Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:47:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about lost coins?  (Read 961 times)
Chopes (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:53:59 AM

Hey,

Just got done backing up my wallet to a USB drive and I had a question. Suppose someone misplaced the file or lost it or whatnot, the coins that were in the account now are gone, right? So how would these coins be eventually recycled into the system if they no longer 'exist' at this point? Again, not looking for support, just a general noob question.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BRFYUNMouJUvKjJAa1Nxpcj1N96ox3ibJZ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IamFuzzles

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:55:09 AM

Just lost.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#But_if_no_more_coins_are_generated,_what_happens_when_Bitcoins_are_lost?_Won_t_that_be_a_problem?
Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:56:52 AM

So everytime someone loses their wallet everyone becomes a little richer...
jondecker76

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:57:39 AM

yep, lost forever..  Supply and demand will absorb the value of the lost BTC into the remaining ones though.

RollerBot Advanced Trading Platform
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=447727.0
BTC Donations for development: 1H36oTJsi3adFh68wwzz95tPP2xoAoTmhC
IamFuzzles

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:58:58 AM

But at the same rate, keeping the ratio consistent, meaning nothing. I believe. Not great with economics here.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:01:08 AM

yep, lost forever..  Supply and demand will absorb the value of the lost BTC into the remaining ones though.

it is a major problem though for end users. perhaps a form of wallet insurance can be created. pay a monthly
fee to insure it. i assume that if you reported it lost one can look at some type of public history to determine
just how much was lost and the insurer would cover it?

just brain storming. i bet there is quite a few holes in the idea. fraud for one.
BiggieJohn

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:03:01 AM

you can also use a service like mybitcoin.com
but then you have to trust them to not lose it for you.

PMC-1A11eCF2Rzqzy4PCrV9jabYv1fvYfmN2yc
Doge-D8KLtphcSB3qAkfjBdvceEMj9TJUiJrFd3
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:06:06 AM

you can also use a service like mybitcoin.com
but then you have to trust them to not lose it for you.

and if they did lose it can you sue them?
do they have insurance?

funny how bitcoins will require everything we are used to before bitcoin was created.
Valalvax

Activity: 437

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:09:45 AM

But at the same rate, keeping the ratio consistent, meaning nothing. I believe. Not great with economics here.

I don't think so

You have Bob, Dick, Jane, Sue, and Dave

They each have 20% of the market

Dick gets drunk and drops his wallet into the sewar

Dick has 0% of the market, everyone else now has 25% of the market, now Sue hangs out with Dick and he punches her and steals her wallet, but loses it the same way... what an idiot... everyone now has 33% of the market, except for Dick and Sue...

I mean, obviously we're not working with whole percentages here... but same idea... and yea, the /entire/ market will increase in value, but that doesn't matter if you're selling your coins for cash... I don't think *scratches head*
IamFuzzles

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:11:38 AM

I don't think so

You have Bob, Dick, Jane, Sue, and Dave

They each have 20% of the market

Dick gets drunk and drops his wallet into the sewar

Dick has 0% of the market, everyone else now has 25% of the market, now Sue hangs out with Dick and he punches her and steals her wallet, but loses it the same way... what an idiot... everyone now has 33% of the market, except for Dick and Sue...

I mean, obviously we're not working with whole percentages here... but same idea... and yea, the /entire/ market will increase in value, but that doesn't matter if you're selling your coins for cash... I don't think *scratches head*

Touche. Yeah, that should have been obvious.
deadon

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:13:57 AM

interesting
oztusk

Activity: 327

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 01:45:47 AM

finally there will be 3 satoshi left,...
i am going to use it to buy the moon...
i threw away a few satosh..
all of the wallets malfunction or are writ by scatterbrained coders, i guess,.. or what?

<<<   "MY DOG ATE YOUR BITCOIN"..mtGox - - "MY DOG IS EATING YOUR BITCOIN"...Antpool - - "We were drinking espresso with shots of vodka at this little cafe. My laptop was on the table. This big dog came up behind us and,.. and..." ...nicehash     ANTMINER is currently servicing 20-30% of the entire network hash rate. Enenatis. Quis interdum ac, aliquet nec est. www.bitmaintech.com Euismod risus sed, venenatis tellus. Aliquam vel. Spontaneous emission is not inherent to an emitter, but rather depends on its electromagnetic environment.        "THE DOG ATE YOUR BITCOIN"..mtGox
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: