Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 05:11:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase now supports Etherium; Is this a threat to Bitcoin dominance  (Read 4786 times)
Dark.Angel

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 09:13:51 AM

It is a good news, I using Coinbase, after Coinbase create etherium wallet, I hope can exchange or convert from BTC-ETH.
lixer

Activity: 2534
Merit: 586

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 12:50:21 PM

Bitcoin community is larger than Ethereum. It would only become a threat IF and only if bitcoin users are actually switching to eth. But in fact, I think this might help the bitcoin dominance since some eth users are switching to btc.

isvicre

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 12:55:57 PM

Bitcoin community is larger than Ethereum. It would only become a threat IF and only if bitcoin users are actually switching to eth. But in fact, I think this might help the bitcoin dominance since some eth users are switching to btc.
Do you really believe anyone has discovered eth first and will then switch to btc?  Everybody involved in crypto has or is involved with btc. Its the main coin,  now ans for the foreseeable future.
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 12:59:28 PM

No not all i guess it may be a good sign for etherium users but a treat to bitcoin is i guess far from reality bitcoin has established its name for long time
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 01:22:44 PM

Not really. Although Coinbase does a ton of transactions via its platform everyday, unless the merchant is actually accepting ETH, which I haven't seen that much of, bitcoin will still be the dominant coin. As slim as bitcoin adoption is, ETH adoption is arguably worse.  Coinbase may increase the trading volume on ETH a bit, but that's all.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 01:25:43 PM

Etherum have quite good capital behind it - around 18 millions USD, so it can really make competition to Bitcoin.  Wink
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 02:08:21 PM

It is a good news, I using Coinbase, after Coinbase create etherium wallet, I hope can exchange or convert from BTC-ETH.

it is never a good idea to keep your coins in the hands of others. and it is important to remember that as long as you don't have the private keys you don't own the coins.
so do your exchange at coinbase and withdraw to your wallet desktop or offline.
but i guess if you have small amount of BTC like 0.01 then it is ok to keep them there.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Doamader

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 02:23:43 PM

Since the begining of Etherium peopls speculating it to be the next bitcoin, it may happen, atleast eth has a huge volume daily, bigger then bitcoin these days, for me coinbase were wondering why just bitcoin when eth has soo big value and top altcoin being traded above bitcoin transactions. They need to be fair bitcoin is growing, but eth is borning at the moment.
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 02:27:04 PM

Not really. Although Coinbase does a ton of transactions via its platform everyday, unless the merchant is actually accepting ETH, which I haven't seen that much of, bitcoin will still be the dominant coin. As slim as bitcoin adoption is, ETH adoption is arguably worse.  Coinbase may increase the trading volume on ETH a bit, but that's all.

Exactly.
Unless someone actually starts taking payments in ETH, it will just be another pump and dump scheme.
If any website does start taking payments, someone stands to make a lot of money.
For now the only ones getting rich are the owners of the exchanges.

sana54210
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1128

"CoinPoker.com"

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 07:27:00 PM

Since the begining of Etherium peopls speculating it to be the next bitcoin, it may happen, atleast eth has a huge volume daily, bigger then bitcoin these days, for me coinbase were wondering why just bitcoin when eth has soo big value and top altcoin being traded above bitcoin transactions. They need to be fair bitcoin is growing, but eth is borning at the moment.
Eth may have bigger volume than bitcoins everyday, but that's it.
They are profitable at the moment but I do not seem to see a good future in eth since the adoption is really bad and eth has a lot of issues like fake volumes.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 07:45:36 PM

Exactly.
Unless someone actually starts taking payments in ETH, it will just be another pump and dump scheme.

It's a couple of clicks away for Coinbase to set themselves up as a payment processor for ETH. All the infrastructure's there and as they get more and more dug in to their position they probably will. A gift card site I use has been doing cards for ETH for quite some time.

If I had vast ETH gains I'd love to splurge some of it shopping. But I would've done that with BTC already.
bjman

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 08:14:43 PM

I don't understand why the ETH people would even want it to be used as money--it's supposed to be 'fuel' for their apps. If the price goes up a lot then it becomes very expensive to run apps in their platform.
Cybertron00

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 08:26:43 PM

I don't understand why the ETH people would even want it to be used as money--it's supposed to be 'fuel' for their apps. If the price goes up a lot then it becomes very expensive to run apps in their platform.
Well man ETH people want it to be used as money because of one reason and I guess you already know this. They want it to be used as money because they will profit if it becomes very expensive. Well I don't think that Ethereum is not a threat to bitcoin dominance since it is just another altcoin but there's a slim chance of it being on par with bitcoin in the future if ETH will continue to show good improvements.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 08:34:53 PM

Open up coindesk or cointelegraph these days and you will find mostly ethereum articles and brainwashing information about it, speculation of
next train and so on.. Now coinbase too,. as soon as you login, BOOM do you want to buy ETH ?! We support ETH now.. Buy ETH now ?!
I really hope people see past these facts and obviously paid articles and avoid it in a wide circle. ETH will never be a threat to bitcoin.

"ETH - why is this still a thing ?!"

takingthis4

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 08:42:01 PM

well to be honest eth is good currency, why they shouldnt use it? i think you can use it the same just like bitcoins if you do some shopping so thats not a trouble

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
bjman

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 10:17:03 PM

well to be honest eth is good currency, why they shouldnt use it? i think you can use it the same just like bitcoins if you do some shopping so thats not a trouble

How can it be a 'good' currency if the supply is essentially unlimited? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I thought ETH does not have a hard limit set for the total # of ETH like bitcoin does?

BJ
Lionidas

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 10:19:49 PM

I just saw that they have included a eth wallet now and you can even buy it from them.
I think that means it is was not just a phase for it to make it's appearance known but it is now here to stay. Grin
Doamader

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 11:04:18 PM

Eth has assumed ltc place and is currently the silver crypto, it has potencial to grow and several whales on it, making some thousands of dollars every day. Replace bitcoin can not be soo strong for do that, but its volume even if fake its very huge 20000 bitcoins these days are out of imagination.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8439

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2016, 11:52:20 PM

Heavily pre-mined (80%-ish currently), endlessly inflationary, 'cryptocurrency' which doesn't even provide ledger immutability...

Barbut

Activity: 1694
Merit: 502

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 11:57:04 PM

Its ok for some other coin except bitcoin to show some progress, I think this just shows that some alt coins can have future, maybe not so big like btc, but they will be present on market.
For me this good thing, we can discuss about it how big role can have other currencies in the future, but progress of any currency will affect positive on other alts. This is how I see the future, with many alt coins and bitcoin on the top.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███