Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:13:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoin get the ability to implement reversible transactions?  (Read 2139 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:12:06 PM

As of now, (and it has always been) Bitcoin transactions are irreversible meaning that there is no way to get them back (in case of a scam) unless the recipient decides to send those coins back to its original owner. (sort of like refunds)

But, I was thinking of the possibility that Bitcoin may get reversible transactions in the future, in order to prevent scams, fraud, etc. Do you think that such thing will ever exist or what would be the consequences?  Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:13:35 PM

No. Irreversible transaction are here to prevent scams too. The consequences would be people would cease to use Bitcoin. If transactions were reversible, the currency couldn't even be called Bitcoin anymore.
chrisLG

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:13:41 PM

No. That is going to be implemented on top of bitcoin.
th3nolo

Activity: 1232
Merit: 669

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:18:50 PM

reversible transactions can be used for scam I guess  Cry, someone send you btc and then refund when you already give the goods.
thats why i think is very hard for reversible transactions.

the real problem is about how to detect frauds however when you invest there is always a risk associated if you expect to make a profit.

▄██▄
   ▄██▄      ▀█▀▀     ▄██▄
   ▀██▀▄  ▄▄█████▄▄  ▐███▀
       ███████████████
      ████████▀▄▄▄▀████
 ▄▄  ▐███▀▄▀██▄▀▀▀▄█████  ▄▄
████▀█████▄███▀▀█████ ██▀████
 ▀▀  ▐███▄███ ██ ████ █▌  ▀▀
      ▀████▄██▄▄███▀▄█▀
    ▄▄ █▀██████▀▄▄▄█▀█ ▄▄
   ████▀   ▀▀▀█▀▀▀   ▐████
    ▀▀       ▄██▄      ▀▀
             ▀██▀
⟩ ⟩ ⟩             ▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █▄
 █           ▀▀▀  █
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▄
█ ▄▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀█ █
█ █ █       █    █ ▄
█ █ ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    █ █
█ █ ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄ █ █
█ █ █   █  ██  █ █ █
█ █ ▄▀▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀ █ █
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
⟩ ⟩ ⟩       ▄████▄  ▄████▄
      ████████████████
      ████████████████
       ██████████████
        ▀██████████▀
██        ▀██████▀        ██
██▌   ▄            ▄   ▐██
███  ███▄          ▄███  ███
▀███▄ ▀███▄      ▄███▀ ▄███▀
  ▀████████      ████████▀
     ▀████▀      ▀████▀
     ▄   ▄▄      ▄▄   ▄
     ▀█████      █████▀
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:20:45 PM

reversible transactions can be used for scam I guess  Cry, someone send you btc and then refund when you already give the goods.

the real problem is about how to detect frauds however when you invest there is always a risk associated if you expect to make a profit.

Maybe that is why Bitcoin is very similar to cash (fiat), but still cash can be refunded (reversible) whereas Bitcoin not. Anyways, I think that it is not that important since there is always the ability to use escrow services before conducting a transaction.  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Doubler Disburser 232515

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:32:32 PM

As of now, (and it has always been) Bitcoin transactions are irreversible meaning that there is no way to get them back (in case of a scam) unless the recipient decides to send those coins back to its original owner. (sort of like refunds)

But, I was thinking of the possibility that Bitcoin may get reversible transactions in the future, in order to prevent scams, fraud, etc. Do you think that such thing will ever exist or what would be the consequences?  Smiley

That whole notion is riddled with paradoxes - The very fact that BitCoin doesn't have a mechanism to reverse a transaction is what prevents scamming, same with cash, the only way you can get my cash is to rob me - that's theft, not scamming.

Telling PayPal or some other online vendor that your account was hacked into and could they please reverse that transaction?  That's a scam (and is theft too).
th3nolo

Activity: 1232
Merit: 669

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:33:28 PM

Maybe that is why Bitcoin is very similar to cash (fiat), but still cash can be refunded (reversible) whereas Bitcoin not. Anyways, I think that it is not that important since there is always the ability to use escrow services before conducting a transaction.  Smiley

accurate for electronic changes should always use escrow services and we avoid bad experiences.

I made a deal long ago forum for a gift card without escrow service and does not know the panic I had though was not much money for me it was enough.

▄██▄
   ▄██▄      ▀█▀▀     ▄██▄
   ▀██▀▄  ▄▄█████▄▄  ▐███▀
       ███████████████
      ████████▀▄▄▄▀████
 ▄▄  ▐███▀▄▀██▄▀▀▀▄█████  ▄▄
████▀█████▄███▀▀█████ ██▀████
 ▀▀  ▐███▄███ ██ ████ █▌  ▀▀
      ▀████▄██▄▄███▀▄█▀
    ▄▄ █▀██████▀▄▄▄█▀█ ▄▄
   ████▀   ▀▀▀█▀▀▀   ▐████
    ▀▀       ▄██▄      ▀▀
             ▀██▀
⟩ ⟩ ⟩             ▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █▄
 █           ▀▀▀  █
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▄
█ ▄▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀█ █
█ █ █       █    █ ▄
█ █ ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    █ █
█ █ ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄ █ █
█ █ █   █  ██  █ █ █
█ █ ▄▀▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀ █ █
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
⟩ ⟩ ⟩       ▄████▄  ▄████▄
      ████████████████
      ████████████████
       ██████████████
        ▀██████████▀
██        ▀██████▀        ██
██▌   ▄            ▄   ▐██
███  ███▄          ▄███  ███
▀███▄ ▀███▄      ▄███▀ ▄███▀
  ▀████████      ████████▀
     ▀████▀      ▀████▀
     ▄   ▄▄      ▄▄   ▄
     ▀█████      █████▀
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:38:15 PM

No, no, no..... Bad idea. Reversible transactions = scams everywhere. We are already fighting with the viruses and keyloggers and scams everywhere on the internet, adding reversible transactions to BTC means we'll be scammed everywhere we go. No!
CoinBreader

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:51:20 PM

and except from reversible fund that may scammers can use when you sell the goods,service etc.
take in mind what may happen with scripts that will reverse a transaction.. sounds more messy to my ears...
Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 12:06:05 AM

This is a very stupid question. Very stupid.

One of the primary selling points of Bitcoin is that transactions are irreversible. That is one of Bitcoin's core principles. Removing its irreversibility would be changing its nature, essentially killing it. Bitcoin without irreversibility is not Bitcoin. Making transactions reversible would be akin to making candy poisonous. "Hey, what would happen if all candies became poisonous?" Stupid, STUPID question.

I can imagine an online service building a platform on top of Bitcoin which allows reversible transactions by locking withdrawals for a certain period of time, but Bitcoin itself would remain irreversible throughout that whole process.

Stupid question. One from a Senior member account too....
densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 12:10:02 AM

I think bitcoin never get ability to implement reversible transactions, because it is some beneficial of bitcoin than another payment gateway is like paypal. If it get ability to implement reversible transactions bitcoin will be leaved by users because there are not new technology and innovation in bitcoin.
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 12:16:09 AM

It's one of the features of bitcoin so it might not happen. I know there is always a possibility, but it's not close as that to be implemented. But if it does (even I think it won't), Bitcoin won't be unique anymore and will be just the same as the others, like PayPal.  The risk of receiving funds (especially for businesses) will be higher, imo. That feature of bitcoin is okay, because you yourself can choose whom you can do business with, of course, choose the people and organizations you really know and trust. Or to be safer, I agree on using escrow when doing transactions to prevent scams.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 05:16:36 AM

bitcoin is code so it may be possible to implement anything you want and create a system with reversible possibility. but it will never happen, at least it will never happen in bitcoin because one of the best features in bitcoin that makes it stand out and be better than fiat is this irreversible feature. and there is no reason for changing that.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2016, 05:40:20 AM

I doubt they will ever implement reversible transactions but if Bitcoin goes mainstream, companies will need to be able to refund customers in case of disputes. It's not going to be implemented at code level, instead processors like BitPay will probably have to update their services to enable refunds.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 12:49:17 AM

This is a very stupid question. Very stupid.

One of the primary selling points of Bitcoin is that transactions are irreversible. That is one of Bitcoin's core principles. Removing its irreversibility would be changing its nature, essentially killing it. Bitcoin without irreversibility is not Bitcoin. Making transactions reversible would be akin to making candy poisonous. "Hey, what would happen if all candies became poisonous?" Stupid, STUPID question.

I can imagine an online service building a platform on top of Bitcoin which allows reversible transactions by locking withdrawals for a certain period of time, but Bitcoin itself would remain irreversible throughout that whole process.

Stupid question. One from a Senior member account too....

Well, my rank/position does not mean that I'm very knowledgeable about Bitcoin at all. In fact, it is a learning process in which you make research, ask questions in order to grow your knowledge in an specific topic. Besides, I was only asking hypothetically as what will probably happen if Bitcoin would be this way. But other than that, I get the point. Thanks for your reply.  Wink

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Karpeles
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 01:08:08 AM

No way, it is against the Bitcoin concept. There is no way to make reversible transactions without a central authority. You may develop some service that uses blockchain and is centralized, but there are already options for it without the blockchain.

If you want reverse transactions better use paypal
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 01:14:08 AM

No way, it is against the Bitcoin concept. There is no way to make reversible transactions without a central authority. You may develop some service that uses blockchain and is centralized, but there are already options for it without the blockchain.

If you want reverse transactions better use paypal

You bet mate. Maybe this could be a reality if there was sort of like an artificial intelligence operating from within the blockchain (kind of like a smarter smart contract) that would analyse transactions and give the ability or option to reverse the transaction. But again, it is only speculation and it may never happen. Just my thoughts.  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 01:16:00 AM

Its an interesting idea, but you would need a way for both the sender and the receiver to agree to reverse the transaction.
As it is now, you can just send the coins back in a new transaction, so the only difference is the fees you would lose?
What would be the reason to reverse the transaction as opposed to sending the coins again?

gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 01:21:30 AM

I believe bitcoin can do. now shipping in the bitcoin system is very transparent. the speed of transactions so fast. make deliveries wherever you are. it is the most important point. we are just waiting for government policies that would legalize bitcoin.
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 01:25:28 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2016, 08:31:33 PM by hase0278

I think bitcoin can get the ability to implement reversible transactions but I suggest it must be done with conditions. Well the one condition that they should consider before reversing transactions is that it must be unconfirmed and let the user check the btc address they have sent btc for 10 mins to check if they send the btc to the correct address and that's it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: