Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:25:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it stealing when you get the funds from an address you find?  (Read 6666 times)
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 03:31:12 AM

Your case A is obviously stealing because of your evil intention. Grin  You do everything just to gain something even if you know that it is from the other person.  You exerted effort just to have bitcoins that is not yours.  In case B it is just pure luck.  You have not done anything wrong as it is already in that bitcoin wallet.  But would that happen?  I mean having already a fund with the wallet address that is newly generated?

Are you saying that not having evil intentions makes it not illegal?  If my family is starving and I rob a bank it isn't illegal because I am doing it for good?

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 12:30:49 AM

No matter what scenario you spin, they're not your coins, so yes, it's theft.
if you have got the amount accidentally then it is not stealing or theft

Yes it is still stealing/theft.

If the postal service delivers a package to you by mistake, and you keep it, you get arrested if you dont give it back..

If someone accidentally deposits money in your bank account and you keep it, you get arrested if you dont pay it back.

If the tax service accidentally gives you a refund to large and you keep it, you get arrested if you dont pay it back.

You sound like a child with absolutely no adult life experience... or you're retarded.
swfsql

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 01:56:49 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2016, 02:22:50 AM by swfsql

I think it's not stealing for both cases because I think it wasn't a private property of some previous owner, it just happened he had the priv. keys, and now you also have. I tried to give a better explanation here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1598043.0

According to the idea that bitcoins exists in our "minds", what is happening is that you are able to communicate "to the air" and other people will hear that and they will arbitrarily decide to change their memory of the mental blockchain. So you can't be a theft just by saying some words to the air, while you're not taking any private property away from anyone. You are not more blamable than the people who decided to give their interpretation to your meaningless speech, and decided to ignore the (now) useless effort of the previous owner to re-spend his bitcoins.

Let's change the story: what if I'm walking in a mall, then I say something like "it's so could here", but some random guy hears me and thinks I said that I ordered him to go and kill random people. The interpretation he gives to what I said is his own business, I have nothing to do with his actions. But in the bitcoin case, the messages aren't "propositional" and there's not even private property aggression, anywhere. So in the bitcoin case I'm far more secure that it's not a wrong-doing.

Well, I think it's ok to think that way IF you consider that btc aren't priv. property. If not, if they are, then yes I would consider it a theft for both cases.

I very similar situation is when someone wrongly sends you some bitcoin, in a address you didn't expect any donation. Would you send it back? I mean, he could still just be donating random ppl some btc, but its very likely he is not. And if you consider it a donation, then (maybe) you can consider that everyone who participates on the blockchain are also donators to whoever have "their" private addresses.
PsursV

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 08:20:15 PM

Your case A is obviously stealing because of your evil intention. Grin  You do everything just to gain something even if you know that it is from the other person.  You exerted effort just to have bitcoins that is not yours.  In case B it is just pure luck.  You have not done anything wrong as it is already in that bitcoin wallet.  But would that happen?  I mean having already a fund with the wallet address that is newly generated?

Are you saying that not having evil intentions makes it not illegal?  If my family is starving and I rob a bank it isn't illegal because I am doing it for good?
but i think the band is not responsible for your family, bank is holding the people money and when you will robed it then who will pay to them and the second thing is that the state have the responsibility to provide basic necessity to the people free fo cost therefore you will not be doing right if you are going to robbed a band just for your family.
swilla

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 12:22:50 AM

but i think the band is not responsible for your family, bank is holding the people money and when you will robed it then who will pay to them and the second thing is that the state have the responsibility to provide basic necessity to the people free fo cost therefore you will not be doing right if you are going to robbed a band just for your family.

I agree with the first part of your statement but where do you get your logic for the statement i marked in bold?
mixan
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 01:25:15 AM

I would say this is a form of stealing because if you find them and they are not yours then you should not touch them because someone left them there and they expect them to be there when they return to them.
It is no different from if it were something on the street or on a park bench.
Let the person have the chance to reclaim what they have left there.

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
PsursV

View Profile
September 18, 2016, 08:14:59 PM

if you got the fund accidentally then its ok and it is not stealing but if you still know the person who sent you the bitcoin accidentally and you are not returning his money then it is stealing,
StoreBit

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 09:54:32 PM

if you are doing robbery in a bank for the reason to get food for you children, i think it is not good, because there are so many organization and charity center from where you can easily get help and cam give food to your children.
BossMacko

Activity: 1134
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 11:44:41 AM

I guess that is stealing because the address that you find is not yours in the first place plus you get the funds inside that address. But i think your not going to jail because of it because you don't know the owner of that address and the owner of that address will not be able to know you because that's how Bitcoin works.
btclaw

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 03:16:22 PM

I would consider it stealing. Wait some time, if the funds aren't messed with for months or years then maybe you can leave with a fat wallet and a clean conscience.
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 08:49:37 AM

So you guys want to tell me that if I post my private key here no one of you will swipe it if the account ballance is 150 BTC.

LOL.

I don't believe any of you! I think you will all steal it and your action is making your talking invalid!

Space for rent if its still trending
Dora Doll

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 05:15:40 PM

if you found the address by chance or accidentally then it is not stealing but still it is your moral duty to return the funds to its owner and if you know abut the owner and still do not returning the fund to its owner then it is stealing.
Superbitzz

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 07:11:10 PM

So you guys want to tell me that if I post my private key here no one of you will swipe it if the account ballance is 150 BTC.

LOL.

I don't believe any of you! I think you will all steal it and your action is making your talking invalid!
yes you cannot believe on any one in such case, and you have to keep your key very safe if some one find i do no thing that any one will return it to you. therefore you should very careful about your key.
satdas

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 07:17:34 PM

LOL.

yes you cannot believe on any one in such case, and you have to keep your key very safe if some one find i do no thing that any one will return it to you. therefore you should very careful about your key.
yes i also agree with you that you should be very careful about your security key, because if you lost your key and some one found it, he will not wast the time to take all of your money at once
satdas

Activity: 281

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 09:51:55 PM

no i do not think that it is stealing.
Superbitzz

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 06:41:49 PM

I would consider it stealing. Wait some time, if the funds aren't messed with for months or years then maybe you can leave with a fat wallet and a clean conscience.
yes i think also that it is stealing, because you can return the fund easily to one who sent you accidentally and if you are not doing so, then its mean that you are really stealing the fund..
Hoor

Activity: 95

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 07:57:02 PM

yes in fact it is stealing because you can return the bitcoin to the address from which you have receive accidentally and if you are not doing so then you are real doing wrong.
Maesters1-

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 04:54:26 AM

yes in fact it is stealing because you can return the bitcoin to the address from which you have receive accidentally and if you are not doing so then you are real doing wrong.
yes if you know the person or the address from where you get the fund then it is really stealing but if yo do  not know the person then it is not stealing but you have to not use it tell some time and if the owner not fount then you can use it.
youhgt2

Activity: 124

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 07:54:13 PM

yes if you know the person or the address from where you get the fund then it is really stealing but if yo do  not know the person then it is not stealing but you have to not use it tell some time and if the owner not fount then you can use it.
yes i also agree with you that if you know about the person or address from where you get the balance ans still you are not returning it to him then it is really stealing, but if you do not know abut the address then it is not stealing.
fatima zuhra

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 09:32:46 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2016, 03:53:32 AM by fatima zuhra

if you got some fund from an unknown address accidentally its ok you not stolen the fund but you are going returning it from where you got then it is really stealing.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: