Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:54:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Round #5] Final Testing Release Before Armory v0.88  (Read 6397 times)
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:48:22 PM

The latest release is still not working for me, and the log file is pretty much the same. What can I do?

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:51:29 PM

The latest release is still not working for me, and the log file is pretty much the same. What can I do?

Gah, I forgot about you.  There should be more information in there this time.  I added a bunch of good debugging output. 

Can you remind me what is wrong?  And send me the log file again, just in case it did catch something new.  Thanks for being so patient.  I'll figure it out!

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
fabrizziop

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 02:18:45 AM

Gah, I forgot about you.  There should be more information in there this time.  I added a bunch of good debugging output. 

Can you remind me what is wrong?  And send me the log file again, just in case it did catch something new.  Thanks for being so patient.  I'll figure it out!

Hey, for me it isn't working, as soon as I run it it closes, and if I click to see the details of the crash it points to msvcr90.dll , I have it installed and everything.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 02:20:06 AM

Ack, I forgot to mention (and it will be at the top of the release notes):

Windows users must uninstall the previous version before installing this new one.  If you've already installed the new version, reinstall/repair it.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
fabrizziop

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 02:24:36 AM

Ack, I forgot to mention (and it will be at the top of the release notes):

Windows users must uninstall the previous version before installing this new one.  If you've already installed the new version, reinstall/repair it.

Oh wow, that worked, had to fully remove and install. Nice to see someone so dedicated to create the best bitcoin wallet for power users.

PD: I was having problems with the 0.87.2 version, most times when I tried to do a transaction Armory gave a runtime error as soon as I entered the wallet password and hit enter. I tried reinstalling/ deleting mempool, with no improvement. Weird enough, the latest beta (this one) fixed my issue.
picobit

Activity: 547

Decor in numeris

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:49:09 PM

A minor buglet:

The time estimate when loading the block chain is completely off.  It takes 2-3 min to load, most of the time it estimates the remaining time to 18 min.  This is undoubtedly because it only uses the number of block files read to make the estimate, but since I upgraded the Satoshi client from 0.7 to 0.8 I have three huge files, and around 15 small ones after that one.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 03:17:03 PM

A minor buglet:

The time estimate when loading the block chain is completely off.  It takes 2-3 min to load, most of the time it estimates the remaining time to 18 min.  This is undoubtedly because it only uses the number of block files read to make the estimate, but since I upgraded the Satoshi client from 0.7 to 0.8 I have three huge files, and around 15 small ones after that one.

Worse is full-blockchain-download estimator.  Those things are tough to do right!  I had to cap it at 8 hours to avoid it saying "187 years" when the download pauses.  I have all these ideas to improve it, but I have also spent an unfortunate amount of time dealing with it already. 

The 0.7 thing will go away over time, especially with forced upgrades to 0.8.1.  I won't stress too much about it.  Though I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to actually look at the size of those blockfiles...

But even that will become irrelevant when I get the persistent blockchain stuff (coming soon!)

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 01:04:59 AM

Whoops!  I accidentally changed the makefile, and the Linux installers didn't work on systems with python2.7.  I have repackaged them and posted them to the top post.

jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:41:35 AM

https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/commit/e0bcd9db6fe2e459c5d01290655e83e9632a36ab

Thanks for fixing the problem. However, why would you want to reduce the timeout from 0.01s to 0.001s? Would there be any noticeable difference?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 04:25:06 PM

Thanks for fixing the problem. However, why would you want to reduce the timeout from 0.01s to 0.001s? Would there be any noticeable difference?

That check happens in the main thread, which means it blocks until it's done.  That means the GUI will be unresponsive for up to 0.01s on each call.  If this function was called every 0.1 seconds, the interface would be jittery and laggy.  It's not called that often, but in the future I might want to... 

So, I want the value as low as possible unless I want to go through the hassle of somehow multithreading it.  Since it's localhost, I figured 0.001s was more than enough time anyway.  And I was right... for all systems except Windows Server 2008, apparently...

Oh well.  I reverted it back to 0.01s, which isn't a problem when it's called at most once-per-second, and I'm sure it will have minimal impact.  I just have to be careful if I want to increase that frequency. 

jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:30:00 PM

That check happens in the main thread, which means it blocks until it's done.  That means the GUI will be unresponsive for up to 0.01s on each call.  If this function was called every 0.1 seconds, the interface would be jittery and laggy.  It's not called that often, but in the future I might want to... 

So, I want the value as low as possible unless I want to go through the hassle of somehow multithreading it.  Since it's localhost, I figured 0.001s was more than enough time anyway.  And I was right... for all systems except Windows Server 2008, apparently...

Oh well.  I reverted it back to 0.01s, which isn't a problem when it's called at most once-per-second, and I'm sure it will have minimal impact.  I just have to be careful if I want to increase that frequency. 

Not sure if it is the problem of all Windows Server 2008 R2 or just my own problem. You may try, let say, reduce it to 0.005s and see if it works on my system

fabrizziop

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:01:49 AM

Hey, I think you should fix that!. Where I placed the red circle/ellipse thingy, I think the text should be fully centered (to allow seeing the decimals without wasting the space) instead of starting on the middle like it is currently. What do you think?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 03:28:10 AM

Hey, I think you should fix that!. Where I placed the red circle/ellipse thingy, I think the text should be fully centered (to allow seeing the decimals without wasting the space) instead of starting on the middle like it is currently. What do you think?

Yeh, I guess I could bring it in a little bit.  The goal is to make sure the decimal place is lined up for all rows, so that 112.5 doesn't "look the same" as 1.125.  For that, I need to reserve some space on the left side.  But I agree, there's probably too much there.

madmax_ger

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:31:37 PM

the link doesn't work for me  Undecided

EDIT: loaded from website

EDIT2: you were faster. thanks anyway Smiley

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out!next difficulty + time leftcustomizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements device lead timeupdate: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 11:33:10 PM

I removed it because it's no longer a testing release!  It's now available on the BitcoinArmory download page.

It doesn't work for everyone.  But if it does work for you, it seems to be flawless.  Otherwise it won't even start.  Good luck! Smiley

madmax_ger

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:36:46 PM

btw. is it possible to get some data from armory via RPC/API?

I would like to check balances of my paper wallets without blockchain.info via such an API.

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out!next difficulty + time leftcustomizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements device lead timeupdate: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 11:39:13 PM

I would like to check balances of my paper wallets without blockchain.info via such an API.

I created "armoryd" which is included, but it's extremely minimal.  I was waiting for some of the stability issues to go away before expanding it any more.  But it will run for multiple days at a time before crashing, so it may still be useful for some low-importance activities Smiley  (the crashing is an artifact of the way it tracks the blk*.dat files, which is going away with the upcoming update).

madmax_ger

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:46:15 PM

I created "armoryd" which is included, but it's extremely minimal.  I was waiting for some of the stability issues to go away before expanding it any more.  But it will run for multiple days at a time before crashing, so it may still be useful for some low-importance activities Smiley  (the crashing is an artifact of the way it tracks the blk*.dat files, which is going away with the upcoming update).

appreciated Smiley thank you. I will check and repost on news

madmax_ger

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 12:33:17 AM

it doesnt start  Cry

i'll stay in stand by for new versions Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: