Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:58:48 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Banks are researching the usage of private Block Chains, and not Ethereum's  (Read 1264 times)
sbtctalk (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 05:14:32 AM

I have been reading how the concept of Ethereum could fuel the future technology needs such as smart contracts. But i came across an article that assessed how such technology could be used by banks but they will be having their internal private blockchain, and not attached to public ones.

Ethereum is essentially a massive research project that paved the way. Eventually, big organisations will be using Ethereum concept for their own needs by setting up private blockchains.

http://qz.com/730004/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-ethereum-hard-fork/

13Sk3gsQ1ogrzmyt3xMVvByxcUvZr98kKN
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 05:19:12 AM

I don't think technology has anything to do with eth because eth is just a brand name to buy and sell and to profit while technology
used can be used in other ways without having anything to do with eth.
serjent05
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 1258

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 04:46:58 PM

I have been reading how the concept of Ethereum could fuel the future technology needs such as smart contracts. But i came across an article that assessed how such technology could be used by banks but they will be having their internal private blockchain, and not attached to public ones.

Ethereum is essentially a massive research project that paved the way. Eventually, big organisations will be using Ethereum concept for their own needs by setting up private blockchains.

If i am a bank, why should I use Ethereum?  I can design far more sophisticated technology than them Cheesy.  The problem is that we are understimating the programmers and coders of this big company.  FYI, they already established their reputation in this field reason why their skills had been used by this big company.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 05:20:30 PM

The only thing that private blockchains will not have is the "decentralization". This is one single feature of bitcoin that is far better. Eth is just a alt-coin to me.
Caladonian

Activity: 1302
Merit: 540

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 05:26:06 PM

If i am a bank, why should I use Ethereum?  I can design far more sophisticated technology than them Cheesy.  The problem is that we are understimating the programmers and coders of this big company.  FYI, they already established their reputation in this field reason why their skills had been used by this big company.
that's correct why use a system that you are not familiar with, if bank will ride to use block chain i guess they will create their own coin
as they can pay the programmers to assure that the business would not be ruin by people behind eth.
jukka

Activity: 259

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 05:52:45 PM

you can use ethereum to host private block chain. e.g. microsoft has that in their cloud offering.
sbtctalk (OP)

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 06:14:48 PM

you can use ethereum to host private block chain. e.g. microsoft has that in their cloud offering.

and an ETH hardfork would mess up Microsoft's private block chain.

13Sk3gsQ1ogrzmyt3xMVvByxcUvZr98kKN
CoinBreader

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 07:11:00 PM

well all these years we have seen that banks dont like to make anyone rich, so why use Ether or X coin blockchain ?
they will pay their dev to make it happen, setting up their own pools and here they are,
it a hard part to pull a bank (officialy ) on a public blockchain, because there will be easy money & profit for other people, and banks like making profits just for their stash..
and last but not least they will have to support that X blockchain , mining power, price, searching for bugs, imagine the drama if a bank was on Ether then DAO drama..!  Cheesy
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 07:20:27 PM

so what we have heard this all before, the benefits of blockcahins are all done away with when you make them private and centralised
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 07:26:38 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about the talent levels of bank vs crypto. some people here have been working on it for five or more years now. you can't magic that skill out of thin air and you can't dump a totally new type of software development on your existing staff and expect them to make a work of genius. way easier to poach from elsewhere and steer them the way you want them to go.

crypto's running before it can walk. I don't think any bank or large organisation is going to implement smart contracts any time soon. even when you put aside the tech challenges, you can't throw away existing legalities. a dumb blockchain is far more likely.

angaper

Activity: 966
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 08:20:07 PM

Well, digital technology is permanently evolving and it is perfectly valid that larger financial organizations are continuously looking for more advanced systems to improve their security measures and make their transactions more efficient and cheaper. Several banks are testing the blockchain, but also can test some features of ethereum or other cryptocurrencies, as well as develop their own protocols because they have the sufficient resources to do it.
jukka

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 06:44:07 AM

and an ETH hardfork would mess up Microsoft's private block chain.

why would it? if i run my own private chain it doesnt matter what happens in the public chain!
rphk

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:04:45 AM

yes bank can use their own private block chain , as banks are having established infrastructure and resources to develop  new technologies , bank always wants an easiest and secured way  to have access their banking sites also  so that their customers will have easy access to banking on their accounts Smiley

_____________________EBCOIN_____________________      █ █   WHITEPAPER  █ █     JOIN TOKEN SALE  >  Feb 1st, 2018 - Feb 14th, 2018
The Best Gift for Travelers           ◢◢      Your Gateway to a $60 Billion Dollar Global Market      ◤◤
▬▬▬▬                FACEBOOK                 TWITTER                 SLACK                 MEDIUM                 TELEGRAM               ▬▬▬▬
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:31:30 AM

I think banks will not care much about the name of the assets like bitcoin/ethereum blockchain. They will just develop their private blockchain and can add whatever feature they like to add on that blockchain. They will be using blockchain for better security as well as for better speed in transaction.

groll

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:41:06 AM

Ethereum is one of the nicest currency I am using. It has a big potential like bitcoin. But banks using ethereum is impossible. Probably banks will focus on putting up a sites wherein you can save your bitcoins in your wallet. Aside from that you can sell them your bitcoins in exchange for cash with a fee. You can also exchange your money to bitcoins with just one click. Everything is linked to your account. That way they are earning through surcharges and other fees. They will focus on bitcoins and deal with buy and sell including loans.

severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:45:04 AM

This might look like a basic question and I'm sorry I have to ask, but it really is not clear to me:
What use do banks have from an own blockchain? They have their centralized servers, isn't that a better solution for them?
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2016, 08:54:49 AM

in my opinion that is a worthless article that is trying so hard to show that ethereum is a good coin and useful in real life. and mostly focuses on the hard fork as a good thing indirectly which really isn't

besides banks and a lot of other big financial groups have been working on their own blockchain based on bitcoin for a very long time, and it has nothing to do with eth and what it has brought to us.

--looking for signature--
yenxz

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 09:03:39 AM

maybe are they will use blockchain for better Security settings and increase the speed of the transaction and will develop blockchain their personal as well as adding features on their blockchain ,
I think the banks will not care about assets like bitcoin / blockchain or the other
jukka

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 01:08:26 PM

This might look like a basic question and I'm sorry I have to ask, but it really is not clear to me:
What use do banks have from an own blockchain? They have their centralized servers, isn't that a better solution for them?

in most use cases you are right. however there might be some which requires transparency you can easily achieve with blockchain tech.
Kotone

Activity: 1372
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2016, 01:59:44 PM

We'll, they are searching for the possibilities that they can use bitcoin in the future time. Maybe some other time, Bitcoin will be released soon in popular Banks. And maybe they will also add a private blockchain once they starts using bitcoin. This time, bitcoin is still on demand, but what happens if bitcoin will stop producing ? Will bitcoin still be released at banks ? Will there be a new Cryptocurrency to be used ? ETH will be good btw.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: