Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:25:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [HELP] Can I build ASIC hardware with Windows OS ?  (Read 886 times)
indohardware (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 03:02:53 PM

I'm sorry before,
I wanted to make a piece of hardware with ASIC, but using windows operating system. is it possible?!? I want to make a study of it, for my work, beg to know, to share knowledge here.

great hope  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 03:40:24 PM

Is this going to be fundamentally different than, say, plugging a USB-connected miner into a Windows computer and running cgminer to control it?

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 03:52:15 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2016, 07:48:39 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Why use Windows??? Even a stripped down embedded version will still only need maybe 10% of it's functions available to service mining ASIC's.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 06:43:09 PM

Not to mention the massive overhead and poor stability anything Windows would inflict on the very SMALL system required to run an ASIC device.
There's ZERO POINT to this concept, and every reason in the world to avoid the concept.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 11:45:07 PM

I think he wants to design ASIC hardware & needs to know what program can do it in Windows  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 12:53:43 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2016, 01:04:23 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

I'm sorry before,
I wanted to make a piece of hardware with ASIC, but using windows operating system. is it possible?!? I want to make a study of it, for my work, beg to know, to share knowledge here.
great hope  Smiley
I think he wants to design ASIC hardware & needs to know what program can do it in Windows  Cool
Hmm, I present the OP the following choices to help clarify what they want to do:

1) Do you want to design a complete stand-alone miner like Bitmains including make a new design for the hash boards BUT instead of using linux and a Pi or BeagleBone or Audrino, instead make the controller using Windows and a NUC or other small PC to control the ASIC's?
  or
2) Do you want to design just a controller to run existing (Bitmain or other make) hash boards?
  or
3) Do you want to just control an existing miner from a Windows program?
  or
4) Do you want to design ASIC's?

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 12:57:09 AM

If your asking if you can build an ASIC that runs windows then no, you cannot.  It takes tens of millions of dollars in fabrication and design costs to get an ASIC and you would need a team that knows what they are doing.  I would look into the current manufactures and buy one to run in your house to start off.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 04:15:58 AM

If your asking if you can build an ASIC that runs windows then no, you cannot.  It takes tens of millions of dollars in fabrication and design costs to get an ASIC and you would need a team that knows what they are doing.  I would look into the current manufactures and buy one to run in your house to start off.

It would be windows running the asic, not the asic running window's.  There is not a chance any miner comes out that uses windows as OS.   Window's has ran certain miner's and honestly it does not end well on the few that focused on window's.  Only one I can think off the top of my head was a Scrypt miner the SF-28 that actually had a window's only support (at least when I owned it)... and it really did not end up well long term.

You can use windows to learn with a compac.   Sidehack posted above... he actually get's a ton of credit with making these usb stick miner's.   With it you can learn a lot with cgminer and actually using commands.   It is a fun project BUT before going window's route on it I would invest in a raspberry PI.   There are great tutorial's and you can run it on a low cost controller this way vs a full windows machine.

But in all honestly to OP most miner's at this point are pretty GUI.  Look at any recent decent sized miner you will see you don't really design anything... it's already done and you really just put in your pool info.   If your wanting to "build" an asic is not really for you possibly a Ether machine with GPU's if you really have the bug to build.... but that get's into a whole different topic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: