Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:41:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: forget # of posts, make it # of 'thank-you's  (Read 1518 times)
bitcoinewbie (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:57:28 AM

i think it would be more effective if in order to advance you had to get a certain number of 'thank-you' clicks from people who you help out rather than just mere posts. If you get # of troll votes you digress back into restricted access until your 'thank-you's go back up.

this way you could allow all these new mods to get back to being the regular posters they are and you allow this section to be a cluster fuck that is weeded by those who want to advance to regular status.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Artefact2

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 07:59:20 AM

i think it would be more effective if in order to advance you had to get a certain number of 'thank-you' clicks from people who you help out rather than just mere posts. If you get # of troll votes you digress back into restricted access until your 'thank-you's go back up.

this way you could allow all these new mods to get back to being the regular posters they are and you allow this section to be a cluster fuck that is weeded by those who want to advance to regular status.

I agree, but it is hard for newbies to get "thank you"s, because they will most of the time ask the questions, not answer them. Never mind the fact that most people simply ignore the functionality exist at all.

I knew there is/was a "reputation" thing, and mysteriously I can't see it anymore Undecided

A pool-biased blockchain representation, by me: pident (WTFPL)
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:00:23 AM

It's true the Thank You solution would be another alternative to 50 posts. But as long as the moderation team can keep up with troll posts it will pretty much work to be the same.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
bitcoinewbie (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:13:13 AM

I agree, but it is hard for newbies to get "thank you"s, because they will most of the time ask the questions, not answer them. Never mind the fact that most people simply ignore the functionality exist at all.

I knew there is/was a "reputation" thing, and mysteriously I can't see it anymore Undecided

there will always be brand new newbies that ask questions that 2 minutes of research will result in an answer, if you want to advance out of newbie stage, you do a little homework and help out someone else.
Ruxum

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:19:36 AM

Or it could be a combo. 

50 posts and 5 thank you's!
bitcoinewbie (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:25:23 AM

Since i made the OP i have been thinking about it and i really like my idea, and that is something i don't say often. By setting an amount of thank yous that must be received you force any would-be troll to either keep his noise in one place or to at least pretend to be a useful member of society for a bit, and who knows, they just may enjoy that more than trolling.
TheGer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:27:36 AM

How about they just take Bitcoin donations to unlock full membership.....  Yeah that'll work!
bitcoinewbie (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:43:22 AM

How about they just take Bitcoin donations to unlock full membership.....  Yeah that'll work!

I think a solution that still allows non-bitcoin holders to talk to bitcoin holders is considerably better than this idea.
TheGer

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:51:17 AM

You mean the trolls?  Lol
bitcoinewbie (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:52:52 AM

You mean the trolls?  Lol

certainly you must realize that not all non-bitcoin holders are trolls...
TheGer

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:10:25 AM

Well I've been mining kicks in the ass for awhile now.  I'd be happy hand those out for free to get rid of this garbage.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:14:19 AM

You've just described witcoin
  http://www.witcoin.com

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

spruce

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:23:16 PM

i think it would be more effective if in order to advance you had to get a certain number of 'thank-you' clicks from people who you help out rather than just mere posts.

I think that's a great idea. But how does one actually DO a thank you click for another's post? I've spent 15 minutes trying to find some icon to click, or a FAQ that describes the procedure. Is it turned off in my newbie setup or am I just blind today or something?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:39:04 AM

But how does one actually DO a thank you click for another's post? I've spent 15 minutes trying to find some icon to click, or a FAQ that describes the procedure. Is it turned off in my newbie setup or am I just blind today or something?

The OP (original poster)  was a feature that would be useful, if it existed.  These forums run on Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software which has no "thank you" option.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

spruce

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:44:37 AM

The OP (original poster)  was a feature that would be useful, if it existed.  These forums run on Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software which has no "thank you" option.

Ah! Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: