Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:44:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: For everybody who is considering selling - Quote from Jesse Livermore  (Read 3461 times)
AbsoluteZero (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:19:01 PM

"It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight! It is no trick at all to be right on the market. You always find lots of early bulls in bull markets and early bears in bear markets. I've known many men who were right at exactly the right time, and began buying or selling stocks when prices were at the very level which should show the greatest profit. And their experience invariably matched mine--that is, they made no real money out of it.
Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon.
"

So do not be so smart and just sit tight.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ehoffman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:20:18 PM

+1 on that  Smiley

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:21:21 PM

It's worked for me so far.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:29:07 PM

+1 Paper wallet really helps with the sitting tight part. One caveat, though, is that Livermore ended up committing suicide, and penniless. Brilliant trader, but he had poor risk management.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:33:37 PM

Brilliant trader, but he had poor risk management.

What an understatement. :-)

I've been meaning to re-read Reminiscences of a Stock Operator. Great read.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:47:36 PM

Brilliant trader, but he had poor risk management.

What an understatement. :-)

I've been meaning to re-read Reminiscences of a Stock Operator. Great read.

Yes, that book is a must read for any serious trader/investor. I loved reading about the old "bucket shops."
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:56:49 PM

Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon."

It's hard to do nothing and sit on your hands when there's so much action going on in the Bitcoin-sphere.
mr chong

Activity: 78

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:20:42 PM

I think I will continue to follow proudhon's advice, he is by far the most accurate financial analyst in world history even though he does not technically follow his own advice.
KTE

Activity: 69

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:22:06 PM

It's worked for me so far.

Likewise.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 06:26:17 PM

Livermore explained some of the methods he used to buy and sell stocks. One of his methods was to buy as soon as a stock made a new high, which he said will almost certainly bring him profits. Later, he elaborates: “I have often said that to buy on a rising market is the most comfortable way of buying stocks. Now, the point is not so much to buy as cheap as possible or go short at top prices, but to buy or sell at the right time.” He adds that he scales into or out of a stock as it rises or falls.

Livermore closely studied prices for clues to market direction. “Prices, as we know, will either move up or down according to the resistance they encounter. For purposes of easy explanation we will say that prices, like everything else, move along the line of least resistance.”

He warns, however, that although this method sounds easy, you always have to guard against your natural impulses: fear; hope; greed, and, most important, a swelled head.
bpd

Activity: 114

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:26:24 PM

Heh, I was going to post this exact same quote last night. Definitely a must-read book.

Offline wallets + simply deleting your MtGox account help tremendously.
mooseman99

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:51:42 PM

There have been so many times this past month I've said "Man, $40/$50/$60 is definitely the upper limit.  I should sell now and buy back in when its cheaper" but I sat on my bitcoins and it's worked so far.
goldlyre

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:08:06 PM

Yeah, just as my signature says: Buy & hold Bitcoin is the best policy.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:32:44 PM

A counterpoint:

When few want to sell because they expect the price to climb further, the market is sure to overshoot. So when people say "fools sell", what they are thinking is "I hope I catch the top".

This rally will peak and correct sooner or later. I don't know when, nor how far down it will correct. I doubt anyone else does, either. Given that uncertainty, I don't see how taking some profits is such a bad idea, if it helps you sleep better at night.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:37:48 PM

I don't see how taking some profits is such a bad idea, if it helps you sleep better at night.

Nah: either I wake up rich as a Saudi prince, or destitute. No half measures.
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 09:39:23 PM

Just for the paper wallet part. I split my coins into several paper wallets and dug these into earth like treasure chests Cheesy I also installed some bear traps nearby, just in case.. no kidding, don't go searching.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:04:21 PM

There have been so many times this past month I've said "Man, $40/$50/$60 is definitely the upper limit.  I should sell now and buy back in when its cheaper" but I sat on my bitcoins and it's worked so far.

Same here. Even now, I'm thinking we will have a good sized pullback before breaching $75, but who knows.
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:22:58 PM

+1 Paper wallet really helps with the sitting tight part. One caveat, though, is that Livermore ended up committing suicide, and penniless. Brilliant trader, but he had poor risk management.

Indeed, sitting tight is required to become considerably richer. But sitting tight is also a way to the poorhouse. 

Hence why I find the 'sit tight' strategy lacking a crucial part, ie: risk management.

Meaning, never risk it all, but do risk some.

Or sit tight - until - it becomes a too large percentage of your capital.

Or, lock in some profits for a 'rainy day'.

I argued this in more detail here.

But agreed with the OP his argument: the best way to speculate in bitcoin is to sit tight. Very difficult indeed.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:30:45 AM

This reminds me of a jim rogers quote:

"I just wait until there is money around the corner, and all I have to do is go over there and pick it up. I do nothing in the meantime."

Basically you will see the opportunity and when you do...it will be as easy as walking over and picking up the money laying on the ground.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:59:29 AM

Everyone should read this book. What I want is suggestions for other books of common ilk.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: