as I really appreciated your interaction on that, just saying I think you are not seeing all the ramifications yet).
iamnotback

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:27:38 PM

More feedback from female members on why they joined and their inspiration:

https://steemit.com/steemit/@diana.catherine/i-am-lazy-so-facebook-still-gets-my-attention-for-5-min-in-a-day#@anonymint/re-dianacatherine-i-am-lazy-so-facebook-still-gets-my-attention-for-5-min-in-a-day-20160727t084343039z

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@jenelyn/hi-i-m-jenelyn-i-m-a-freelance-writer-newly-found-steemit-nerd-and-immigrant-to-the-us-this-is-my-story#@jenelyn/re-anonymint-re-jenelyn-hi-i-m-jenelyn-i-m-a-freelance-writer-newly-found-steemit-nerd-and-immigrant-to-the-us-this-is-my-story-20160727t111239713z
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 01:20:24 PM

iamnotback, are you trying to flirt with steemit girls now? And becoming a regular steemit poster while bashing it this whole time? LOL

I guess steem is a success!

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Digitalbitcoin

Activity: 1540
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2016, 02:30:39 PM

iamnotback, are you trying to flirt with steemit girls now? And becoming a regular steemit poster while bashing it this whole time? LOL

I also guess steemit got success by engaging that many users in system that generate huge amount for them.

I think dev have successful in his work. But what about affects of it in society. What about mafia ? What about misuse of blockchain technology.
yudy

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 06:41:51 PM

steemit coin i think is not special only altcoin
steemit coin is special distributed too social media platform equal facebook
but in there every activity can reward steemit coin
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 06:49:43 PM

steemit coin i think is not special only altcoin
steemit coin is special distributed too social media platform equal facebook
but in there every activity can reward steemit coin

....Is this site full of 3rd world country foreigners or something?  It's hard to understand what half the people say around here

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
iamnotback

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 07:01:52 PM

Hahaha. No I was just doing market research.

I post sincerely. It doesn't mean I have any intention other than seeing an opportunity to be sincere while also gathering some feedback on the inspiration and mindset of the ladies who are joining Steem. The female demographic is very important to break out of our all male blocknerdiness.
chryspano
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 10:32:15 PM

What about mafia ? What about misuse of blockchain technology.

bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 11:35:44 PM

Steemit is now open source. https://steemit.com/steemit/@steemitblog/steemit-com-is-now-open-source
iamnotback

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 12:04:00 AM

The Steem blockchain code retains no permission to fork without written permission from Steemit Inc..

They’ve entirely open sourced the Steemit.com source code, but apparently the Steem blockchain remains under the control of Steemit Inc..

See also @theoretical's comment post:

https://steemit.com/steem/@cryptocurrency1/price-of-steem-coin-will-plummet-because-of-open-source#@theoretical/re-cryptocurrency1-price-of-steem-coin-will-plummet-because-of-open-source-20160728t231342699z
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 12:09:52 AM

More Larimer tricks.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 12:18:41 AM

And what is to prevent someone from downloading the source code, taking what they like, change the name of all the functions and modify as they please?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 80 »
  Print  

Jump to: