Bitcoin Forum
November 20, 2017, 05:35:35 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cgminer messed up my computer, please help  (Read 740 times)
kittyhello

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:53:17 PM

hello, I've recently discovered bitcoins and farming methods. I downloaded cgminer and was playing around with it a little then i followed a tutorial online. The tutorial told me to enter some text into a notepad and save it as a .bat file. The command was something like -256 memory 300 something. I ran the bat file, it messed with my whole system! (well, GPU). The screen becomes very pixelated and unresponsive and after a while i get a blue screen. Now it happens everytime i reboot (1 minute into windows). Is there anyway for me to stop this .bat file from running?
here is some info about my computer:
i5 cpu 2.5ghz
hd 5870
8gb ram
windows 7
PLEASE HELP!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deathcode

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:57:04 PM

delete the bat file maybe? that'd be a good start.
use F8 to start your computer in safe mode and nothing should run that will trigger a blue screen.
not sure what kind of tutorial made you create a bat file, maybe to automate the whole string you need to type to start cgminer?

usually cgminer can be run without any command options, you can customize it once you're running it and then save the cgminer.conf file and then run the cgminer.exe -c cgminer.conf and it will load your configuration.
you can create a .bat file for that whole string if you want to, but still unsure what you did.
You need to be more specific when asking for help

kittyhello

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:10:04 PM

thank you for reply
i entered this into a notepad and saved as a .bat file and ran it
-v 2 -w 256 -g 4 -k phatk -I 8 --gpu-memclock 300 --temp-target 65 --auto-fan
now my gpu clock is always at 100MHZ and memory at 150MHZ
deleting the .bat file didnt help
any help is appreciated thank you!
deathcode

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:29:58 PM

thank you for reply
i entered this into a notepad and saved as a .bat file and ran it
-v 2 -w 256 -g 4 -k phatk -I 8 --gpu-memclock 300 --temp-target 65 --auto-fan
now my gpu clock is always at 100MHZ and memory at 150MHZ
deleting the .bat file didnt help
any help is appreciated thank you!

That doesn't make sense because I don't see any commands in front of all those parameters so the bat file won't do anything other than giving you a quick "command not found" message in a command prompt window.
can you share the tutorial you were using?
link?

kittyhello

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:32:55 PM

sorry, that is the wrong command
the one that i entered is
start /affinity 0x2 cgminer -o pit.deepbit.net:8332 -u ACCOUNT -p PASSWORD  -v 2 -w 256 -g 4 -k phatk -I 1 --gpu-memclock 300 --temp-target 65 --auto-fan
i followed this tutorial here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=63383.0
post #20
thank you for your help! and eager for a solution
deathcode

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:43:32 PM

sorry, that is the wrong command
the one that i entered is
start /affinity 0x2 cgminer -o pit.deepbit.net:8332 -u ACCOUNT -p PASSWORD  -v 2 -w 256 -g 4 -k phatk -I 1 --gpu-memclock 300 --temp-target 65 --auto-fan
i followed this tutorial here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=63383.0
post #20
thank you for your help! and eager for a solution

That command shouldn't affect your system if you start your system in safe mode.. have you tried doing that?
Also, the start /affinity is pretty pointless, all it does is assign a specific CPU to the cgminer, at the current speeds and processing power, that's like telling a SMART car to run on a formula 1 track because the nascar track has cars in it.... (if you get my analogy)

I'm curious as if your video card has somehow retained the cgminer's configuration and the memory clock is just way too slow?
have you tried reinstalling the drivers of the video card?

kittyhello

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:19:55 PM

well shit..... i ran the command in normal windows mode because i assumed the safemode step was just to get rid of my current drivers and install the specific versions, which i already have all those. I didnt think that his whole tutorial was in safemode
is there anyway i can revert these changes? system restore didnt seem to help. Do i have to write another batch file to fix the current one?
thank you!
deathcode

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:54:34 PM

well shit..... i ran the command in normal windows mode because i assumed the safemode step was just to get rid of my current drivers and install the specific versions, which i already have all those. I didnt think that his whole tutorial was in safemode
is there anyway i can revert these changes? system restore didnt seem to help. Do i have to write another batch file to fix the current one?
thank you!

Ok so you stated that you're investigating and experimenting with mining and farming, so I'm guessing this computer is your desktop computer that you use for every day tasks correct?
Again, try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them. Have you done this?

kittyhello

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:59:21 PM

it is my everyday use desktop, I have tried to uninstall/reinstall drivers many times but it seems the batch file makes it so that doesnt matter what version of the driver i choose, the clock and memory speed is always capped at 150/100
im starting to think that the only way to fix this is to write another batch file which i have no idea how.
the last option is to reformat...
if you know anything please let me know, thank you for being patient and helping me, i mean it!
kittyhello

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 12:07:44 AM

after hours of fighting i managed to fix the problem. I googled how to write commands that delete registry files and wrote a command that deleted all the AMD's registry on the machine, rebooted and reinstalled the drivers and everything comes back to normal...thank god
i really appreciate your help, thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.