Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:14:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Release - Open source software - replacing hardware wallets with image {  (Read 12596 times)
NyeFe (OP)

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 09:17:01 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2016, 06:16:01 PM by NyeFe

Official SSI Standard Thread | SSI #1 on Reddit

About

This standards uses two cryptography techniques. The first one, AES encryption 128-bits X2, 32 character hash (which locks your data), and finally Steganography (which hides your data).

In this protocol, wallets are created offline, encrypted, and stored within the pixels of an image as RGB data. This makes it impossible to know whether there's any encrypted bitcoin wallet on your computer, since they can now be storing using colours, in images.

Project Bitcoin talk

Project GitHub

Project Download

[Figure 1.0] - offline wallet generation & storage

Support us: By specifying useful, researched protocols, and open-source software implementations.

Example

For anyone looking for an example, you can download one here http://imgur.com/gallery/lgTwF
One contains no data, the other contains a wallet with 100 keys. The password to unlock the encrypted flower is: flower

Original image

flower image with a wallet, storing 100 keys

The size of the stored data is 4.22kb. The size of the original file is 1.61MB. The size of the encrypted file is 0.99MB

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gwapo

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 09:51:45 AM

So how do I decrypt the successive image that is encrypted?
Isn't this one hell of a work to encrypt an image and decrypt it summarily?

And is there any way a user can steal the private key through the image's metadata? Or does it strip all the metadata before encryption?
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2016, 09:56:40 AM

This is all in all pretty amazing. So i can now store my bitcoins in a paper picture? Or does it have to be digital only? Either way this opens up some major possibilities for stashing away those coins in hard to find places. I might have to give this a whirl with a small amount just to see how it works exactly.

NyeFe (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 09:57:18 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2016, 10:17:20 AM by NyeFe

So how do I decrypt the successive image that is encrypted?
Isn't this one hell of a work to encrypt an image and decrypt it summarily?

And is there any way a user can steal the private key through the image's metadata? Or does it strip all the metadata before encryption?

The software provides facilities to encrypt & decrypt your encrypted private key from the image. The encrypted data are not store as meta data, they are converted to 1's and 0's and added to the RGB data (colour) inside each pixel in an image (Steganography).

So in short, it increases the colour intensity, or reduces it (which is a form of storage) that can be used to store data. The best thing is, the image size should be absolutely the same!

NyeFe (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 10:09:02 AM

This is all in all pretty amazing. So i can now store my bitcoins in a paper picture? Or does it have to be digital only? Either way this opens up some major possibilities for stashing away those coins in hard to find places. I might have to give this a whirl with a small amount just to see how it works exactly.

It is great. The image has to be in a digital format. But please don't forget your password or the image you used!

We're looking at storing bitcoin wallets in audio files next, hopefully more options for stashing away bitcoin wallets will be out there

helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2016, 10:18:34 AM

It is great. The image has to be in a digital format. But please don't forget your password or the image you used!

We're looking at storing bitcoin wallets in audio files next, hopefully more options for stashing away bitcoin wallets will be out there

Im going to download it and give it a try once someone else can verify that the file is clean, No offense to yourself im sure it is but obviously better safe than sorry. Can i ask if i send a photo that has the wallet encrypted from say my pc to my phone then through various other devices will it still decrypt fine or will the picture quality degrade slightly and become unusable?  For instance if i send via whatsapp then it might resize the photo or compress it then i guess it will no longer work?

Audio files sounds awesome too, people could have bitcoins literally hidden everywhere.

NyeFe (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 10:30:29 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2016, 10:42:10 AM by NyeFe

Can i ask if i send a photo that has the wallet encrypted from say my pc to my phone then through various other devices will it still decrypt fine or will the picture quality degrade slightly and become unusable?  For instance if i send via whatsapp then it might resize the photo or compress it then i guess it will no longer work?

It all depends on how each software handles the images. Some websites purposefully degrade images to save disk-space. I don't think you'll have any problems. But if you do need validation, you can install apps such as HashStamp, then compare the image checksum to confirm that no changes has been made. I know 7zip allows you (on windows, with right-click) to check the "CRC SHA" checksum for files.

tl;dr: make sure the checksum values are verified each time you transmit the image file.

calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 11:46:03 AM

I have read about this technology before and it sounds like a really class move forward...... Grin
ibuyltc

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 12:18:06 PM

This is really cool.  This will probably be the most secure way of protecting your bitcoins without a hardware wallet until malware/hackers start to look for it.

Vinyl has been done before, though they are redesigning the website currently and have little information available on their website but the Coindesk article has much more:  

http://www.coindesk.com/new-sound-wallet-stores-private-keys-vinyl/
http://soundwallet.net/

Regardless, more competition is not a bad thing.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 12:35:21 PM

This is fantastic. The fact that im not using paper wallets it's because they are an obvious target. If someone ever finds it it's like "hey guys, there's bitcoins here! let's pick this up". If they see some irrelevant picture of a cat or something, they will never guess there's a private key there.

The question is: Can you still add a password lip BIP38 paper wallets? There's no way im getting a paper wallet of any kind unless it requests a password to unlock it.
NyeFe (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 12:43:53 PM

This is fantastic. The fact that im not using paper wallets it's because they are an obvious target. If someone ever finds it it's like "hey guys, there's bitcoins here! let's pick this up". If they see some irrelevant picture of a cat or something, they will never guess there's a private key there.

The question is: Can you still add a password lip BIP38 paper wallets? There's no way im getting a paper wallet of any kind unless it requests a password to unlock it.

Great question!

At the moment, the passwords are converted to SHA1, divided by 2 and encrypted in AES 128-bit 2-times (because we can). It only exports as .JSON file, which is what electrum and blockchain.info uses. An option to export it as an encrypted BIP38 might be added. I'm pretty much brain-dead from working on this project.

BUT! I'm excited we've managed to produce a game-changing technology for the community!

Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 01:11:15 PM

Thank you for posting this!
I've done some basic steganography and watched some presentations about it (Defcon, Blackhat etc)
It's a very interesting topic and certainly a cool technology.
I will check this out when I have some time later today.   Cool

mdotstrange

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2016, 01:56:27 PM

Amazing work- this is awesome  Smiley
jamesl22

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 03:12:29 PM

Concept is cool. But I want to try it out ASAP.
Are you hiring beta testers for testing them out and reporting any bugs/loopholes if found? Let me know because I am highly interested in it.

Btw, on a scale of 1 to 10, how secure is this going to be compared to the well known traditional paper wallets?
helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2016, 03:20:59 PM

Concept is cool. But I want to try it out ASAP.
Are you hiring beta testers for testing them out and reporting any bugs/loopholes if found? Let me know because I am highly interested in it.

Btw, on a scale of 1 to 10, how secure is this going to be compared to the well known traditional paper wallets?

By the looks of it it will be more secure than a paper wallet because you would have to know that a certain picture contains private keys.

I downloaded the file but is there anyway to make it a simple exe or installer? im not too sure how to install it at the moment but would like to give it a try.

Edit:- also a phone version would be nice in the future where i could just select an image within my phone and then decrypt it and put the bitcoins straight into my wallet for instance mycelium.

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 03:27:21 PM

Excellent work!  I haven't tried it yet but have a question:
You can load any image and your software detects if there's stenography?  Or is it based on let's say a password, then that password applies stenography techniques to pic?

What I'm getting at is can your code be modified and go through every pic on a computer and detect pics that have a wallet on them?
NyeFe (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 03:31:47 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2016, 03:42:55 PM by NyeFe

Excellent work!  I haven't tried it yet but have a question:
You can load any image and your software detects if there's stenography?  Or is it based on let's say a password, then that password applies stenography techniques to pic?

What I'm getting at is can your code be modified and go through every pic on a computer and detect pics that have a wallet on them?

Great question, the software itself (or myself for that matter) don't even know how to detect which image contains steganography data. its all based on the password, if the data decryption process fails, then thats it. Its either you know the password, know it has someone in it, or you don't.

I downloaded the file but is there anyway to make it a simple exe or installer? im not too sure how to install it at the moment but would like to give it a try.

Edit:- also a phone version would be nice in the future where i could just select an image within my phone and then decrypt it and put the bitcoins straight into my wallet for instance mycelium.

> I could introduce a package installer later. but it's pretty easy to install. Just download java, unzip the app & run it.
> A phone version would be great at least when we've added all the features that we didn't get to. It would also make it much more easy to use "on the fly"

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 03:48:02 PM

This is interesting... Have you tried to encrypt an image, print it, scan it and decrypt it? This would be epic if something like this was possible.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 04:35:09 PM

Steganography looks like a great emerging technology that may become very important in safeguarding our BTC (not to mention our freedoms).

Please keep us up to date on your efforts, you are doing great work.  Smiley  Two thumbs up!

The step after the next would be to make your software easy-to-use for us non-tekkies.
trout

Activity: 333
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 05:16:57 PM

nice work, but I'd like to add a couple of general  comments on steganography which are very important for anyone who wants to use it to store real money.

First of all, steganography for now is  not nearly on the same level of security as cryptography.  In fact, *every* steganographic method can be broken with currently available stegoanalitic methods(which are typically statistical methods).  The only question is whether there is enough data, but practical amounts are sufficient (no astronomical figures like in crypto).
While it is easy to hide something in an image so that the image with hidden data looks the same to a human eye, it is so far practically impossible to hide anything from statistical analysis methods.

The only practical use of steganography is obfuscation. If you want to hide the fact that you are storing private keys on a machine from someone who is not too much intent on finding them, then it's useful. Otherwise it's not.  For example, a security agent at the border which decides to do a "random" Check of your laptop will probably not find anything. If there was a "tip off" on you - then they probably will.

Another note: these methods are typically very sensitive to any change in the image such as rescaling, change of resolution, not to mention printing/ scanning etc. Be careful and check in advance how much destortion the steganographic method is designed to handle (typically - no distortion).

The above are just general considerations, I didn't check which methods OP used. (Besides, there are off-the-shlef stego methods which you can use to hide any files, not only wallets/ private keys.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: