Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:42:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternate cryptocurrencies child board: Bitcoin and alternate cryptocurrencies  (Read 834 times)
amincd (OP)

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:11:15 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2013, 11:22:12 PM by amincd

I notice a few altcoin promoters make a lot of threads in the main bitcoin discussion board mentioning both bitcoin and one of the altcoins, usually litecoin, and I think they make it relate to bitcoin to try to keep their thread from being moved to the 'Alternate cryptocurrencies' childboard, so that they can promote the new blockchain to mainstream bitcoin users.

I think it's fine if people want to promote an altcoin, but doing it in a bitcoin discussion board isn't appropriate, given it's an attempt to cannibalize bitcoin users, and if successful, would reduce the integrity of the scarcity of the bitcoin-like-currency money supply.

Therefore, I want to suggest creating a new child board in the Alternate cryptocurrencies section called 'Bitcoin and alternate cryptocurrencies', and moving those types of threads to them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 12:48:23 PM

The "alternate cryptocurrencies" sub-board has been around for a good deal of time, yes? Probably considerably longer than I've been on Bitcointalk? Although I've been a regular user of this forum for some months, I discovered Litecoin via BTC-e, oddly enough, not on here first.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
LeTanque

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

Fortune favors the bold and brave

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 10:24:18 PM

I notice a few altcoin promoters make a lot of threads in the main bitcoin discussion board mentioning both bitcoin and one of the altcoins, usually litecoin, and I think they make it relate to bitcoin to try to keep their thread from being moved to the 'Alternate cryptocurrencies' childboard, so that they can promote the new blockchain to mainstream bitcoin users.

I think it's fine if people want to promote an altcoin, but doing it in a bitcoin discussion board isn't appropriate, given it's an attempt to cannibalize bitcoin users, and if successful, would reduce the integrity of the scarcity of the bitcoin-like-currency money supply.

Therefore, I want to suggest creating a new child board in the Alternate cryptocurrencies section called 'Bitcoin and alternate cryptocurrencies', and moving those types of threads to them.

Why couldn't other altcoins exist concurrent with bitcoin?

"It is a mistake to suppose that any technological innovation has a one-sided effect. Every technology is both a burden and a blessing; not either-or, but this-and-that." -Neil Postman Technopoly
1FooDLuTYk782GQNrY7zY1obTc4ceUfj5t
amincd (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 10:15:32 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 10:28:32 PM by amincd

Quote from: nobbynobbynoob
The "alternate cryptocurrencies" sub-board has been around for a good deal of time, yes?

It's been around for one or two years, I don't know exactly.

Quote from: LaTanque
Why couldn't other altcoins exist concurrent with bitcoin?

It's in the interest of the bitcoin community to only promote one blockchain based on bitcoin software. Promoting an endless number of blockchains with virtually identical software is the same as ignoring the 21 million coin limit.

To the extent that this happens, the appeal of all bitcoin-like-currency is reduced because the perceived scarcity of the coins diminishes, and I think this hurts growth in the total market cap.

It has the added disadvantage of fragmenting the network, making it less useful to each individual.
amincd (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:59:58 AM

Another example of marketing the litecoin copycat coins in the bitcoin forum:

Best Cold Storage Methods For LTC and BTC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: